Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

car wont start, probably batter - will this lad fix it?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

Note that although it isn't made clear in the description, you need two cars to do this. It doesn't create energy out of nowhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭overdriver

If the batter is at fault, return to chipper for refund.

:D

Sorry...

Get a jumpstart or a push from a neighbour, go for a spin and see if she starts again later.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

okcomputer wrote:
    "it says engine must be running" to work - i dont know if my engine is running or not but the indicators work and there are various warning lights on the dash board - car wont start though
    I think it means the donor car should be running - if yours was running then you wouldn't really need to charge it using this method!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,009 ✭✭✭Wossack

you dont know if your engine is running, but your car wont start? huh?

this is a peculiar thread altogether...

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

overdriver wrote:
    Get a jumpstart or a push from a neighbour, go for a spin and see if she starts again later.

Injures the catalytic convertor I believe. Buy a booster pack.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭daedalus2097

Injures the catalytic convertor I believe. Buy a booster pack.

The cat converter will be damaged by an engine turning over a lot without starting, but for a push start there won't be much more turning over without burning than there would be with any normal start. The cat converter can take a certain amount of abuse, it's extended abuse (i.e. a cylinder not firing for a long time etc.) that will cause major damage. Likewise a jumpstart or a booster pack won't damage your cat converter any more than a cold start really - far more likely to damage some sensitive electronics in the car...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭okcomputer

Basically I havent turned the engine on in weeks so could that cause the flat battery? ...or could it be something else?

would this start my car instead:

http://cgi.ebay.ie/12v-CAR-BATTERY-CHARGER-MOTORCYCLE-MOTOR-BIKE-4-AMP_W0QQitemZ140125156575QQihZ004QQcategoryZ82529QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭fozzle

I got those top ones, the lighter to lighter ones from Halfords. Heap o'sh1te. Had to get proper jump leads off a mate. I won't be leaving the lights on again.

That charger is for motorbikes, are you sure it's strong enough for your engine? Why not just get jump cables and a mate's car?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭fozzle

okcomputer wrote:
    Basically I havent turned the engine on in weeks so could that cause the flat battery?

I think it can if the battery is close to death anyway, I know my dad's old car had to be run every day or else it needed jumping.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,835 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Just do a jump start and drive it around for 30 mins then leave the engine running for an hour or two, turn it off and try and start it again, if it starts, it's just the battery that was dead, if it doesn't, it might be the starter motor. Jump starts are easy and fun, just put the car in 2nd gear, turn the key to the position so the dash lights are on, get someone to push you and have your foot pressed in on the clutch, when you build up enough speed, take your foot off the clutch and it should jump start the engine, give it some revs immediately just so it doesn't conk out/stall and you're off. If you've parked it on a hill, even better, you wont need someone to push it. One person is enough to push it, I had to push my ford transit while someone sat in the driver seat to do it, a car is much easier so don't let anyone start moaning saying it's too hard for one person to push. Great exercise for the calves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,269 ✭✭✭✭Esel

cormie wrote:
    ...Bullsh!t....
    OMFG. Now cormie is an expert. Jebus a la Buddha I love you all!

@)
    (~~)

OP: Buy a battery charger (if you don't need it now, you will sometime). If you can't afford the time delay involved in recharging, buy a new battery. Remove the battery from your car, follow all the instructions supplied with the charger, and put the battery on charge for the recommended time. Refit the battery in the car and try to start, following the owner's manual's instructions. If the engine turns over and starts easily, you may be sorted.

If not, time to RTFM a bit more. Maybe you need a new battery, maybe you need fuel, maybe you need new plugs, or maybe you need to remove the mouse's nest from the air intake.

Alternatively, join the AA. But, advice from cormie regarding the internal combustion engine and it's application to transportation ..... let's just say you want to be on the leading edge, not the bleeding edge.

