Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

cars/vans for disabled passengers

Options
  • 12-06-2007 10:57am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭

Hi, have abro who is disabled and has got a new wheel chair which can't be put into boot cause of size and weight. This is an electric wheel chair and has a special back to help take pressure of a sore on his shoilder.
    Leave us with a problem of transporting him from a to b.
    I know you can claim back the vrt etc on a new van/car but as we are on a limited budget (very limited) we would need a car/van to have at least 7 other seats as well as the space for my bro, as we have 4 small kids and I look after my grandaughter as well and another girl who is 16 so thats 6 plus my self that i would need to be able to transport at times
    Anyone any idea what kind of van i need to go for or any one have one, Do you have to buy the van first then get it converted and then claim back the vrt etc
    Sorry for being a bit long winded

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

You should talk to the Irsih Wheelchair Association, a lot of folk who are buying new vehicles trade their old ones off to other members through the IWA !

Also talk to ParFit in Swords who do the conversions. They always seem to have lots of vehicles on site some for sale !

Good luck !

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Talk to Motability Ireland, they import used Kangoos and Betrlingos with ramp conversions etc. from the uk. They're in Ashbourne 01 835 9173

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Altreab

georgie59 wrote:
    Hi, have abro who is disabled and has got a new wheel chair which can't be put into boot cause of size and weight. This is an electric wheel chair and has a special back to help take pressure of a sore on his shoilder.
    Leave us with a problem of transporting him from a to b.
    I know you can claim back the vrt etc on a new van/car but as we are on a limited budget (very limited) we would need a car/van to have at least 7 other seats as well as the space for my bro, as we have 4 small kids and I look after my grandaughter as well and another girl who is 16 so thats 6 plus my self that i would need to be able to transport at times
    Anyone any idea what kind of van i need to go for or any one have one, Do you have to buy the van first then get it converted and then claim back the vrt etc
    Sorry for being a bit long winded

I am presuming you have received a VRT refund in the past here. If not you will have to register with Coolshannagh before you can get the following exemptions. Get them at 047 - 82800
    If you have decided to buy a particular car call the Disabled drivers section in Coolshannagh in Monaghan and ask them to send you out a declaration form saying you are VRT exempt. You will normally get it within 3-4 working days. Bring this to the garage your buying the van off and you wont have to pay VRT at all. (Great for cash flow) :) Just beware that there is a 1 month limit on the letter they send out, but not a problem if it expires ...just ask for another one :)
    However you will have to pay the VAT for the car and also the conversion. That you will have to reclaim from Coolshannagh. They will send you out a reclaim form. VAT is normally refunded within 6-8 weeks. I presume that the delay is to ensure that the Garage actually pays it :)
    The total you can reclaim in VRT and VAT is €9750 every 2 years.
    Just for the record its not just New cars you can reclaim VAT and VRT back on if your entitled to do so under the disabled drivers Exemption.
    Even handier is if you decide to import a car from the UK especially if buy a second hand one. You dont pay any VAT on the import and with the earlier mentioned VRT exemption letter you dont have to pay any VRT. But YES you do have to stay within the total VRT and VAT limits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭georgie59

Thanks for the help,
    good to know you can import your own and still not pay the vrt

Advertisement