Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Infected Tree

Options
  • 12-06-2007 7:07am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 300 ✭✭

Hi,
    Is this tree infected, its gone brown around the edges of the leaves, and near the top its got white flaky stuff on it (see pics).

Any ideas what it could be and also how to treat it?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Irish Gardener

The white substance looks like woolly aphid, a sap-sucking insect which will finish feeding on the tree around about the end of June.
    Your tree is small enough to allow you to wipe them off into a bin with a damp cloth.

The browning on the leaf tips is more than likely frost damage (we got one lately) or else drought damage.
    The tree is pretty ensconced in that corner so possibly you may have to supplement the actual amount of water it receives from rainfall.
    Anyway, those damaged leaves will shed in autumn, only to emerge green once again in spring.
    That’s one of the joys of deciduous trees.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 300 ✭✭rockdrummer

Thanks for the reply..

So neither are a big deal ?

Their are three trees in that area - all in a row - about 3 feet apart, all would get same rain and sun and only this was affected....

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Irish Gardener

Thanks for the reply..

So neither are a big deal ?

No, not the end of the world.

Their are three trees in that area - all in a row - about 3 feet apart, all would get same rain and sun and only this was affected....

Who knows what the underlying soil/rock conditions are like beneath the browned beech tree, this could be a cause of water shortage (if that is the problem).
    It looks a fairly young tree which can often suffer from drought, so I suggest the following water regime....
    Pick two days in the week; say a Wednesday and a Saturday.
    If it does not rain on these days, by the evening you should apply at least 10 litres of water slowly to the trees base.
    Continue this through the summer and you should have few drought issues.
    Let me know how you get on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 300 ✭✭rockdrummer

Thanks again,

Your probably right about water shortage, its been pretty dry lately. However one thing I found strange is that as I say there are 3 trees in a row about 3 feet apart - the other 2 trees came out in March this one came out beginning of May ! I cant remember if this happened before. I suppose the mild weather in March / April could have tricked the trees.

Will water tree aplenty !!

Thanks

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,675 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i have those woolly aphids on some beech seedlings, too. they're sticky little buggers.

• Advertisement
Advertisement