Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bottling Bands

Options
  • 11-06-2007 10:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭

Just read an article on last year's Reading where My Chemical Romance and Panic at the Disco got bottled rather severely

Is it ever justified? And am I wrong in saying that metal fans are generally the first to abuse support bands (I've heard horrors stories of what happened to Linkin Park and Lost Prophets at Metallica gigs)

Personally, I think that physically endangering a band is taking things way too far. Just walk away, or boo if they're really that bad. A good heckle's always fun too;) opinions?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Okie

Lost Prophets got some abuse that day! Bottles, toilet roll and tennis balls(!?!) were some of the things fired in their general direction. They weren't great but I don't think they deserved all that!!! Kinda felt bad......after a while! ;)

Have a look at how poor ol' Fiddy fared out at the Reading festival a while back!

Throw 'em if you got 'em!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Sinfonia

Daphne and Celeste
    I think that one was justified

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

I think it's pretty god damn juvenile. I've certainly loathed some support bands, and some bands at festivals before, but I've never been tempted to bottle anyone. I'd just go to the bar while they're on.

Sadly, hurling things at concerts just seems to be the 'Done' thing. I find it just as often happens to poor sods in the audience. Just on Sunday, the guy right infront of me at Dream Theater got a nasty bash from a full water bottle.

Hurling a bottle is a very scumbaggy thing to do.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Can't ever imagine a bad annoying me so much into throwing something at them to inflict an injury. As above, i'd not go and see them or wait til they've done their ****ty little poem or song.

While Daphne and Celeste are ****ing awful i think pissing in a bag and throwing it at them is ****ing disgusting.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

uh

did that actually happen?
    lol

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

Driver 8 wrote:
    Is it ever justified?

No. If you believe there is ever just cause to fire a missile at someone just because you dislike the music they play, or for any other reason for that matter, then you are a ****ing worthless piece of **** who should be locked away from civilised society until your ****ty existence comes to an end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Driver 8

I know it's not specific to metal, but still, the instances of bottling at reading, and download in england, and metallica gigs, why are metal fans so violent in their reaction to bands they dislike?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

I think it's pretty god damn juvenile. I've certainly loathed some support bands, and some bands at festivals before, but I've never been tempted to bottle anyone. I'd just go to the bar while they're on.

Sadly, hurling things at concerts just seems to be the 'Done' thing. I find it just as often happens to poor sods in the audience. Just on Sunday, the guy right infront of me at Dream Theater got a nasty bash from a full water bottle.

Hurling a bottle is a very scumbaggy thing to do.

i agree, but i don't think i've ever laughed so hard when lostprophets got belted out of it whilst supporting metallica

Driver 8 wrote:
    I know it's not specific to metal, but still, the instances of bottling at reading, and download in england, and metallica gigs, why are metal fans so violent in their reaction to bands they dislike?

Well I'd say most metal fans aren't, and it only takes a small group of scumbags to bottle an act, but I'd probably say the reasoning is a sense of elitism compounded by copious drinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭goodfela

lordgoat wrote:
    Can't ever imagine a bad annoying me so much into throwing something at them to inflict an injury. As above, i'd not go and see them or wait til they've done their ****ty little poem or song.

While Daphne and Celeste are ****ing awful i think pissing in a bag and throwing it at them is ****ing disgusting.

Bottles are bad enough but that is ****ing disgusting - never justified to lob things at a band...cowardly little ****ers in the middle of a crowd doing it...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

I went to see The Mainline in Tripod last year with a few mates, one of which was good friends with the band. While the band were about 2 songs into their set some guy in front of us hurled a full bottle of beer at the stage. Luckily enough it missed everyone, because if it hadn't of it would've certainly inflicted some serious damage.

It was quite a surreal moment, I couldn't believe that someone would do such a thing. I took us a few minutes to actually realise that it did actually happen, and when we did the mate that knew the band had a right go at the wánker that threw the bottle. As it happens he was just a drunk tosser trying to be all Rock and Roll or something.

Personally I would never throw something at a band I didn't like, I'd just leave or put up with them until the main act were on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭8k2q1gfcz9s5d4

Driver 8 wrote:
    Just read an article on last year's Reading where My Chemical Romance and Panic at the Disco got bottled rather severely

Is it ever justified? And am I wrong in saying that metal fans are generally the first to abuse support bands (I've heard horrors stories of what happened to Linkin Park and Lost Prophets at Metallica gigs)

Personally, I think that physically endangering a band is taking things way too far. Just walk away, or boo if they're really that bad. A good heckle's always fun too;) opinions?

first of all, i dont agree with a band being bottled. Bands like my chemical romance and panic at the kiddies disco have sort of a cult following, and you either love them or hate them. If they played at the download festival they wouldn't get bottled off stage in a million years, the reading crowd is a lot different

but linkin park and lost prophets, opening for METALLICA!!! that was never going to work!! the three bands are sooooo different!!
    One of my best friends was at that metallica gig, he actualy hit the singer from linkin park with a bottle!!

