Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

German Higher level

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭cocoa

E92 wrote:
    You can do it in English too. I'm going is the present tense but we can use it to talk about the future...We're going to play Golf tomorrow.
    Yes, but in english there's two different present tenses which have been molded to this purpose. In english you can say "I am playing soccer tomorrow" the same as "I am playing soccer now" but you can't say "I play soccer tomorrow" the same as "I play soccer everyday". And although using the present tense in german is correct, so is using the future tense, which also displays a greater knowledge of the language.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 chas_88

sorry about this E92, but I had to correct some of your mistakes...

In your full mark answer, just some small things, like "Fahrschulunterricht ist nicht hier pflicht" sounds better than "ist nicht pflicht hier". "Ich weiß,dass wir nicht perfekt auf den Strassen sind, aber wir sollen fahren lernen, wie ihr lernt zu fahren (wie ihr fahren lernt)." "Er ist erlaubt, ins Kino <i>zu</i> gehen".

I think nehpets was right with "Sinn für Humor". I've never seen "Sinn von Humor", that's like a literal translation.

as well as that...
    Übrigends (not übringends, as far as I know...thats not in the dictionary anyway) tut es mir leid spongebobgirl. Aber ich hab (habe for exams) das bevor nie gehört. Sind es (Im not surprised this confused people! Use gibt es. If youre trying to help people in an exam context, you shouldnt have written that!) andere Substantive, die nicht regelmäßig sind? Und wenn ja, kannst du mir bitte die Formen geben? PS ich weiß, wo meine Fehler oben stehen, aber was das State Examinations Commission wollen zu hören (hören wollen, because wollen is modal), und was die Deutschen eigentlich sagen ist (sind) sehr anderes (anders, its not like saying "something different" which is "etwas Anderes"). (Ich nehme an, dass du nicht Deutsche (deutsch, and adjectives dont take capitals, or you could say "eine Deutsche") bist oder nicht aus Deutschland kommst....wenn du auf (aus) Deutschland kommst oder Deutsche (same as above) bist, dann hättest du das schon bemerkt)

you're guaranteed an A1 though, they're just very small mistakes!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Nehpets

Thanks for the help E92!

"Es wird gesagt, dass die Iren rote Haare haben."
    "Es wird gesagt die Iren haben rote Haare"

Can I not say either?

And "das" and "dass" - how do I know which to use?

Also is it correct to say "Ich habe mehr geld als meinen freunden" (stupid sentence but just an example)

"Jeder Mensch ist anderes" - could I say "Jeder Leute sind anderes"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

chas_88 wrote:
    sorry about this E92, but I had to correct some of your mistakes...

In your full mark answer, just some small things, like "Fahrschulunterricht ist nicht hier pflicht" sounds better than "ist nicht pflicht hier". "Ich weiß,dass wir nicht perfekt auf den Strassen sind, aber wir sollen fahren lernen, wie ihr lernt zu fahren (wie ihr fahren lernt)." "Er ist erlaubt, ins Kino <i>zu</i> gehen".

I think nehpets was right with "Sinn für Humor". I've never seen "Sinn von Humor", that's like a literal translation.

as well as that...
    Übrigends (not übringends, as far as I know...thats not in the dictionary anyway) tut es mir leid spongebobgirl. Aber ich hab (habe for exams) das bevor nie gehört. Sind es (Im not surprised this confused people! Use gibt es. If youre trying to help people in an exam context, you shouldnt have written that!) andere Substantive, die nicht regelmäßig sind? Und wenn ja, kannst du mir bitte die Formen geben? PS ich weiß, wo meine Fehler oben stehen, aber was das State Examinations Commission wollen zu hören (hören wollen, because wollen is modal), und was die Deutschen eigentlich sagen ist (sind) sehr anderes (anders, its not like saying "something different" which is "etwas Anderes"). (Ich nehme an, dass du nicht Deutsche (deutsch, and adjectives dont take capitals, or you could say "eine Deutsche") bist oder nicht aus Deutschland kommst....wenn du auf (aus) Deutschland kommst oder Deutsche (same as above) bist, dann hättest du das schon bemerkt)

you're guaranteed an A1 though, they're just very small mistakes!

