Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

**** I just realised something...(Economics exam related)

Options
  • 12-06-2007 9:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭

In our economics exam are we meant to draw our diagrams on graph paper?Or can we just use the normal paper?If we HAVE to draw it on graph paper then that is so annoying.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Delphi91

No mention of marks deducted for not using graph paper on last years marking scheme. Haven't looked at the paper, but I'd imagine if it says "Draw a diagram, on graph paper to....", then you should use it, otherwise no specific need.

BTW, I'm a teacher, but not of economics, so I could be wrong!

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Enemy Of Fate

Delphi91 wrote:
    No mention of marks deducted for not using graph paper on last years marking scheme. Haven't looked at the paper, but I'd imagine if it says "Draw a diagram, on graph paper to....", then you should use it, otherwise no specific need.

BTW, I'm a teacher, but not of economics, so I could be wrong!
    Well they have NEVER mentioned graph paper on previous exams.....so I'm sure i'll be grand.I mean it wouldn't be terrible....but i'd much prefer to have them next to the questions, i'd find it much easier and thats what i'm used to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭carlowboy

Teacher deducted marks from me in the mocks because it wasn't on graph paper.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Marshy

Our teacher has never mentioned using graph paper so I'd say its unnecessary.

Good job.I'd had to lose marks because of a technicality, especially when i'm hoping for a minimu of a B1.God I love economics.It is literally the only thing that can save my ass in the leaving.

• Advertisement

I need tips then! And plenty of them!

OK.Well theres always a question on one of the market structures and one of the factors of production.Now for the market structures Perfect competition is VERY likely, as it hasn't been up in 3 or 4 years, and its only been up twice in the past 12.For the FOPs labour is likely, as it hasn't been up in a while also.Theres ALMOST always a question on elasticity (think its only been 2 years where it hasn't come up, think the last time was 2002) so be sure to cover that.OK.Thats almost guaranteed questions covered.For other question I would cover national income (ie Y=C+G+I+X-M), GNP, GDP all that stuff.Its usally a question, and if it does come up then it can save you a lot of time, if you get a Y=G+G+I+X-M maths question (its usually worth more than a 3rd of the marks, and will take less than 5 minutes).Also another section I would focus on is international trade.Very likely question.

Also (and I can't stress this enough so I'll put it in capital letters) PAST EXAM SHORT QUESTIONS!!!DO ALL OF THEM!!LEARN THEM!!!They ask the same kind of stuff over, and over, and over, and over again.Repetition is king in the economics exam....which makes it easy to get great marks there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭whatshername!!

i think the price discrimination diagram will come up because it hasnt in like 8 years.

We were never told anything about graph paper and our teacher spent the last few months just going over answers from the marking schemes so she would have said something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭ron-burgandy

I'm 99% sure that graph paper is unnecessary... there's no way I'm using it anyway

I'm covering:
    1. The short questions for the last 6/7 years
    2. Perfect competition very well, and imperfect and monopoly to a lesser extent
    3. Labour as a FOP, and doing a smaller amount on the others
    4. National Income - Circular flow, GDP GNP etc. Y=C+G+I+X-M and multiplier
    5. Elasticities (all of them PES YED PED)
    6. Some basic stuff from the start of the book (Supply&Demand, few cost curve shapes)

Anyone have anything to add to that??

price discrimination (hasnt come up in 8 years)
    interest rates - I think its Keyne? The speculative, transactive and precautionary motives (coz of all the interest rate increases which were happening when paper was writtten )

• Advertisement

OK.Well theres always a question on one of the market structures and one of the factors of production.Now for the market structures Perfect competition is VERY likely, as it hasn't been up in 3 or 4 years, and its only been up twice in the past 12.For the FOPs labour is likely, as it hasn't been up in a while also.Theres ALMOST always a question on elasticity (think its only been 2 years where it hasn't come up, think the last time was 2002) so be sure to cover that.OK.Thats almost guaranteed questions covered.For other question I would cover national income (ie Y=C+G+I+X-M), GNP, GDP all that stuff.Its usally a question, and if it does come up then it can save you a lot of time, if you get a Y=G+G+I+X-M maths question (its usually worth more than a 3rd of the marks, and will take less than 5 minutes).Also another section I would focus on is international trade.Very likely question.

