Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Apples safari browser now available for windows

• 11-06-2007 10:50pm
    Subscribers Posts: 16,602 ✭✭✭✭

using it myself right now. seems quicker than either FF or IE7 so far
    for me. Have always liked the look of it so good to have the option
    when using windows machines..

http://www.apple.com/safari/

only possible issue I've had so far is that some text is a little over blurred with
    whatever anti-aliasing they are doing. it's fine on icons and graphics but on
    typed text they don't seem to have got it right yet.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,241 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Useless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

sdonn_1 wrote:
    Useless.
    Ah now, copacetic has one use. *giggles*

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055105710
    All I have to say it: *boggle* I won't be touching that for a long while(Even if the latest FF release is rather unstable).

• Subscribers Posts: 16,602 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Karoma wrote:
    Ah now, copacetic has one use. *giggles*

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055105710
    All I have to say it: *boggle* I won't be touching that for a long while(Even if the latest FF release is rather unstable).

cheers, i knew there must be a thread somewhere!

well argued sdonn you make a good case. :rolleyes:

so far safari works perfectly for every site I have visited and loads quicker than ie and ff so I would call that useful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,949 ✭✭✭trout

i like it so far ... can't see me switching from FF yet ... the add-ons for FF are just too useful :)

still it does seem faster to use ... i wonder if that is just down to a new browser, new local cache ... will it slow down in a couple of weeks once cookies and stale content build up ?

didn't see any anti-alias text issues ... maybe it's a fonts thing ?

edit : just spotted there are few Safari addons ... must give them a try, maybe the same functionality as my fave mozilla addons already exists for Safari.

I'd imagine you'd need a few days of running this before you could make a more permanent switch.
    Can we expect more Apple specific software cross-compiling for Windows platform ? Watch this space.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

its fast ,but plain.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

The whole concept of Safari was that it's a simple interface.
    Depends what you like.

Bear in mind, it's still in beta test mode. Proxy settings are currently 'dimmed out'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,970 ✭✭✭ActorSeeksJob

Yeah the Firefox add-ons are pretty handy, it's tempting to use Safari though.

Can anybody tell me what the memory usage is like for Safari? Firefox is like 40k for me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

According to /. story already 4 DoS and 2 full access exploits found in the product.

Uninstalled it to be on the safe side.

copacetic wrote:
    well argued sdonn you make a good case.

Ok let me make a better case, I think useless sums it up quite well tbh: :rolleyes:

-Text is blurry on every website as stated by OP
    -Too basic a design resulting in loss of functionality
    -I have plenty of RAM so i don't need the extra speed and didnt notice it tbh.
    -Don't like the fonts
    -Genrally don't like the look of it
    -Not as good as Firefox
    -Not multitude of addons that are really useful like Firefox

Will that do you? :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Preferences -> Apperance -> Font Smoothing - Light

That should clear the blurryness.

It's a beta, and if you're not willing to have a glance through what options are available, it's not for you.

• Advertisement

zabbo wrote:
    Preferences -> Apperance -> Font Smoothing - Light

That should clear the blurryness.

It's a beta, and if you're not willing to have a glance through what options are available, it's not for you.

Oh I know it's a beta...my opinion above is from fist impressions only - maybe I should have originally stated "First impression - useless" :rolleyes:. Im sure in future versions and as you have said by playing around with opitons it can be customised. But for me, FF does the job perfectly. Plus I just don't like the look of it :p

Incidentally that didn't clear the blurryness - another thing I noticed in the process was that clicking oin the address bar doesn't autoselect everything in it to be overwritten. Just one of those pet peeves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Will that do you?

nope.

-Text is blurry on every website as stated by OP - can be fixed, see above
    -I have plenty of RAM so i don't need the extra speed and didnt notice it tbh. - it has nothing to do with RAM, and its faster, don't know how you couldn't notice it.
    -Don't like the fonts - then change them then
    -Genrally don't like the look of it - you're repeating yourself now
    -Not as good as Firefox - since you give no explanation this point is 'useless'
    -Not multitude of addons that are really useful like Firefox - its been out 48 hrs.

want to improve your argument a little maybe?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

i'm sure safari is a good browser, but it's one major flaw (for me anyway) is simply that it's not firefox. i'm so used to firefox, the way it is, how to configure it, the addons etc. that anything else just feels "meh" to me at this stage... that'll be safari's biggest hurdle to get over imo. it has to get past the users of firefox or opera by appealing to them in the exact same way ff or opera does already.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,517 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

i'm sure safari is a good browser, but it's one major flaw (for me anyway) is simply that it's not firefox. i'm so used to firefox, the way it is, how to configure it, the addons etc. that anything else just feels "meh" to me at this stage... that'll be safari's biggest hurdle to get over imo..

ah, this same argument is made by Internet Explorer users when their asked why they don't move to Firefox or Opera etc

Its a poor argument ;)

• Subscribers Posts: 16,602 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

sdonn_1 wrote:
    Ok let me make a better case, I think useless sums it up quite well tbh: :rolleyes:

-Text is blurry on every website as stated by OP
    -I have plenty of RAM so i don't need the extra speed and didnt notice it tbh.
    -Don't like the fonts
    -Genrally don't like the look of it
    -Not as good as Firefox
    -Not multitude of addons that are really useful like Firefox

Will that do you? :p

not really, meaningless combined with idiocy tbh.

'don't like the fonts' 'not as good' 'plenty of ram'

wtf?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭morgana

Can't say anything more specific as it crashes right on open - the already mentioned networkcf.dll seems to be the culprit ...
    Not impressed at all at all - even a beta should be better than that

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,109 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Cabaal wrote:
    ah, this same argument is made by Internet Explorer users when their asked why they don't move to Firefox or Opera etc

Its a poor argument ;)

When I moved from ie7 to firefox it was a b!tch. The way things were in different places was annoying. A few days later I had gotten used to it and it was great. I used ie7 on my parents pc and I had the same problem as I had with firefox. All it takes is a few days getting used to it.

Advertisement