Yes I'm sorry. Thanks for showing up my mistakes. I'm always glad to be shown where I'm wrong. It most certainly is Sinn für Humor. I want to know why you said some of the things you said though. And by the way its übrigens(theres no d's in it), so that means we both got it wrong! I did say in another post that sind es should not be said. I know they dont accept it.Why is saying ,,Ich nehme an, dass du nicht Deutsche bist'' (I'm assuming that you're not German)wrong? I'm asking because you dont say Er ist ein Arzt, instead it's Er isr Artz. I wanted to use a noun, so I'd like to know.

As for the future tense, if using German thats not used by Germans themselves when writing letters(after all you're writing a letter to your pen pal, so you're supposed to 'know' the person) or in spoken German is considered knowing more of the language, then that says a lot about the SEC. I know the future tense is still used, just like they still use the subjunctive, but not in the situations where you have to write in German in the Leaving Cert. And using the future tense is a great opportunity to make lots of word order mistakes too. So instead of showing the examiner that you know another tense(in an inappropriate place mind you), you could well end losing marks because the word order changes when the future tense is used. Sure going by that you might as well use the Imperfect instead of the Perfect, even though the Germaans never use the imperfect in the sitations where you have to write German in the leaving.(with a couple of exceptions like sein, and I think for modal verbs the Germans use the Imperfect as well).

I know in the Oral using the Imperfect and the Future loses marks, instead of the Perfect and Present respectively. Of course when using the Present instead of the Future, you usually have to give some indication that it is the future you're talking about, like put in'morgen', 'nächste Woche' etc. Although something like 'Wir sehen uns wieder' can mean 'We'll see each other again'.

The 2 reasons why you should not use the Future tomorrow in the letter or in the Äußerung tomorrow are as follows
    1- the Germans would never use it in those situations
    2- it is much easier to make word order mistakes(than using the present)

I repeat the necessity of putting in some indication of the Future though, where it could be ambiguous, when you do that, like at the end of the letter, 'Hoffentlich sehen wir uns nächstes Jahr'.(Hopefully we'll see each other next year).

cocoa wrote:
    Yes, but in english there's two different present tenses which have been molded to this purpose. In english you can say "I am playing soccer tomorrow" the same as "I am playing soccer now" but you can't say "I play soccer tomorrow" the same as "I play soccer everyday". And although using the present tense in German is correct, so is using the future tense, which also displays a greater knowledge of the language.

I know that it is somewhat different in English, but in German there is only one present tense. We have 3 forms of the Present tense in English.

Ich gehe translates as I go, I am going, I do go, I will go or I'm going to go.

Like in English you wouldn't say as you said I play soccer tommorrow, instead you'd say I'm playing soccer tomorrow or I'm going to play soccer.
    And each of those translates to 'Morgen spiele ich Fußball' or if you dont like it like that 'Ich spiele morgen Fußball', though the second one is a bit of a mouthful to say, I wouldn't recommend it, but its certainly not wrong.

A lot has been made of keeping it simple. Its far simpler to use the present tense in German, as well as it being what the Germans say(which is the mot important reason really), than to use the Future(when talking about the Future), hence why I'm banging on about using it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭cocoa

E92 wrote:
    I know that it is somewhat different in English, but in German there is only one present tense. We have 3 forms of the Present tense in English.

Ich gehe translates as I go, I am going, I do go, I will go or I'm going to go.

Like in English you wouldn't say as you said I play soccer tommorrow, instead you'd say I'm playing soccer tomorrow or I'm going to play soccer.
    And each of those translates to 'Morgen spiele ich Fußball' or if you dont like it like that 'Ich spiele morgen Fußball', though the second one is a bit of a mouthful to say, I wouldn't recommend it, but its certainly not wrong.

A lot has been made of keeping it simple. Its far simpler to use the present tense in German, as well as it being what the Germans say(which is the mot important reason really), than to use the Future(when talking about the Future), hence why I'm banging on about using it.

:) ok, fine, you've converted me. No more future tense german for me. Considering the amount of marks that might be gotten/lost for this one tiny element (if any) having more fluent and realistic german is more important to me. Thanks for the info on "how the germans do it" I've never been to Germany yet myself. :)

Nehpets wrote:
    Thanks for the help E92!

Can I not say either?

No, you have to say the first one. For a start the second one has haben in the wrong place, and you left out the word von and also gesagt should be at the end. If you wanted to say the second one I would say ,,Es wird von den Iren rote Haare haben gesagt``.
    Nehpets wrote:

Well "dass" means that. Whereas "das" means the, that and who or whom.

