Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maths failue, Engineering options ?

Options
  • 12-06-2007 2:01am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 438 ✭✭

I really want to do mechatronic engineering, DCU is my first choice, but im pretty sure I failed honours maths, is there any way of getting into this course this year or a similar course this year or is a repeat necessary ???

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 348 ✭✭analyse this

No offense, but if you failed honours maths then I would seriously start to consider another profession:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭cocoa

No offense, but if you failed honours maths then I would seriously start to consider another profession:)
    normally I would agree but in actual fact there isn't as much maths in mechatronics as there is in other streams of engineering, it's more sort of designed for "managers" i.e., you dabble lots in differents bits of engineering (mechanical and electronic obviously) so as that you can "manage" those different types of engineers (underlings) so maybe you would be able for it with a bit of work. Sadly however, I am unaware of any way to get in without your honours maths, still, you might surprise yourself in august. good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭*Angel*

I think the best idea right now is not to be so negative, a lot of people come out of an exam (myself included) thinking they did sh*te in it but often did better than they thought.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭Stereophonic

No offense to you but that comment was stupid!!! Why do colleges offer Ordinary Degrees to students...??? Theres plenty of civil engineers out on the Irish roads working on the construction new dual carriage ways (motorways) who did Ordinary Level Maths at Leaving Cert. It obviously took at good deal longer to get the degree.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭izzyflusky

I thought if you failed maths u failed the whole thing and had to repeat the leaving cert :s

• Advertisement

izzyflusky wrote:
    I thought if you failed maths u failed the whole thing and had to repeat the leaving cert :s

Just like you don't have to do the leaving cert, you don't have to repeat the leaving cert. Similarly, failing maths/irish/english/what have you won't cause you to fail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭raido9

No offense, but if you failed honours maths then I would seriously start to consider another profession
    No offense to you but that comment was stupid!!! Why do colleges offer Ordinary Degrees to students...??? Theres plenty of civil engineers out on the Irish roads working on the construction new dual carriage ways (motorways) who did Ordinary Level Maths at Leaving Cert. It obviously took at good deal longer to get the degree.
    I did electronic engineering and I'd be siding towards analyse this. If your struggling with lc honours maths your gonna struggle with maths in college. Its doable but you'd want to be sure thats what you want to do, because it'll be hard work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭mathew

You could repeat and just do maths again.. bit of a waste going through school like that agian tho IMO.
    Other option is to do a level 7 maths degree and go on the engineering from there. Takes a bit longer but at least your gonna be starting college.
    You could do both if you wanted. ie. do the level 7 and repeat maths. Then youll be starting on your path to engineering while also clearing up the fail on your lc..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭toxick

you mgiht be able to do a exam for DCU to show that you are good at the needed requriements of maths.

i droped down to pass maths, cause i was unsure on how i would do in the honours, but if i get points needed for elec eng, i can do a exam in nuig to show i can cope with the maths needed for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 348 ✭✭analyse this

Apologies! My post was completely unconstructive and did not help the OP's situation in any way! My only excuse is that it was pretty early in the morning and I was already pissed off because I was up so early in the first place! Stupid LC!! However, I still maintain that a good grasp of maths in any engineering profession is crucial and that while honours maths bears very little resemblance to college mathematics, it is nevertheless good indicator of how one will deal with courses in college which involve mathematics!:D Thus, if you feel you have failed honours maths I would urge you to consider what you are getting youself into. Every engineering profession, some more so than others, has a strong emphasis on maths, so I think that which particular engineering discipline you are choosing to follow is, to a certain extent, irrelevant.

I think everyone will agree that this year’s paper was not overly difficult in any way, so unless you have some alternative excuse (nerves, poor performance on the day etc...), then I would really encourage you to stop and reflect upon your alternative options. If you feel that this is what you truly want then I say go for it. Nothing is impossible. Its just some thing are more possible than others.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭stringy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Nehpets

Impossible is nothing

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭lemansky

Yea last year after the maths exam and the undeserved reputation it got for being 'difficult' the colleges offered their own maths exams to students.but I don't know if that was to provide for you if you failed or if you just didn't meet the minimum entry requirements.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 438 ✭✭StephenC_IRL

thanks people, just 1 question then, what can i do in college that doesnt require passing maths, DCU prefferable but most dublin colleges will do , I also like photography, multimedia and computers so if theres anything in that please do hell

Advertisement