Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paris Hilton threads in AH

Options
  • 12-06-2007 10:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭

There are 4 different Paris Hilton threads open in the first 2 pages of After Hours at the mo.
    Just wondering why the mods have not seen fit to move these to the new Celeb & Showbiz forum? (yes, I am that bored to nitpick, and I've always wanted to post here...).
    Isn't this the whole point of setting up such forums? This one already has it's own Paris thread, but wouldn't it gain more notice if these other threads were moved there too?

I can't imagine a soccer story or Dublin related post lasting long in AH these days, so why were these left? Is Paris more than a celeb in the eyes of AH?

(bring on the kitty pictures!) :D
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Report the posts if they offend your sensibilities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,240 ✭✭✭Endurance Man

The word Paris Hilton should be monitored so that any person typing it gets an immediate perminant ban :D, it would probably rid boards of text speak, stupidty and general crap all in one foul swoop.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭Steve_o

I agree....The Paris Hilton thing is getting really old really fast and its cluttering up the AH forum!

Very Well.....

go_away.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,240 ✭✭✭Endurance Man

Gordon wrote:

The old mod scapegoat, why not just do what you're supposed to do and move them, its not like you didnt see them..

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Gordon wrote:

meh, no real need to report, as no offense caused.
    Just more a wonder why the mods haven't moved these particular threads when the C&S forum is their clear home?
    Mods usually move threads without report post required, don't they?

Me confused...
    confused_green_eyes.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

The old mod scapegoat, why not just do what you're supposed to do and move them, its not like you didnt see them..
    The old user adage: "do your job". Maybe the mods are doing what they are supposed to do and you in particular are the only one that doesn't like what they read?
    whiskeyman wrote:
    Mods usually move threads without report post required, don't they?
    Yeah, mods will move something if they don't think it belongs in their forum. Although, mods don't read every thread on their forum though, it's not 'their job' to do so, it's a community here, we all should look after each other and the forums we frequent. Such is the beauty of this new hippy lifestyle that we should all adhere to..

whiskeyman wrote:
    Just wondering why the mods have not seen fit to move these to the new Celeb & Showbiz forum? (yes, I am that bored to nitpick, and I've always wanted to post here...).
    Isn't this the whole point of setting up such forums? This one already has it's own Paris thread, but wouldn't it gain more notice if these other threads were moved there too?

Just on what Gordan said (if my understanding is correct) that not all mods spend hours looking at every thread each day. In fact, most are busy, and may swoop in to do a quick bit of thread moving/deleting/banning, and then get back to work - or if they were to check early in the day, they would refer to the reported posts first and foremost. They would be alerted to such a thread by the reported posts, and previous it was mentioned by some mods that it's better to report a post then not to (within limits).

So reporting posts appears to be the way to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Well I have reported these threads for moving but nothing seems to have happened. I understand that some mods like to lock threads rather than move them to "teach the original poster a lesson" but really, it is a mods job to do move them. If there aren't enough mods, appoint some more.

I think that with repeat offenders, locking such mis-placed threads is fine but for a first-time offender, the thread should be moved (I realise it's hard to keep track of first-time versus multiple-time offenders).

However, even if these threads are moved to the right forum they are often irreparably damaged by AH-isms :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,395 ✭✭✭Marksie

Myth wrote:
    Just then get back to work -

Unfortunately we have bills to pay! :-)

But the report post function is extremely useful and there have been instances where reports state simply "correct forum?".

Also, it depends on how the thread is phrased I guess. If it were to say P. Hilton, talentless slapper, for example, it may be more suitable for AH rather than a forum like celebrities or even fashion and appearance for whoses posters she may be a goddess or guru.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

well yeah, it pisses me off too.. I've been threatened with a ban from ah twice now for posting off topic threads, got yelled at for not taking the time to find the proper forum and post there.. and now this **** is going on when there are plenty of more suited forums.

mods are dicks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Although i agree that the paris hilton threads are starting to take the piss. Getting upset and telling a mod to "do his/her job" is just plain annoying. Now, i see 4 mods here saying to use the report thread button. I think the users know this already lads :).OP If you feel that strongly about the offending thread, don't read it. Or just pm a Mod of that particular forum. Why bother wasting your time pasting here when, by the second page of daft replies it will be consumed by cut pictures.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Don't like the Paris Hilton threads? Don't read them. Solved.

TBH, it just sounds like the OP wants to Mod AH :)

nipplenuts wrote:
    Don't like the Paris Hilton threads? Don't read them. Solved.

Ah, so by your reasoning, it's okay then to post Music threads, computer threads, literature threads etc in AH because if other people don't like them they can ignore them! Admins, please close all fora except AH as apparently there is no need for them :D

Marksie, if you read the titles of the threads in question that the OP is talking about (as opposed to hypothetical thread titles) you'll see that they should indeed be in the Celebrity forum. That said, it is the responisibility of the original poster of said threads to post in the right forum. The Moderator "Move Thread" function should be a last resort.

There are certainly some posters who feel that it's fine to post in AH "sure the mods will move it to the right place if needs be, if not then I get a bigger audience for my thread" :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

r3nu4l wrote:
    Ah, so by your reasoning, it's okay then to post Music threads, computer threads, literature threads etc in AH because if other people don't like them they can ignore them!

Slight misrepresentation of my view there r3nu4l (if that is your real name), I think that the discussions are not perhaps so easily defined as celebrity. Nor was there any reasoning involved on my part. I was adhering to the "spirit" of the discussion. ;)

nipplenuts wrote:
    Slight misrepresentation of my view there r3nu4l (if that is your real name), I think that the discussions are not perhaps so easily defined as celebrity. Nor was there any reasoning involved on my part. I was adhering to the "spirit" of the discussion. ;)

Well while I abhor Paris Hilton being described as a celebrity, it's unfortunate that in this day and age that is how she is considered :( To my mind that is where the threads belong but I accept that different people have different views.

