Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ntl cable and wifi in one handy box

Options
  • 12-06-2007 10:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,265 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    i currently have ntl cable internet.
    and now i want to wifi the house.

i've seen that you can get wifi cable routers, but does anyone know do ntl have a specific requirement on which modems are connected?

i know that its easy to rj45 the cable modem into a regular wifi router, but it would be nice not to have to add another box.

thanks,
    david

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

I don't know if it's any help to you but I just signed up to NTL broadband and the chap came on Monday to install. I was given a seperate modem and wireless router. I mentioned to him that I thought it was supposed to be an all in one unit, but he said no they use two seperate pieces of equipment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

The setup i have is the black ntl box, and a dlink 524. Works straight away, no need to configure ports, as its all done on the fly. Even works with the xbox360 first go. Have not even had to restart it in 2 months now. And only 50€ from argos, its also a 4 port router too. wifi a/b/g.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

I don't know if NTL/UPC support third party cable modems on their network (ie, provide you with the required settings etc). You will need to register the new cable modems mac address with them at least, which may not be a trivial issue when you take their support team into account.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭rogue-entity

Not going to happen sadly. NTL's T&Cs explicitly forbid the connection of non-NTL third party equipment to their network except for a television. Its not a criminal offence if you could find the MAC of your cablemodem, and then spoof that on a cable-wifi all-in-one unit, but if NTL are aware of it (unlikely) they can boot you, and they certainly will not offer you support if you dont use their supplied equipment.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,265 ✭✭✭MiCr0

thats what i'd though - cheers guys

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭LumoColor

You cant do it in a single box as you need the NTL cable modem.

You need one of these:-

http://www-uk.linksys.com/servlet/Satellite?pagename=Linksys/Common/VisitorWrapper&c=L_Product_C2&cid=1141414599977&childpagename=UK/Layout

Connect the Internet connection on the router to the NTL Cable Modem and this provides both wireless and a 4 port router :)
    NTL's T&Cs explicitly forbid the connection of non-NTL third party equipment to their network except for a television.
    Better unplug your PC quick then...

Advertisement