Not your ornery onager

I'm not too sure of the finer points of my methods, but it's just what I did when I was in the same situation and it worked:o

The way the questions were being asked reminded me of me:D so I thought I'd share what I knew in how to jump start a car as there's a chance the OP didn't know the method to jump start. Could you explain why what I said is bull**** please? Not being cheeky or smart, just curious as to what's wrong with it:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

okcomputer wrote:
    car wont start, probably battery - will this lad fix it?

http://cgi.ebay.ie/12v-CIG-LIGHTER-CAR-BATTERY-CHARGER-27-000-UK-SELLER_W0QQitemZ320123842902QQihZ011QQcategoryZ30928QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

"it says engine must be running" to work - i dont know if my engine is running or not but the indicators work and there are various warning lights on the dash board - car wont start though
    Lol, that won't fix anything.
    Its a jump lead for people who don't know how to use jump leads.
    No, that will charge your battery. Thats why they call it a 'Battery Charger'

btw 'car won't start' isn't really enough to make a useful diagnosis.
    Is there a noise from the engine (i.e. usually the front of the car) when you turn the key?
    If so, try to describe the noise.
    -edit- You did put the key in and turn it, didn't you?

As for 'is my engine running'?
    Again, sound is one of the key indications. If theres a kind of growling noise from the front, the engine is running. Getting a bit technical, another way to know is the rev counter, if your car is equipped with one. If the needle points to anything other than '0', then the engine is running.

Though I'm pretty sure the running engine mentioned refers to the engine of the other car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭georgie59

Really think that some of the posts on this thread could of been written by women, no sorry thats not fair to the superior sex. (I'm female and would never of dreamt of trying to start a car with one of those things).
    If you don't know if its the battery or not why not get someone to look at it that would know.
    Agree that the rev. counter is a very good indicator as to weither or not the engine is running.

alright lets clear this up, I am male, and age 29 but unusually i dont know a thing about cars

when i say "start my car" i mean get it to the position where I turn the key and its ready to DRIVE

now...when i turn the key ...if the battery is dead (please note i am only guessing it is dead i dont have a clue ) ....should i still see some revs?
    is revving on a dead battery bad for the car?

Update: turning the key now does absolutely nothing. only the lights work, the central locking is also gone :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,229 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Your battery is most likely completely knackered from repeated attempts to start the car without success.

The battery only recharges itself while the engine is running, i.e.when car is successfully started. Your repeated attempts to start it have most likely drained the battery completely.

right so what do i do?

I'm Guessing i'll need to buy a charger

...by the way I have "Breakdown Assistance" with my Quinn Direct insurance, should I call them to fix it??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

okcomputer wrote:
    right so what do i do?

I'm Guessing i'll need to buy a charger

...by the way I have "Breakdown Assistance" with my Quinn Direct insurance, should I call them to fix it??

Jump start as explained by cormie or jump leads connected to another car.
    Jump leads is probably best, a lot less physical effort involved.
    Once you get the car running leave it on for a good while to let the battery fully charge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

okcomputer wrote:
    Update: turning the key now does absolutely nothing. only the lights work, the central locking is also gone
    So, to be clear, it was previously making a noise but not starting.
    It wasn't the battery. The battery is dead now though.
    okcomputer wrote:
    Call a mechanic.

• Advertisement

Gurgle wrote:
    So, to be clear, it was previously making a noise but not starting.
    It wasn't the battery. The battery is dead now though.

It probably is still the battery, he probably just drained it and now it doesn't have power to do anything. Happened to my friends car a few weeks ago, a bit of juice from my van and it started fine after a while.

okcomputer, if you want to find out what it is without spending a penny, jump start it like I explained above and leave the engine running for a good while. I had a problem that my van wouldn't start (it was the starter motor) but I ended up paying a call out mechanic €50 and all he did was what I explained above to bring it up to his garage where it did actually need repairs, but in your case, it's probably just the battery so you wont need any repairs, just to keep it running for a while after you do it to recharge the battery:) I'm not sure why Esel was saying what I said was bull**** so maybe wait till he answers that though;)

thanks Cormie and everyone, I'll attempt jump starting, then i'll attempt buying a battery charger if that doesnt work

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

cormie wrote:
    jump start it like I explained above...
    Don't confuse him now! You explained push starting, not jump starting. Jump starting is when you use another running car or another battery to get power from.

As others said, push starting could potentially damage the cat in petrol engine cars, though saying that IIRC some manufacturers don't even recommend jump starting their cars. Refer to your car's manual if you have it.

Oh yeah:o Let us know how you get on in anywayiz

well, I called Quinn Directs Breakdown assistance people, and it turns out the call out to jump start your car :)
    Happy days , i'll do that on monday

Hehe, good stuff. Make sure to watch what they are doing now so you know for the future, it takes like 5 mins and is easy to do:)

Advertisement