You usually use dass after a comma when you want to say 'that', if you want to use a relative pronoun, then you would say 'das'(who/which/whom), and in a sentence where you say 'that that'. The first one will be 'dass' and the second one will be 'das'.

Like 'He said that that car was green' is ,,Er hat gesagt, dass das Auto grün war``.
    Nephets wrote:
    Also is it correct to say "Ich habe mehr geld als meinen freunden" (stupid sentence but just an example)

The first one is right for the most part, but you forgot about nouns taking Capital letters.
    If you want to use Leute, I'd use ,,Alle Leute sind anders".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭An Citeog

E92 wrote:
    Yes I'm sorry. Thanks for showing up my mistakes. I'm always glad to be shown where I'm wrong. It most certainly is Sinn für Humor. I want to know why you said some of the things you said though. And by the way its übrigens(theres no d's in it), so that means we both got it wrong! I did say in another post that sind es should not be said. I know they dont accept it.Why is saying ,,Ich nehme an, dass du nicht Deutsche bist'' (I'm assuming that you're not German)wrong? I'm asking because you dont say Er ist ein Arzt, instead it's Er isr Artz. I wanted to use a noun, so I'd like to know.

As for the future tense, if using German thats not used by Germans themselves when writing letters(after all you're writing a letter to your pen pal, so you're supposed to 'know' the person) or in spoken German is considered knowing more of the language, then that says a lot about the SEC. I know the future tense is still used, just like they still use the subjunctive, but not in the situations where you have to write in German in the Leaving Cert. And using the future tense is a great opportunity to make lots of word order mistakes too. So instead of showing the examiner that you know another tense(in an inappropriate place mind you), you could well end losing marks because the word order changes when the future tense is used. Sure going by that you might as well use the Imperfect instead of the Perfect, even though the Germaans never use the imperfect in the sitations where you have to write German in the leaving.(with a couple of exceptions like sein, and I think for modal verbs the Germans use the Imperfect as well).

I know in the Oral using the Imperfect and the Future loses marks, instead of the Perfect and Present respectively. Of course when using the Present instead of the Future, you usually have to give some indication that it is the future you're talking about, like put in'morgen', 'nächste Woche' etc. Although something like 'Wir sehen uns wieder' can mean 'We'll see each other again'.

The 2 reasons why you should not use the Future tomorrow in the letter or in the Äußerung tomorrow are as follows
    1- the Germans would never use it in those situations
    2- it is much easier to make word order mistakes(than using the present)

I repeat the necessity of putting in some indication of the Future though, where it could be ambiguous, when you do that, like at the end of the letter, 'Hoffentlich sehen wir uns nächstes Jahr'.(Hopefully we'll see each other next year).

Deutsche is a very literal translation of German (eg. Deutsche Bahn). Ich nehme an, dass nicht Deutscher bist is better here as you're distinguishing them as a German person.

The future tense is still widely used and not just in written German. I've been living and studying in Germany for the last 10 months and I can assure you that this is the case. I've even asked four different Germans this question and they all agreed that THE FUTURE TENSE IS USED IN BOTH WRITTEN AND SPOKEN GERMAN. They interchange both but have no particular rules for when to use either. Some use 'werden + infinitiv' if something is going to happen in the distant future, others not.

As for word order, it's easy. The conjugated form of 'werden' occupies the second position in a sentence with the verb infinitiv at the end of the sentence (just like with modal verbs). It's actually easier because you only have to know how to conjugate 'werden' rather than all the other verbs.

It is true that the perfect is used in spoken German (even with sein and haben) but I'm referring to the exam in general. You don't just have to write a letter and so it's also important to concentrate on other aspects.

cocoa wrote:
    :) ok, fine, you've converted me. No more future tense german for me. Considering the amount of marks that might be gotten/lost for this one tiny element (if any) having more fluent and realistic german is more important to me. Thanks for the info on "how the germans do it" I've never been to Germany yet myself. :)

Stick to what you've learned. That's what's being examined. All the tenses are still in use and although what E92 says is true to a certain extent, German's use the future tense when speaking as well as the present.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭Turnip2000

Gona cram hard for the next few hours .. any ideas what to look at?

Somebody told me to be ready for a Formal letter? Anbody have any ides?

