Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

German Higher level

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

An Citeog wrote:
    Genau. The subject of the sentence determines the way in which the verb is conjugated. eg. Ich sehe die Frau; ich sehe die Frauen.

In this case it's 'das Fernsehen' or the watching of TV in English. This is the subject of the sentence and as such can not be a verb.
    This sentence can be written as: Ich glaube, dass (das) Fernsehen nur für dumme (blöde) Leute ist.
    You can even leave the article if you want without it making a difference.
    schönen Dank:D Du hast mir viel gehoflen. Hab ich rechts wenn ich sage, dass das Wort ,,hassen" ein sehr stakes Verb auf Deutsch ist? Es meint, dass mas total etwas hasst auf Deutsch, oder? Wie du weißt, wenn wir also wenn Jugendliche ,,hassen" auf Englisch benutzten, es ist nicht so stark. Aber die Deutsche interpretieren die Meinung von dem Wort wörtlich, oder?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Nehpets

On my mocks I got 5/60 for one of the comprehensions! :O That better not happen again!

I thought my oral went well but I think I'll lose the majority of the 20% going for tapework unfortunately.

As regards the engings eg das schöne Bier etc, we were told in school by a teacher who marks the paper that you have to make 5 mistakes of that kind before you lose marks. The big thing is word order, and having appropriate endings on the verbs like ich gehe and not ich gehen for instance. The articles should be right too,whatever about the cases, but I'd say that things like whether in takes the accusative or dative matter, but not that much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭An Citeog

E92 wrote:
    schönen Dank:D Du hast mir viel gehoflen. Hab ich rechts wenn ich sage, dass das Wort ,,hassen" ein sehr stakes Verb auf Deutsch ist? Es meint, dass mas total etwas hasst auf Deutsch, oder? Wie du weißt, wenn wir also wenn Jugendliche ,,hassen" auf Englisch benutzten, es ist nicht so stark. Aber die Deutsche interpretieren die Meinung von dem Wort wörtlich, oder?

Ja, hassen ist was starkes und klingt sehr aggressiv. Normalerweise sagt man so was wie "das gefällt mir nicht", "das freut mich nicht" oder "ich mag es nicht". "Das gefällt mir überhaupt nicht" klingt viel besser als "ich hasse es".

Danke, ich hab das gedacht. Als ich in Deutschland war, bin ich von ich hasse..... gesagt worden, und sie haben nicht so gut reagiert. Sie haben gedacht, dass es irgendwie komisch war, was ich gesagt habe.

Did I use the passive correctly there, cause I wanted to say "When I was in Germany, I used to say 'I hate...'.... " in the passive.And more to the point how would I say it if I dont use the passive?

For those who don't know, its not a good idea to use "hassen" in the exam or in German. Its interpreted very literally by Germans. You dont say it the way we do. When we say we hate something, use one of the expressions that An Citeóg gave above. If you want to say I f***ing hate something, or I despise somnething, only then should you use hassen in German.

• Advertisement

E92 wrote:
    Danke, ich hab das gedacht. Als ich in Deutschland war, bin ich von ich hasse..... gesagt worden, und sie haben nicht so gut reagiert. Sie haben gedacht, dass es irgendwie komisch war, was ich gesagt habe.

Did I use the passive correctly there, cause I wanted to say "When I was in Germany, I used to say 'I hate...'.... " in the passive.And more to the point how would I say it if I dont use the passive?

For those who don't know, its not a good idea to use "hassen" in the exam or in German. Its interpreted very literally by Germans. You dont say it the way we do. When we say we hate something, use one of the expressions that An Citeóg gave above. If you want to say I f***ing hate something, or I despise somnething, only then should you use hassen in German.

Yeah, "ich hasse diese verdammte Scheiße" is a good way to get your point across :D

You shouldn't actually use the passive in this sense. The passive is used when the subject of the sentence is irrelevant eg. In der Fabrik wird gearbeitet. The emphasis is on the action (working in this case) rather than the doer. In your sentence above, 'ich' is an integral part of the sentence and as such should be conjugated in the past tense ie. Präteritum or better still, Perfekt.
    In this case, 'Als ich in Deutschland war, habe ich immer/ein paar Mal "ich hasse" gesagt und/aber sie haben nicht so gut reagiert.'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Enemy Of Fate

Nehpets wrote:
    On my mocks I got 5/60 for one of the comprehensions! :O That better not happen again!
    How is that even possible?I mean I got a D in the honours JC, and have done pass german since, but in the mocks I thought i'd give the honours paper a shot.....and I still get 40%.And I don't think I got one of the adjective endings right in my letter.....so how the hell did you only get 5 marks?I mean the only way I could see that happening would be if you left the question after 3 minutes......or had never done german before in your life.

*shrugs*

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭Turnip2000

Im not 100% on this but rumor has it that Afrika/live 8 and Global warming might be making an appearance tomorrow morning.

This seems very logical because if you look back at past years the main themes come from big events which took place the year before the exam......like the special Olympics for example.:p

Anybody have any ideas on this? Ye or Ne?