/of course, I was being flippant regarding your previous post. Sorry, I couldn't resist :o What makes you think r3nu4l isn't my real name *whistles innocently* :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

nipplenuts wrote:
    I think that the discussions are not perhaps so easily defined as celebrity.
    Guess that's really what I wanted to know. Was it that the mods saw them and let them be?

I made the point that any soccer or Dublin related thread is usually flamed within minutes and booted to it's relevant forum.
    However, these 4 threads have all stayed in AH, despite a newly opened Celeb & Showbiz forum to cater for such.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I saw two, moved one there. I imagine the others have seen the other two.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭homah_7ft

Anti wrote:
    Now, i see 4 mods here saying to use the report thread button. I think the users know this already lads :)

I've been using this site a long time now and I say with some shame that I did not know that the report post button should be used in cases like this. I think the upper case, "Only" made me think it was frowned upon to report a post except in the most stringent of circumstances. Should the message be changed?
    Note: This is ONLY to be used to report spam, advertising messages, and problematic (harassment, fighting, or rude) posts.

EDIT: for clarity in relation to the post below. The above message is not in the charter but appears on the report post button screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

homah_7ft wrote:
    Should the message be changed?
    Note: This is ONLY to be used to report spam, advertising messages, and problematic (harassment, fighting, or rude) posts.

Yeah it should be .... the Mods in that forum seem to make up a new rule to suit every criticism , but they never reflect the rules in the charter.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

This is an outrage!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

homah_7ft wrote:
    That message is actually the default one that vbulletin has for reporting posts, and has nothing to do with either the mods or charter. If the mods/charter say you can report posts for moving then it's fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Blowfish wrote:
    That message is actually the default one that vbulletin has for reporting posts, and has nothing to do with either the mods or charter. If the mods/charter say you can report posts for moving then it's fine.

It's not fine really.

Regardless of whether it's the default vbulletin message or not, it's the message that the Admins have seen fit to leave as the definitive instruction to users of the report post function. I don't believe any mod has the authority to countermand a direct Admin instruction. If that message is not what the Admins intended, that is another matter entirely but one that is entirely up to the Admins. If they choose to change the instruction for any reason at any time then we are bound to comply with the new instruction. In the meantime it's not our place to second guess what they might mean when it's there in front of us in plain language.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

Hagar wrote:
    It's not fine really.

Regardless of whether it's the default vbulletin message or not, it's the message that the Admins have seen fit to leave as the definitive instruction to users of the report post function. I don't believe any mod has the authority to countermand a direct Admin instruction. If that message is not what the Admins intended, that is another matter entirely but one that is entirely up to the Admins. If they choose to change the instruction for any reason at any time then we are bound to comply with the new instruction. In the meantime it's not our place to second guess what they might mean when it's there in front of us in plain language.
    There are a large amount of things that aren't covered by that message which it's clear the admins don't want here and would want reported, such as MCD, Links to illegal/copyright material and Pr0n. It's the type of message that slips through the loop when customising vbulletin systems, i've actually seen it happen on other forums too, and the admins encouraging the use of it for other things there too.

In the end though it's the mods (based on how the Admins want boards run) who are the ones who set what is and isn't allowable through the charter. The report post button IMO is essentially to report anything that goes against the forum charter. Thats how I use it anyway, but if an Admin says differently here, then i'll use it differently.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

whiskeyman wrote:

Sorry for the late reply but..

If something is "in the news" and all that we generally allow a thread in AH simply because people who would not normally think of visiting C&S or whatever might have something to say about it (generally to bitch about it). This is generally "exceptional" in that the vast vast majority of topics aren't in the news to such an extent that they'd be "general discussion".

Just apply common sense really: If there is already a forum for it but it's very much in "general discussion" at the moment and is an exception (as in this kind of stuff wouldn't normally make the news etc), then it's probably ok for their to be a thread about it in AH. Or at least that's my opinion.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

That is the default message for reporting threads. Since I've never had to report a thread (why would I?) I've never seen it.

A little commonsense works wonders and in general the Report Thread option is for highlighting a thread for mod attention.

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

If they where in tCN I'd just merge the lot of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Easier solution is to just ignore after hours altogether. If you want a bit more up market related conversation just find the forum of choice and live in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

i still can't find the choice forum :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭scojones

nesf wrote:
    Sorry for the late reply but..

If something is "in the news" and all that we generally allow a thread in AH simply because people who would not normally think of visiting C&S or whatever might have something to say about it (generally to bitch about it). This is generally "exceptional" in that the vast vast majority of topics aren't in the news to such an extent that they'd be "general discussion".

Just apply common sense really: If there is already a forum for it but it's very much in "general discussion" at the moment and is an exception (as in this kind of stuff wouldn't normally make the news etc), then it's probably ok for their to be a thread about it in AH. Or at least that's my opinion.

As an add on to this, all of threads have been AHified so moving them would be pointless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

whiskeyman wrote:
    There are 4 different Paris Hilton threads open in the first 2 pages of After Hours at the mo.

I can't imagine a soccer story or Dublin related post lasting long in AH these days, so why were these left? Is Paris more than a celeb in the eyes of AH?

(bring on the kitty pictures!) :D

well, ive seenthe reports, but im not sure why they werent moved tbh.
    that is if they werent moved. maybe they have been moved by now.

i'll go and see shall i?

Advertisement