• Advertisement

An Citeog wrote:
    I don't disagree with you. All I'm saying is that the future tense is still used and quite often at that. I'm actually studying in Germany at the moment and all these little things are used. Whether you're in a lecture hall with 500 people or a class with 5, you'll always be referred to as Sie. If I'm emailing a lecturer, I'll have to start with 'Sehr geehrter (Prof.) Dr. X'. Academic German can be quite different to that which you hear on the street. Präteritum and Perfekt are both used for the past tense, as are 2 forms of the future tense and less so the third (ich werde das gemacht haben).

I know they still use Sie in school, after all they call us Sie in the Oral and in the paper they refer to us as Sie still, but the point I wanted to make aboue 'Siezen' is that its not that widespread anymore.In more formal German its still there of course, in the situatons you described of course you'd never use du, and for instance if I were to talk to my my exchange partners parents I would always use Sie and not du.

But as you are studying in Germany, you will have noticed that an increasing amount of Ads these days use 'du' instead of Sie,especially those aimed at young people, which almost always use du. And of course the amount of ads with slogans in English never fails to amaze me. Similarly old people calling me 'Sie' on the Street which is really odd these days. Even on the trains young people are called du by the inspectors on the trains nowadays. Sure young people call each other 'du' even if they have never met the person before, if I were stuck for directions in Germany, and I asked a person even say 5 years older than me, I'd say du to them now, whereas once upon a time you'd never use du in that situation.

Going back to the Future tense, the point I've been making is that in the situations in Leaving Cert German where you have to write in German or Speak German, there is no need to use the Future tense. In the situations where you write German in the LC the Future tense is never used by the Germans. I said you need to recognise it in say a comprehension,and actually because the State Exams Comission are special, they put it into the tape I think it was last year or else it was 2005, in a situation where its never used in reality by Germans.

When I was there last year, they started saying things like 'Ich hole dich ab' which I assumed to mean 'I'm picking you up' but what they meant is I will pick you up. I asked why dont ye say 'Ich werde dich abholen' and they told me that Germans dont do that anymore. Its not impossible, but you wouldnt say it, so I'm told.

Even my old German teacher who would be big into using all the old words, like he cant bear people using 'von dem'(which is more modern), he'd want you to use 'des' instead, says that its more usual to use the present tense. Well they said that you can say it, but its out of date to say it. I have a friend who went there for 3 months on exchange. He said the same thing, they use the present to talk about the future, and that the future is not the done thing anymore, sometimes old people do it, but certainly not young people. I watch Deutsche Welle from time to time, and I have never heard them use it.

Of course its still in use(the Future), I dont deny it, and clearly you'd know better than the rest of us, since you're living with the language, but all I'm saying is that for those who are doing LC German tomorrow, there is no need to know how to write in it(Future tense), just simply if you hear it being used in the tape or if it turns up in a comprehension, or they ask for a verb in the Futur(or Zukunft, they're special enough to still use Präteritum for Imperfekt) in the Angewandte Grammatik section to recognise it and know what it means. There isnt really what you'd call 'acedemic German' in the leaving. Most of what we learn is about how to say stuff that young people in Germany say, and naturally to know when to use du or Sie, and what would 'get us by' if we were stuck in Germnany or if we had to speak German.

I'm going for an A1 in German tomorrow. I'm not going to be writing in the Future tense in the letter or the Äußerung for that matter. And I wont be using the Imperfect either. You can be rest assured that if I thought it were necessary to use either, I'd do it. I mean I know that Germans often use 'es sind' and not 'es gibt' as we're told, and they often say 'ich hab' for 'ich habe', but I won't be writing 'es sind' or 'ich hab' tomorrow, cause I know its gramatically wrong to do it.

E92 wrote:
    No, you have to say the first one. For a start the second one has haben in the wrong place, and you left out the word von and also gesagt should be at the end. If you wanted to say the second one I would say ,,Es wird von den Iren rote Haare haben gesagt``.

Well "dass" means that. Whereas "das" means the, that and who or whom.

You usually use dass after a comma when you want to say 'that', if you want to use a relative pronoun, then you would say 'das'(who/which/whom), and in a sentence where you say 'that that'. The first one will be 'dass' and the second one will be 'das'.

Like 'He said that that car was green' is ,,Er hat gesagt, dass das Auto grün war``.

The first one is right for the most part, but you forgot about nouns taking Capital letters.
    If you want to use Leute, I'd use ,,Alle Leute sind anders".

Thanks ;)

Auf dem Bild sehe ich drei Leute. Es gibt zwei Erwachsene. Sie sehen fern. Es gibt auch ein kleine Kind. Er sitzt hinter seine Eltern. Er liest ein Buch. Die Eltern sind shockiert, dass er will liest anstatt sehe fern.

