Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shower tiling advice required - sealant?

Options
  • 12-06-2007 11:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭

Hi,

I have two missing tiles near the shower tap/mixer in the shower.
    There was some repair job done there - not sure what it was.
    The wall is not flat and ready for a new tile.

Is there any sealant product I should put in place before putting a new tile on?

Any help appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

You should make sure that there is no water behind the other tiles first. Tap them and you will soon know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Howitzer wrote:
    Hi,

I have two missing tiles near the shower tap/mixer in the shower.
    There was some repair job done there - not sure what it was.
    The wall is not flat and ready for a new tile.

Is there any sealant product I should put in place before putting a new tile on?

Any help appreciated.

Not for just two tiles for a whole shower you can buy "Tanking"

I assume you are just replacing two tiles ?

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭Howitzer

Can you name a brand of 'tanking'?

The damaged area seams to have been semi sealed but just not tiled.
    I want to fill the area to create a surface for the tiles.
    Will check others for water behind. I guess it will sound 'damp' / 'dull' to tap with a screwdriver.

This do the job?
    http://www.woodiesdiy.com/productdetail.aspx?pid=3230&loc=P&catid=101.4.1.2

cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Howitzer wrote:
    Can you name a brand of 'tanking'?

The damaged area seams to have been semi sealed but just not tiled.
    I want to fill the area to create a surface for the tiles.
    Will check others for water behind. I guess it will sound 'damp' / 'dull' to tap with a screwdriver.

This do the job?
    http://www.woodiesdiy.com/productdetail.aspx?pid=3230&loc=P&catid=101.4.1.2

cheers

yes that would do the job to flatten the wall , depending on the amount of hole you could just use extra adhesive.

To be honest just for two tiles ensure (after leveling) the back of the tiles is dry, if the whole shower is not tanked there is no piont going near a tanking system as it is designed for a whole shower.

Once the back is dry just get a good adhesive. Firmly seal the tiles in wait the alloted time for the adhesive and use a really good water proof grout leave it 24 hours(see pack) and your good. For two tiles i cant see the point in going overboard on really good adhesive or grout just ensure its waterproof.

But if you want to get the best adhesive Bal white star is the way to go. Not availible in small tubs :o im afraid and pricey

Advertisement