Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Using an American Power Supply in Ireland/UK

Options
  • 11-06-2007 10:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭

Can anybody tell me if its possible to use an American Power Supply in Ireland or the UK? The Power Supply in question is a PC Power & Cooling 850 Turbo-Cool and it has a detachable cable connecting it to a wall socket with an American plug on it. Which it says use a 14AWG power cord. Can I just exchange the power cord for one with an Irish or UK plug or do I have to use a Transformer?
    Thanx for any replies I would really like to use this one.

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

Check the specs, if it supports 110-240volts all you need is a new plug, it may even have a switch on the back to change voltage...

If not you will need to get a transformer :( Better of selling it on ebay and buying 240volt psu...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

powersupply1.jpg

if thats the one your ok

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭Gerb68

That exactly the one. I came across one at a good price on eBay, Its for a PC I'm building. Have you used this one? I'm in Dublin and wasn't sure especially with no switch between 100 and 240 actually on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

I have yet to see a PC power supply that isn't multi-voltage, either automatically or via a switch. You can just change the plug or the cable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭Willymuncher

If its got 110-240v then it'll work no problem, friend of mine got all his parts off of newegg while here and the psu worked just fine for him at home.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

I have heard bad reviews of that psu. But then again its only a review. But 4 12v 17a rails is pretty poor. If its a good price go for it and your sure your pc is not going to need more power on the 12v rails.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭Gerb68

Just to Update,

I contacted the manufacturer PC Power & Cooling and asked if I could infact use this exact model of the Turbo-Cool 850 SSI in Ireland. I explained all about the 110 volt output in the US was different to the 240 volts output in Ireland and the UK. I said I purchased this model with a US power cord and wanted to know if I could simply change this to an Ireland/UK power cord.
    I also asked if Input: 100-240VAC 12A 50-60Hz
    .98 Power Factor

and if Active Power Factor Correction meant that, even with no switch located on the PSU that this Power Supply would adapt automatically to the output in Ireland.
    The reply I recieved was short and sweet they said "YES the power supply would auto-select the power output and all I needed was to change the power cord this is exactly what Active Power Factor Correction(or Active PFC) means.

Thanx to all who offered help. Not only do I now not have to fork out for a new PSU but know more about PSU's now than when I posted origionally.

P.S. I think Passive Power Factor Correction(or Passive PFC) means the PSU has a switch between 110 and 240 on the back.

Advertisement