Meiner Meinung nach ist ein Buch eine gute Alternative zum fernsehen. Ich liebe lese. Wenn ich Zeit habe, lese ich. Es ist spass. Es ist nicht nur sehr interessant sondern auch informative. Mein lieblingsbucker sind Horror Romane und Crimi. Mein lieblingsautor ist Stephen King. Er ist seltsam aber fantastisch. Ich glaube, dass fernsehen fur dumm Leute ist. Ich hasse "Big Brother". Es ist sehr langweilig und sinnlos! Ich denke, dass mehr Leute lesen sollen. Aber muss es ein Frage der Ausbildung ist.

In Irland sehen viele Leute "Desperate Housewives". Ich sehe auch es. Es ist nicht nur prima sondern auch komisch! Ich mag den Charakter "Susan". Sie ist sehr unbeholfen. In Irland ist es immer regnet. Es ist dieses Grunde, dass viele Leute vor den Fernseher setzen gerne. Einige Leute lieben Technologie und sie lieben gross Fernseher setzen. ich liever mag ein gute Buch!

Nehpets wrote:
    Thanks ;)

Auf dem Bild sehe ich drei Leute. Es gibt zwei Erwachsene. Sie sehen fern. Es gibt auch ein kleine Kind. Er sitzt hinter seine Eltern. Er liest ein Buch. Die Eltern sind shockiert, dass er will liest anstatt sehe fern.

Meiner Meinung nach ist ein Buch eine gute Alternative zum fernsehen. Ich liebe lese. Wenn ich Zeit habe, lese ich. Es ist spass. Es ist nicht nur sehr interessant sondern auch informative. Mein lieblingsbucker sind Horror Romane und Crimi. Mein lieblingsautor ist Stephen King. Er ist seltsam aber fantastisch. Ich glaube, dass fernsehen fur dumm Leute ist. Ich hasse "Big Brother". Es ist sehr langweilig und sinnlos! Ich denke, dass mehr Leute lesen sollen. Aber muss es ein Frage der Ausbildung ist.

In Irland sehen viele Leute "Desperate Housewives". Ich sehe auch es. Es ist nicht nur prima sondern auch komisch! Ich mag den Charakter "Susan". Sie ist sehr unbeholfen. In Irland ist es immer regnet. Es ist dieses Grunde, dass viele Leute vor den Fernseher setzen gerne. Einige Leute lieben Technologie und sie lieben gross Fernseher setzen. ich liever mag ein gute Buch!

Es gibt auch ein kleines Kind. Er sitzt hinter seinen Eltern (Dative)...Die Eltern sind (/sehen) schockiert (aus), dass er lesen statt fernsehen will...zum Fernsehen. Ich lese gern... Es macht Spaß...Meine Lieblingsbücher sind...again 'Autor' is a noun and must be capitalised.

Er ist seltsam aber fantastisch.-this sounds strange. I'm not sure what you're trying to say. Maybe, ich finde ihn komisch aber trotzdem fantastisch.

...für dumme Leute ist- jesus, that's a big harsh :p

Aber muss es eine Frage der Ausbildung ist- I don't know what you're trying to say here. It doesn't make sense in German.

In Irland schauen viele Leute "D.H" an. Ich schaue es auch an.

Auf diesem Grund, sitzen viele Leute gerne vor dem Fernseher.

"Einige Leute lieben Technologie und sie lieben gross Fernseher setzen."- again not sure exactly what you mean.

Aber ich mag lieber ein gutes Buch.

Nehpets wrote:
    Thanks for the help E92!

Can I not say either?

"Es wird gesagt, dass die Iren rote Haare haben." is perfect. If you want to say it the other way, you have one of two choices. Either:
    Es wird gesagt: "die Iren haben rote Haare." or
    Es wird gesagt, die Iren hätten rote Haare (Konjunktiv I).

'Das' refers to a definite article or relative pronoun, whereas 'dass' introduces a subordinate clause.
    eg. Es wird gesagt, dass....above
    Das Spiel, das Deutschland gewonnen hat.

Thanks. Could you explain "Die Eltern sind shockiert, dass er will liest anstatt sehe fern.". I was trying to say "The parents are shocked, that he wants to read rather than look at tv."

