Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

id Software showcase new engine.

Options
  • 11-06-2007 10:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.joystiq.com/2007/06/11/id-software-debuts-new-engine-at-apple-conference/

Can't really tell much from the pictures, he is talking about displaying 20gigs of texture data in a scene. Loading that much data could mean having massive draw distances with all unique textures. He also talks about dynamically loading textures onto surfaces (rather than decals) so you could have surface deformation etc etc with proper texture effects.

I have a feeling it's gonna be a Max Max type post apocalyptic world where you race to earn your freedom or something.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

Carmack wrote:
    20GB of textures covering this track.

is this not bad news for DVD?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

These textures are generated, not stored.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Also its a demo of the technology, not an effective application of the tech as we'll see it in games.

Of course not, and to think otherwise would be silly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

They've made it fairly clear that it is a game. Not that particular level that they're showing perhaps, but they did announce a game using this engine which will be a new IP and different to what id are known for. We'll see at mini-E3.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Looks a bit like Motorstorm doesn't it?

I don't think thats the actual game though. They have vehicle physics from ET:QW there, so might have vehicles in the game, but not for that purpose.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭madrab

a big meh from me, sure it looks pretty, but until i am able to see someone take a rocket launcher to one of those pretty cliffs & cause a big ole avalance i wont be impressed

give me physics not fancy textures

It'd be really slow then :>

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭LookingFor

Giblet wrote:
    These textures are generated, not stored.

They are stored. 20GB is their size when uncompressed, however. In an interview before they explained that they reduce the size by about 10:1 for storage on the disc. So in this case it would require about 2GB on disc.

That still sounds like bad news for DVD..certainly it flies in the face of all those who said that game sizes wouldn't get any bigger. It always sounded like a ridiculous argument, but a lot of people seem intent on convincing themselves and others of it because of various politics, shall we say. Hopefully as we see more and more stuff like this we can finally lay that one to rest.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

It wont be long till games extract to 20gigs...i mean Vanguard is 17gigs. Granted its massive, but still.

LookingFor wrote:
    They are stored. 20GB is their size when uncompressed, however. In an interview before they explained that they reduce the size by about 10:1 for storage on the disc. So in this case it would require about 2GB on disc.

That still sounds like bad news for DVD..certainly it flies in the face of all those who said that game sizes wouldn't get any bigger. It always sounded like a ridiculous argument, but a lot of people seem intent on convincing themselves and others of it because of various politics, shall we say. Hopefully as we see more and more stuff like this we can finally lay that one to rest.

Yeah I was wrong. They use Megagen for creating the textures in the first place. DVDs can hold over 9 gigs though.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,500 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Shiny and cartoony, like Doom3.

I do not like it tbh.

Giblet wrote:
    Yeah I was wrong. They use Megagen for creating the textures in the first place. DVDs can hold over 9 gigs though.

DVD-9 can hold about 7.95GB of data. There are a couple of other larger formats, but they're not widely supported.

Even taking a capacity of about 9GB, it's hardly much when textures in a single track/level could eat into about a quarter of that space..

Dual layer DVDs, multiple DVDs. It's not a big deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

Have people already forgotten the days when we got games on multiple CDs? Apply that to DVDs.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Cake Fiend wrote:
    Have people already forgotten the days when we got games on multiple CDs? Apply that to DVDs.
    Have people already forgotten the days when we got games on multiple floppy disks? Apply that to DVDs. :eek:

I feel old :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Smellyirishman

I was going to say the same thing Rabies!!

I remember my dad and I renting games from Santry and I think the record was something like 12 floppies.

Giblet wrote:
    Dual layer DVDs, multiple DVDs. It's not a big deal.

Well, if this were a racing game, it might become a pain in the ass having to change discs every couple of races. Think about playing online, where the server is cycling through tracks, and having to switch between them depending on which track is on which disc...ugh.

It's just speculative, though. We'll see how they approach it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

LookingFor wrote:
    Well, if this were a racing game, it might become a pain in the ass having to change discs every couple of races. Think about playing online, where the server is cycling through tracks, and having to switch between them depending on which track is on which disc...ugh.

It's just speculative, though. We'll see how they approach it.

I can't think of a single game in the last few years that ran off of the Dvd, its the reason why both the PS3 and Xbox360 got hard-drives.

Advertisement