Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mix non-collaboration

Options
  • 12-06-2007 9:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭

Anyone interested in starting something similar to IMP?

The idea being that one person makes the multitracks for a song available and then everyone does their own mix within a one week deadline. We then discuss the results and compare notes.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭brettzy

I could post a song but I record in 96kHz, it would take a wet week to upload 40 tracks to an FTP. Any ideas on how to make it all work???? Good old fashion post???

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭frobisher

Sounds great but there's already a June Collab happening on another thread. Maybe for July?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

frobisher wrote:
    Sounds great but there's already a June Collab happening on another thread. Maybe for July?

Yup, prob a good idea. I like the sound of this mix-off though!!
    I could post a song but I record in 96kHz, it would take a wet week to upload 40 tracks to an FTP. Any ideas on how to make it all work???? Good old fashion post???

That sort of resolution won't be necessary, at least not for demoing/drafting mixes. We could use MP3 for the early stages of everything.

Alternatively we could all download something from the same source. Brian Eno and David Byrne made the multitrack files from 2 of the songs on their My Life In The Bush Of Ghosts album available for royalty-free remixing: http://bush-of-ghosts.com/remix/bush_of_ghosts.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭teamdresch

cornbb wrote:
    That sort of resolution won't be necessary, at least not for demoing/drafting mixes. We could use MP3 for the early stages of everything.

PleaseGODno.

The IMPs are usually 44.1/48 at 24 bit. They rarely go above 250mb.
    Anyone who has broadband or goes to college could leave the upload running overnight pretty handily. Even a yousendit or similar would work, since it only needs to be downloadable for a week.

In fact, you could very easily downsample to 48khz.

Ok, I can do that. I have a song I record a few weeks ago.

One issue, I used BFD Delux for drums. I could mix down each mic on the kit as a mono track or just supply a stereo mix. Which do ye prefer??

I have a guy in the studio tomorrow but if I have time I might afterward I might record live drums myself. It should take long!

So BFD or Live drums. If BFD then 12 tracks or 1 stereo???

• Advertisement

oh yeah,

If we really want to do good work then there is no way MP3's will do anyone any favours.

I hate doing it but I'll down sample to 44.1kHz 24 bit. Does that suit everyone.

Also, is there a FTP that can be made available??

I can do some hosting, but the files can't exceed 100mb, so they'd probably have to be broken up.

Sooooooo.. since the June Mix Collaboration has slowed down a little, is anyone still interested in doing this?
    Anyone want to volunteer a track?

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭Niall - Dahlia

I'm recording a guy tomorrow I could volunteer the track for this. It's not a full band, it's male vocal (apparently there'll be alot of layers), acoustic guitar (again I imagine a few layers) and some percussion instruments. Dunno if that's the kind of thing you were looking for, but I've done some stuff with him before I'm confident it should be a decent tune. Recording quality could be a different matter, but hey, I'll do my best! Afraid I can't host though because I exceeded my limit just today actually.

Anyway if there's any interest in that I can upload them somewhere by tomorrow night/Sunday morning.

Btw thanks for the feedback on the songs in the other thread teamdresch, just don't have time to reply right now!

As long as there's enough in there tracks/arrangement wise to make it interesting and fun, I'm sure that'll be cool.
    We could do a guitar/drum/bass song for the next one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭pinksoir

i'm not gonna do this but just giving a suggestion for uploading big stuff -ie the 96khz stuff.

bittorrent. not just for illegal downloading you know!! upload a torrent and make sure that its seeded all the time. i use it for sending big files quite a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭Niall - Dahlia

Well the song I recorded yesterday isn't a very good candidate for this considering it costisted of:

Acoustic guitar
    Bass guitar
    Electric guitar
    Male vocalists x 2
    Female vocalists x 2
    Backing vocals x 8
    Flute
    Pots being hit with wooded forks (forks, not spoons, different ADSR)
    A pizza cutter being hit with a metal fork
    Peanuts (dry roasted) in a lunchbox
    Lentils in a coke can
    Tambourine
    Dogs barking (2 x Yorkshire Terrier)
    Drum machine kick
    Finger solo on the body of an acoustic guitar
    Hand claps x 12

So besides it being a big session that would be hard to upload, it's a bit too weird!

Anyone else want to volunteer?
    It'll save me trying to get permission from some dudes to use their tracks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭Jimbo808

I might have a track or two if this thing is still going?

What is the criteria for the remix, as in what is essentially needed?

J

Just multitracks for a song, pretty much.
    We arrange to get them posted to an ftp or a torrent or whatever, then we fix a deadline (I'm thinking 2 weeks should be more than enough) and everyone gets mixing.

Anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭11811

i'd up for this too,just need a track for remixing! sorry i've no tracks to offer up at the mo....

Advertisement