And should it be LieblingsAutor or Lieblings Autor

E92 wrote:
    I know they still use Sie in school, after all they call us Sie in the Oral and in the paper they refer to us as Sie still, but the point I wanted to make aboue 'Siezen' is that its not that widespread anymore.In more formal German its still there of course, in the situatons you described of course you'd never use du, and for instance if I were to talk to my my exchange partners parents I would always use Sie and not du.

But as you are studying in Germany, you will have noticed that an increasing amount of Ads these days use 'du' instead of Sie,especially those aimed at young people, which almost always use du. And of course the amount of ads with slogans in English never fails to amaze me. Similarly old people calling me 'Sie' on the Street which is really odd these days. Even on the trains young people are called du by the inspectors on the trains nowadays. Sure young people call each other 'du' even if they have never met the person before, if I were stuck for directions in Germany, and I asked a person even say 5 years older than me, I'd say du to them now, whereas once upon a time you'd never use du in that situation.

Going back to the Future tense, the point I've been making is that in the situations in Leaving Cert German where you have to write in German or Speak German, there is no need to use the Future tense. In the situations where you write German in the LC the Future tense is never used by the Germans. I said you need to recognise it in say a comprehension,and actually because the State Exams Comission are special, they put it into the tape I think it was last year or else it was 2005, in a situation where its never used in reality by Germans.

When I was there last year, they started saying things like 'Ich hole dich ab' which I assumed to mean 'I'm picking you up' but what they meant is I will pick you up. I asked why dont ye say 'Ich werde dich abholen' and they told me that Germans dont do that anymore. Its not impossible, but you wouldnt say it, so I'm told.

Even my old German teacher who would be big into using all the old words, like he cant bear people using 'von dem'(which is more modern), he'd want you to use 'des' instead, says that its more usual to use the present tense. Well they said that you can say it, but its out of date to say it. I have a friend who went there for 3 months on exchange. He said the same thing, they use the present to talk about the future, and that the future is not the done thing anymore, sometimes old people do it, but certainly not young people. I watch Deutsche Welle from time to time, and I have never heard them use it.

Of course its still in use(the Future), I dont deny it, and clearly you'd know better than the rest of us, since you're living with the language, but all I'm saying is that for those who are doing LC German tomorrow, there is no need to know how to write in it(Future tense), just simply if you hear it being used in the tape or if it turns up in a comprehension, or they ask for a verb in the Futur(or Zukunft, they're special enough to still use Präteritum for Imperfekt) in the Angewandte Grammatik section to recognise it and know what it means. There isnt really what you'd call 'acedemic German' in the leaving. Most of what we learn is about how to say stuff that young people in Germany say, and naturally to know when to use du or Sie, and what would 'get us by' if we were stuck in Germnany or if we had to speak German.

I'm going for an A1 in German tomorrow. I'm not going to be writing in the Future tense in the letter or the Äußerung for that matter. And I wont be using the Imperfect either. You can be rest assured that if I thought it were necessary to use either, I'd do it. I mean I know that Germans often use 'es sind' and not 'es gibt' as we're told, and they often say 'ich hab' for 'ich habe', but I won't be writing 'es sind' or 'ich hab' tomorrow, cause I know its gramatically wrong to do it.

I agree with you that the present is more commonly used, just like the dative case seems to be replacing the genitive (if you intend to keep up German I'd definitely recommend reading (Der Dativ ist dem Genitiv sein Tod). All I'm saying is that it's wrong to completely dismiss them.

Your standard of German is excellent and I've no doubt that you'll get your A1. You seem to be able to express yourself well and seem confident in your own ability. I'm just trying to help you that little bit more.
    Best of luck tomorrow to all of you :)

Nehpets wrote:
    Thanks ;)

Ein kleines Kind. Die Eltern sind schockiert, dass er nicht fernsehen will, sondern lesen will.(I actually don't know how to say what you wanted to say using anstatt exactly, however its wrong because 'will' is in the wrong place, but what I said means the same thing) Ich liebe Lesen. Es macht Spaß. Meine Lieblingsbücher sind Horror Romane und Krimis. Ich glaube, dass fernsehen für(if you dont have umlaut keys, you put in an 'e' after the letter that should have the umlaut , and if you cant write the ß, then just put in a double s,eg für=fuer, äußer=aeusser etc) dumme Leute sind(Leute is plural).
    Mein Lieblingsautor ist Stephen King. I dont get what you mean by ,,Aber muss es ein Frage der Ausbildung ist``.What did you want to say(in English) But I do know that its eine Frage. In Irland regnet es immer(I think). Deshalb(therefore or that's why) sitzten viele Leute gerne vor den Fernseher. Manche(einige isnt wrong at all, but Manche is nicer) Leute lieben Technologie und sie lieben vor den großen Fernseher sitzen. Ich lese gern ein gutes Buch!, weil es so entspannend und interessant ist!(I put that in at the end cause its just a nicer way to end it, and it will look better in the exam)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 chas_88