One of my best friends was at that metallica gig, he actualy hit the singer from linkin park with a bottle!!
    So your best mate is a scumbag then?

Bands like my chemical romance and panic at the kiddies disco have sort of a cult following, and you either love them or hate them. If they played at the download festival they wouldn't get bottled off stage in a million years, the reading crowd is a lot different

?

MCR did play at the Download festival, and they did get bottled. A lot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

As much as I despise bands like MCR and Lostprophets, bottling a band is a really sh!tty thing to do. If you don't like them - ignore them, thats what I did at Metallica a few years ago. I will never understand though, why promoters think its a good idea to put a band like MCR at Download, or a band like Lostprophets or LP supporting Metallica.

Kudos to Amy Lee at Download for her rant, after people threw bottles at her piano.

Nightwish wrote:
    Kudos to Amy Lee at Download for her rant, after people threw bottles at her piano.

What did she say?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

What did she say?

Im gonna guess 'stop throwing bottles at my piano'?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Driver 8

To be fair to Amy Lee, what does she have to worry about? That piano will probably absorb any damage, and if any of the other musicians get hit, she'll just sack them and hire new ones. ;)

?

MCR did play at the Download festival, and they did get bottled. A lot.
    i knew they headlined, i didn't know they got bottled. i assumed they wouldnt because they were headlining. if there was no band playing after them, people who dont like them had no reason to stay around, other than to bottle them, which is pretty stupid. I hate mcr, but i wont be botteling them off stage ot ******, il be at another band.

BaZmO* wrote:
    So your best mate is a scumbag then?
    no

• Advertisement

no
    Well by your own admission he is.

BaZmO* wrote:
    Well by your own admission he is.
    :confused::confused::confused: explain

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭magpie

I agree that the proper way to show disdain for a band would be for the entire audience to decamp en masse.

However, for 'tough guys' like fiddy cent, who has been shot 10,000,000 times, surely a bottling is nothing?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

One of the Feile's (possibly 97), everyone was tossing their empty coca cola/beer cups (paper) into the air (not at the stage) during the Manic Street Sweepers set. Literally thoussands at a time. If a few inadvertently struck the band, it wasnt a big deal because it was just paper cups. When did throwing bottles become cool? Its just not on. Someone could be seriously hurt.

From the opposite side of things, I needed stitches after being struck on the back of the head with a drumstick after the darkness's set some years back. I was walking away from the stage and the drummer was throwing (and I mean throwing) out some sticks and plectrums into the crowd but as I had my back to it, I was hit full whack. To make it worse, I didnt get the drumstick (as evidence) cos some idiot made off with it. He then thought it would be funny to hit one of his mates across the head with it. Some people!

:confused::confused::confused: explain
    Ergo, you're mate is a scumbag.
    One of the Feile's (possibly 97), everyone was tossing their empty coca cola/beer cups (paper) into the air (not at the stage) during the Manic Street Sweepers set. Literally thoussands at a time. If a few inadvertently struck the band, it wasnt a big deal because it was just paper cups.
    I was at one, I think it was 97. It was the last ever Feile, the Prodigy Headlined it.

Those paper cups flying through the air looked amazing and yeah, nobody got hurt. It was funny looking at everybody scrambling to the stands as soon as that torrential downpour started and then the Manics started playing Raindrops Keep Falling On My Head. :D

BaZmO* wrote:
    Ergo, you're mate is a scumbag.
    where did I admit he is a scumbag, as you said earlier?

where did I admit he is a scumbag, as you said earlier?
    Christ! :rolleyes: How much more do I need to spell it out to you?

BaZmO* wrote:
    Christ! :rolleyes: How much more do I need to spell it out to you?
    so you are saying he is a scumbag, based on the fact he threw a bottle at a band? you don't know the guy, you have never met him, but he is still a scumbag?

so you are saying he is a scumbag, based on the fact he threw a bottle at a band? you don't know the guy, you have never met him, but he is still a scumbag?
    Clap, Clap, Clap! Well done. A+

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

Yeea, in fairness people who behave as crudely and as disgustingly as that are scumbags, no matter where they are from.

Advertisement