Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DIY Water Feature

Options
  • 11-06-2007 10:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭

ANybody ever built their own??

Looking for ideas for a smallish one for the back garden.

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭solas

I built a waterfall one time. My garden helpd as it has a step incline where I wanted to place it, although you can create the illusion just as well without. All I needed was a decent pump kit (30euro) and a few rocks. Dig out two pools, one obviously at a higher level than the one below. They don't have to be so big, 1-2ft diameter should be ok. Place the pump in the bottom one and run the line (which you can extend with a garden hose) to the top pool. Join the two pools with rocks, creating ledges to help the waterfall effect.
    Its realtively simple and quick to do.

http://www.valleywatergardens.com/images/ponds/12sm.jpg

this isn't mine but similar result achieved. :)

(edit:two pools aren't necessary, if you wanted to could just gather a bunch of rocks, layer them up over a sunken basin of water and pipe the line through to create a free standing waterfall.)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,589 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I made one from a very large round pot and a smaller one on top so the water came out of the top one and flowed into the bigger one. I thought I had a pic but its gone, if its of any interest I'll take one and post it tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭boy_wonder

Thanks for the replies guys.

I think the next step is to source the materials i.e. stones/rocks & pump.
    Is it handy enough to cement rocks together?? Or what would one use.

Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭solas

I didn't bother, just laid them atop one another which came in handy when it came to removing it but it depends onwhat your doing, a bit of cement might come in handy to stabilise it. btw, I gathered a nice amount of decent sized rock from a newly built housing estate if you know of anyone after moving in somewhere new tell them to start filling up the car :)
    (alternatively you can buy a bag of largeish stones for a few quid at the garden centre)

pump and lining shouldnt cost any more than 50 euro and you're on your way

Advertisement