E92 wrote:
    Why is saying ,,Ich nehme an, dass du nicht Deutsche bist'' (I'm assuming that you're not German)wrong? I'm asking because you dont say Er ist ein Arzt, instead it's Er isr Artz. I wanted to use a noun, so I'd like to know.

In that case, I wouldn't use a noun, I'd just say deutsch. Thinking about it, you're more than likely right, as it's incorrect to use an article when talking about professions, as you've mentioned, and the same might apply for "du bist Deutsche". I've just never used it that way, I'd always use the adjective! Sorry if I wrongly "corrected" you there!
    Best of luck tomorrow!

E92 wrote:
    Ein kleines Kind. Die Eltern sind schockiert, dass er nicht fernsehen will, sondern lesen will.(I actually don't know how to say what you wanted to say using anstatt exactly, however its wrong because 'will' is in the wrong place, but what I said means the same thing) Ich liebe Lesen. Es macht Spaß. Meine Lieblingsbücher sind Horror Romane und Krimis. Ich glaube, dass fernsehen für(if you dont have umlaut keys, you put in an 'e' after the letter that should have the umlaut , and if you cant write the ß, then just put in a double s,eg für=fuer, äußer=aeusser etc) dumme Leute sind(Leute is plural).
    Mein Lieblingsautor ist Stephen King. I dont get what you mean by ,,Aber muss es ein Frage der Ausbildung ist``.What did you want to say(in English) But I do know that its eine Frage. In Irland regnet es immer(I think). Deshalb(therefore or that's why) sitzten viele Leute gerne vor den Fernseher. Manche(einige isnt wrong at all, but Manche is nicer) Leute lieben Technologie und sie lieben vor den großen Fernseher sitzen. Ich lese gern ein gutes Buch!, weil es so entspannend und interessant ist!(I put that in at the end cause its just a nicer way to end it, and it will look better in the exam)

I agree with everything there apart from 'Leute sind'. The subject of the sentence here is 'das Fernsehen' and this is singular. Hence, 'ich glaube, dass das Fernsehen (nur) für dumme Leute ist.

Nehpets wrote:
    Thanks. Could you explain "Die Eltern sind shockiert, dass er will liest anstatt sehe fern.". I was trying to say "The parents are shocked, that he wants to read rather than look at tv."

And should it be LieblingsAutor or Lieblings Autor

Its neither. Its all one word. das Lieblingsautor. In the same way its Fremdsprachenkenntnisse. (Sprachen should normally have a capital S, but when you use the Komposita, only the first word is a capital, but the last word decides the Gender eg die Bahn, der Hof, der Bahnhof)

• Advertisement

An Citeog wrote:
    I agree with everything there apart from 'Leute sind'. The subject of the sentence here is 'das Fernsehen' and this is singular. Hence, 'ich glaube, dass das Fernsehen (nur) für dumme Leute ist.

Thanks. Glad you told us that one. Indeed before I posted it I was debating whether it should be sind or ist, cause I made the opposite mistake before, saying ist, and then to be told Leute is a plural word. But clearly Leute wasnt the subject of the sentence, so basically is it as follows, that whether it is 'ist' or 'sind' at the end of that sentence is determined by what the subject of the sentence is? Oder ist das Falsch?

And another thing, when I was posting, I wasnt sure whether I should have been using fernsehen the verb or Fernsehen the noun, which is right and why?

