Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FSB/Memory syncing

Options
  • 11-06-2007 11:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭

Hi, Im thinking about my next build. I never paid much attention to all this FSB, memory speed etc stuff before, but I decided to take a look at it this time. I know its better to have your FSB and memory bus at the same speed, but I didnt know what factors were involved in it, what dual channel was, etc. After doing some research, heres what I found for my planned build:

e6600 Core2Duo
    Bits per clock: 64
    FSB Frequency: 266 Mhz
    Quad pumped: x4
    FSB Bandwidth: 8.6 GB/s

DDR2 PC4200 memory (Dual channel kit)
    Bits per clock: 64
    Memory speed: 133 MHz
    Double bus speed: x2
    DDR: x2
    Dual channel: x2
    Memory bus bandwidth: 8.6 GB/s

Is this correct? It seems like the basic (lowest speed on Komplett anyway) is enough for my chip. Are the higher speed sticks designed for overclocking then? And do I need to go dual channel if I dont want to end up with a 2:1 ratio? Thanks

Edit: I was looking at this one on Komplett: http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=312032.

Assuming, my understanding is correct, isnt the memory a bit fast for the processor, should I overclock it a bit to match the speed? I heard that Core2Duos overlock very well even on air.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Got it in one.

But with DDR2 prices so low these days you are better of picking up a decent kit of DDR2-800, it will give you some headroom in case you do decide to overclock and the price difference with DDR2-533 is very small.

Thats a good bundle, not too keen on the motherboard though.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭Thordon

Sounds good, I think Ill go with some DDR2-800 as you suggested, and pay the extra tenner for CL4 :).

Im a bit lost for the motherboard though, a lot of boards show max bus speed as 1066 MHz, that would not allow for any overclocking, I see some boards with 1333 MHz, that would give some room, but without messing with multipliers, its gonna top out at 333 MHz FSB * 9 multiplier = ~3 GHz.

Is the only way to go beyond this to use a better chip? The e6700 seems to have a multiplier of 10 allowing for 3.33 GHz, and I think the extreme version has an unlocked multiplier (or something).

I would be pretty happy with 3 GHz really, Im just curious.

That has to do with the chips. Get a P35 board, its the current chipset that supports 1333 FSB CPUs and DDR3 RAM, so its slightly futureproof in terms of supporting next gen hardware.

Most boards will go well over 333 MHz, I think you are getting confused there. Google for good reviews on boards, some boards OC well, others dont.

For example, the board Im using hits 3GHz on stock volts with an E6600, completely stable (ok, i need better cooling). 9*333 = 3GHz.

Also, current Conroe chips are all 1066MHz FSB, next gen 6x50 and X6850 ae 1333MHz, but I think some boards can get a BIOS flash to support this.

Ok, if it were me, I would buy the following now:

Intel Core 2 Duo E6420 2.13GHz Socket LGA775, 4MB, BOXED w/fan
    Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3R, P35, Socket-775, ATX, GbLAN, DDR2, ICH9R, PCI-Ex16
    Corsair TWIN2X 6400C4 DDR2, 2048MB CL4, Kit w/two 1GB Dimm's, E.P.P Technology

6420 Will overclock to 3GHz easily, and its 4MB cache will come in handy for gaming.

Just reading around OCUK, some guy has his E6600 up to 3.5GHz on a 440 Mhz FSB with 8x multi and his DDR2-800 RAM is at 4-4-4-12.

OCUK Thread

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭Thordon

Hmm, Im a bit hesitant to go for a cheaper chip, but if the cache is the same, its basically just a slightly slower 6600, and if I OC it to 3 GHz, it would be fine with me, I wouldnt be planning on any mad overclocks if I got a 6600 anyway.

The board is nice apart from the lack of SLI, I have a 7800GT atm, and was considering buying another one at some point in the future as an easy upgrade.

That RAM is the exact one I was looking at :). One question about it though, if I decided to get another 2 GB of DDR2-800 and put them in, would the dual channel still be enabled, would all 4 sticks need to be the same speed/timings for dual channel to work?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

DirkVoodoo wrote:
    Ok, if it were me, I would buy the following now:

Intel Core 2 Duo E6420 2.13GHz Socket LGA775, 4MB, BOXED w/fan
    Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3R, P35, Socket-775, ATX, GbLAN, DDR2, ICH9R, PCI-Ex16
    Corsair TWIN2X 6400C4 DDR2, 2048MB CL4, Kit w/two 1GB Dimm's, E.P.P Technology

6420 Will overclock to 3GHz easily, and its 4MB cache will come in handy for gaming.

Just reading around OCUK, some guy has his E6600 up to 3.5GHz on a 440 Mhz FSB with 8x multi and his DDR2-800 RAM is at 4-4-4-12.

OCUK Thread

my chip is at 3600 (450x8) with 4-4-4-15 but gota tighten the timmings when i get free time.

Woops, my bad, if you want SLi then the Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3P, P35, Socket-775, ATX, GbLAN, DDR2, 1333FSB, 2xPCI-Ex16 is €11 more from komplett.

Not sure about the RAM, but unless you are planning on "running" VISTA 64, then 2GB is more than enough, especially for games. Wait for DDR3 1333 later on before upgrading your DDR2, and for prices to drop once it becomes more mainstream.

I would buy a new card of the 8800 series rather than a second 7800.

DirkVoodoo wrote:
    Woops, my bad, if you want SLi then the Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3P, P35, Socket-775, ATX, GbLAN, DDR2, 1333FSB, 2xPCI-Ex16 is €11 more from komplett.

Not sure about the RAM, but unless you are planning on "running" VISTA 64, then 2GB is more than enough, especially for games. Wait for DDR3 1333 later on before upgrading your DDR2, and for prices to drop once it becomes more mainstream.

I would buy a new card of the 8800 series rather than a second 7800.

im pritty shure that the intel chipset does not support nivida you will need to get a 680i.

Argghh, of course, my bad again. Anyway, Sli is overrated IMHO.

• Advertisement

DirkVoodoo wrote:
    Argghh, of course, my bad again. Anyway, Sli is overrated IMHO.

yep.

Advertisement