Ah god, I hope not

• Advertisement

What he said.That would suck serious balls.

On a similar note I never noticed it until today, but the older exam papers are so much more difficult than the ones we've gotten in recent years.I swear if we got something like the 2002 paper i'd be completely ****ed.I couldn't even understand what the **** the grammar section was about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 Gowranistan

I couldn't even understand what the **** the grammar section was about.

Welcome to my world. Guessing and kowing a little bit usually get me at least half marks. Anyway if that does come up just do the letter.

Welcome to my world. Guessing and kowing a little bit usually get me at least half marks. Anyway if that does come up just do the letter.
    ......You're meant to do both.The letter AND the grammar thing.You don't choose between them!You choose between the letter and some picture with words under it.

The aplied grammer is only worth about 5% so in my honest opinion it can go suck on a lemon...Who wants an A1 anyway. Lemon Suckers thats who!!

......You're meant to do both.The letter AND the grammar thing.You don't choose between them!You choose between the letter and some picture with words under it.

I meant the live aid topical thing they didn't want for the ausserung. I know your meant to do both. Which is the picture thing with letters under it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭madnirvana

how do u guys answer the comprehention?

do u read first then answer or u read and when u find answer write it down?

i somehow spend more than 45 minutes on the comprehentions

any tips?

madnirvana wrote:

any tips?

Read the small words in italics above the comprehension and questions first because they will give you a general idea of the story. Then you read the comp.

I Answer the questions as i read because i find it easier that way...your less likely to leave a point out. And last time i checked they dont take marks away if ya write the wrong thing with the right thing.:p

How do u say..

All of the people were schocked?

'Alle leute waren Schockiert'' :confused:

madnirvana wrote:
    How do u say..

Thats right but Leute is a noun, therefore a capital L. And schockiert doesnt have a Capital letter at the start.

madnirvana wrote:
    How do u say..

Alle die Leute waren Schokiert?? hmmm its the simle things that make ya think/feel stupid!

• Advertisement

E92 wrote:
    Thats right but Leute is a noun, therefore a capital L. And schockiert doesnt have a Capital letter at the start.

and good luck tomorrow if ur doing german.

madnirvana wrote:

any tips?

I usually read the entire thing through but it takes longer so don't do it if you area slow writer.

Can someone tell me quicklu if this is an acceptable passive sentence

''Er wird dass gesagt''

Does that even make sense?I know you have to use ''werden'' and the past participle of something, but did I use it in the right way?

Can someone tell me quicklu if this is an acceptable passive sentence

''Er wird dass gesagt''

Does that even make sense?I know you have to use ''werden'' and the past participle of something, but did I use it in the right way?

It sounds all right to me. Anyway i really should be asleep or ill crash on the way to the damn exam. Good luck.

madnirvana wrote:

any tips?
    I usually just read the lines that have the answers on them.....usually cuts out bout half of the reading/translating.Only problem is if on the first comprehension, question 4 requires you to talk about something that isn't really covered well in the first section.If this happens I briefly skim through it and through some random stuff done, along with a line reference.Am done in bout 35 minutes and usually get 70+%.Much better at the 2nd comprehension though.Usually get 80% there.Pity I suck at everything else on it.Well i'm usually good at the letter, but out of the 50 marks going for the ausserung zum thema and the grammer, I usually get <25....and thats on a good paper!

It sounds all right to me. Anyway i really should be asleep or ill crash on the way to the damn exam. Good luck.
    Thanks great.Might just through something like that into my letter.It can't hurt.

waht does ''Er wird dass gesagt'' mean:confused:

is this sentence ok? ''Wenn ich bin nicht krank, würde ich nach deutschland fahren''.
    (if i were not sick, i would have travelled to germany)?

madnirvana wrote:
    waht does ''Er wird dass gesagt'' mean:confused:

is this sentence ok? ''Wenn ich bin nicht krank, würde ich nach deutschland fahren''.
    (if i were not sick, i would have travelled to germany)?

"Er wird dass gesagt" is wrong. The passive is used to stress the importance of the action (irgendwas sagen) rather than the doer (er). Hence, it should be "es wird gesagt". There's some examples of this in this thread eg. Es wird gesagt, dass die Iren rote Haare haben.

Madnirvana, you need to use the conditional in this sentence (in both clauses). Here it would be,
    "Wäre ich nicht krank, würde ich nach Deutschland fahren" (If I wasn't sick, I'd go to Germany) or
    Wäre ich nicht Krank gewesen, wäre ich nach Deutschland gefahren (If I hadn't have been sick, I would have gone to Germany) :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 spongebobgirl

Woah, this thread got REALLY pedantic last night!

How'd everyone get on? I was so glad the first comprehension wasn't too hard, and the questions were mostly in order of where the answer appeared in the text.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭nick23

Yeah wasnt difficult had some problem with the readin comprehensions seeing as you had to put the german answers in your own words. Apart from that no major problems I'd predict a midrange B

Advertisement