Also (and I can't stress this enough so I'll put it in capital letters) PAST EXAM SHORT QUESTIONS!!!DO ALL OF THEM!!LEARN THEM!!!They ask the same kind of stuff over, and over, and over, and over again.Repetition is king in the economics exam....which makes it easy to get great marks there.

Thanks heaps :D I have all the short questions grouped together from the last few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Marshy

Our teacher compiled a booklet with all the shorts from the last 15 years... and charged us all 2 euro for it! :eek:

Handy 60 euro if you ask me.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Agreed, good post Enemy of Fate. Sums up a lot of the essential economics course.

And make sure you know Keynes' and Smith's contributions to economic thought. 5 for each. They can be thrown in along with an otherwise easy question. There are other historical economists but would they really come up? Sin an ceist tábhachtach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Genius16

p.s. know about privitisation....SSIA...And the banking section ;)
    Privitisation = aer lingus a few months ago
    banks aint come up in a while and were on my mocks
    SSIA= again on my mocks

Right, I'm going to know my micro economics pit pat for Section B which should be 3 questions. What is the most definate to come up in macro then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭Agri_trust

Privatisation, paper would have been set around the time of Aer Lingus being sold off.

It hasn't come up as a 75 marker much so will there be something with it?

Think National Income with Multiplier is likely?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

Every year, there's a full question on: 1 market structure, FOPs (usually just 1), Demand/Supply or Elasticity (has been both) and National Income/International Trade (has been both). I'd cover a few others, eg banking, but that should do ya.

I no this sounds really dumb 4 days before my leaving cert but what stuff on the course is macro and what stuff is micro

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

look at your book.....

micro :elasticity,supply,demand,market structures, factors of production.

Macro : Governemnt aims, money, inflation, national income, population, etc

• Advertisement

Thanks. Our book doesnt seperate them it just mixes them all together and our teacher never told us the difference either she jjust assumed we knew

Thanks. Our book doesnt seperate them it just mixes them all together and our teacher never told us the difference either she jjust assumed we knew
    Its pretty simple to break up.In a nutshell micro= consumer/private business, macro=government.That may seem overly simplistic, but its actually pretty accurate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭Outcast

Anyone putting money on banking?

See what I did there:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭An Citeog

You definitely shouldn't use graph paper, unless its a numerical question which requires it to be to scale. The whole point in using graphs is to illustrate the point that you are making (demand curve, supply curve, market dynamics). No examiner wants to have to keep flicking over to graph paper.

An Citeog wrote:
    You definitely shouldn't use graph paper, unless its a numerical question which requires it to be to scale.
    Well (to my knowledge) those type of questions do not exist in economics...so we're all good!Anyways I asked the examiner today, and she said that shes not meant to hand at graph paper for the exam, so theres no way we can be penalised for not using it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭Agri_trust

Going to start learning this hardcore today. Going to get bored I say, got 42% in the mocks with out opening the book, Ive learned all the diagrams and everything since then and am actually going to study, so im looking for a B in it.

Meh.I may start tomorrow...or maybe Monday.We'll see how things go!I already pretty much know everything already....just have to brush up on my diagrams and formulas, and learn off some of those previous exam answers that require you to think, rather than just qrite straight answers.Stuff like ''how would a positive budget surplus negatively effect the economy?''.I mean I could easily answer them in the exam from scratch...but then i'd actually have to think about the answers, which would slow me down.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 58 ✭✭Splicer

heya,

does anyone plan on concentrating on MICRO, not macro?

does anyone have any useful stats broken down to use in the exam? (cause u will have to do at least 1 macro Q)

Splicer wrote:
    heya,

does anyone have any useful stats broken down to use in the exam? (cause u will have to do at least 1 macro Q)
    Check RTE's website.The guy who was on the economics 606 show had a sheet with all that sort of information, and he said you could email him for it, but I don't see why you'd bother when its up on the 606 website!!Everyone should check it out.Its pretty good.

• Advertisement

Splicer wrote:
    heya,

Im doing micro really well and just know the basics of macro coz i hate macro and find micro much easier

Advertisement