For those of you who have problems with distinguishing the gender of nouns, this may be of help:

Masculine-der

nouns ending in:
    -er/ler eg. der Metzger
    -ling eg. der Liebling
    -or/ator eg. der Direktor
    -eur eg. der Saboteur
    -ant/ent eg. der Denunziant
    -ismus/asmus eg. der Enthusiasmus
    -ist eg. der Extremist

also, nouns constructed using the verb stem eg. schlagen- der Schlag

Feminine-die

nouns ending in:
    -ung eg. die Regierung
    -heit/keit/igkeit eg. die Freiheit
    -e eg. die Reise (important exception here is 'das Ende'
    -t eg. die Fahrt
    -schaft eg. die Mannschaft
    -ei eg. die Tyrannei
    -ion/ation eg die Reaktion
    -tät/ität eg. die Aktivität
    -anz/enz eg. die Ignoranz
    -ie eg. die Bürokratie
    -ik/atik eg. die Politik
    -age eg. die Massage
    -esse eg. die Delikatesse (important exception here is 'das Interesse')
    -ose eg. die Diagnose
    -ur/üre eg. die Literatur
    -ade eg. die Blockade

Neutral-das

nouns ending in:
    -tum eg. das Wachstum
    -nis eg. das Erlaubnis
    -sal eg. das Schicksal
    -sel eg. das Insel
    -ar/är eg. das Vokabular
    -at eg. das Sekretariat
    -ment eg. das Parlament
    -ing das Marketing
    ohne Endung eg. das Problem

also, nouns constructed using verb infinitive eg. trinken- das Trinken
    and nouns beginning with 'Ge-' eg. das Gespräch

Hope that helps :)

E92 wrote:
    Thanks. Glad you told us that one. Indeed before I posted it I was debating whether it should be sind or ist, cause I made the opposite mistake before, saying ist, and then to be told Leute is a plural word. But clearly Leute wasnt the subject of the sentence, so basically is it as follows, that whether it is 'ist' or 'sind' at the end of that sentence is determined by what the subject of the sentence is? Oder ist das Falsch?

And another thing, when I was posting, I wasnt sure whether I should have been using fernsehen the verb or Fernsehen the noun, which is right and why?

Genau. The subject of the sentence determines the way in which the verb is conjugated. eg. Ich sehe die Frau; ich sehe die Frauen.

In this case it's 'das Fernsehen' or the watching of TV in English. This is the subject of the sentence and as such can not be a verb.
    This sentence can be written as: Ich glaube, dass (das) Fernsehen nur für dumme (blöde) Leute ist.
    You can even leave the article if you want without it making a difference.

Most nouns that are common to both languages and have the same translation eg Sport(de)/sport(en) are das(Neutrum/Neuter) as well, with a few of exceptions like der Test,die Party.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 Gowranistan

And i thought i was good at german? You people are making me doubt my german skill.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭Turnip2000

And i thought i was good at german? You people are making me doubt my german skill.

I know the feeling. I think that your all focusing to much in the minor details of endings and what-not. I doubt very much that if your sentence structure and verb endings are correct your gona lose two many marks on the complicated stuff. I doubt the Germans them selfs even say all that GIK right!

Well i hope so anyway!

Don't worry about it. Languages are infinitely big, in that there's always more to learn. Just because you don't get some particular parts if the grammar or different ways of saying things, doesn't mean that you should start having doubts. The leaving cert is basically just a test of your basic understanding of the language and your ability to express yourself. I'm sure you know everything you've learned in class well and that's what you need. I'm sure you'll do fine. ;)

I wouldn't worry because one of them is in college (maybe I'm wrong, but I got that impression) and the other one is obviously gonna get an A1!

How would you say something like
    "With alchol comes violence"
    "Violence comes with alchohol"

VIOLENCE kommt mit Alkohol und Alkoholmissbrauch?

(What is violence?)

Turnip2000 wrote:
    I know the feeling. I think that your all focusing to much in the minor details of endings and what-not. I doubt very much that if your sentence structure and verb endings are correct your gona lose two many marks on the complicated stuff. I doubt the Germans them selfs even say all that GIK right!

Well i hope so anyway!

Of course you wont lose too many marks for things like adjectival endings but it's always better to know them. As I said, it's more about comprehension and expressing yourself than anything else.
    Nephets wrote:
    I wouldn't worry because one of them is in college (maybe I'm wrong, but I got that impression) and the other one is obviously gonna get an A1!

How would you say something like
    "With alchol comes violence"
    "Violence comes with alchohol"

VIOLENCE kommt mit Alkohol und Alkoholmissbrauch?

(What is violence?)

Alkohol kann gewalttätig machen. Violence ist 'die Gewalt'.
    I posted a link for Leo, an online dictionary, somewhere on the last page.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27 Gowranistan

I didn't spend that much time learning the endings but i'm still hoping for a b1 as i got a b3 in the mocks and did a good oral. I hope that won't lose me too many marks.

Advertisement