Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Go Karting

Options
  • 12-06-2007 11:39am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭

Was wonderin where is the best place in or around Dublin to go Go Kartin. Me and 12 or more mates want to go tnite. I know there is one in Santry and Kylemore Ballyfermot and I heard the one in Ashbourne has crap cars. Any ideas lads. Much appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭Noelie

I've been to Kylemore a few times and I don't like it, It's completely inddor so that could be one reason, but I find the track too tight and twisting, also there is a little uphill stretch which is a pain in the hole as the corner before it is way too tight. I've heard the Santry trac is meant to be pretty good but have never been.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭irishpartyboy

I've done Karting in both Santry and Kylemore. Kylemore actually have 2 tracks now, pretty similar. I was there recently.., they're cars are better than before and it's well run.

I karted in Santry last year at some stage, it's outdoor so obviously track area is bigger. The Kart's weren't great, lots of them were different speeds but it's not bad either.

Both are worth a go I would say, outdoor depends on the weather. More overtaking I would say in Santry and good when slippery too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭Kamaldihnio

Any more opinions??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭PaddyFagan

around Dublin

Might be streching this a bit, but Mondello Park do karting (when there aren't races on) - I did it last year with a big group of Skoda nuts - it was good fun, see http://www.mondello.ie/m.php?page=karting

Paddy

• Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Haven't been to santry in years, but went to Kylemore a few years back....

As there's 12 of you, you could probably do a grand-prix type thing in Kylemore ... its good crack, they have a mini championship, all the lap times are recorded on computer.... and the computer generates the fixtures... its usually arranged such that people get to race in atleast a few races before anyone is knocked out...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

but I find the track too tight and twistin

LOL, thats what kart tracks are ment to be like!

I vote for pudden hil. Bout 20mins from Dublin. I think you'd fall asleep in Mondellio with the karts they run.

Old thread: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=119692

If its raining, and they are running it: Kart City would be fun otherwise its pretty boring. The asphalt circuit is very simple so generally whoever has the quckest kart will go quickest.

Tighter circuits like kylemore and pudden hill will show the differences in drivers a bit more, especially if they are relative newcomers.

If you wanted to make a weekend of it you could go for watergrasshill in cork, or kiltorcan in Kilkenny. Bit of a drive but they are much better than anything near "the pale"

Random watergrasshill crashes: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDiYGYzIOlw

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭cabla

Santry is now quite good...I think there new karts and there after resurfacing the track...was there 2 weeks ago...great craic

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

PaddyFagan wrote:
    Might be streching this a bit, but Mondello Park do karting (when there aren't races on) - I did it last year with a big group of Skoda nuts - it was good fun, see http://www.mondello.ie/m.php?page=karting

Paddy
    The BMW Club went karting in Mondello a few months back. It was absolutely pissing rain which made the event even better. Me? I did fairly crap but at least I wrecked their chicane when I braked too late to avoid being overtaken! :D
    Their karts are twin engined unlike most karting centres and they go at some speed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Wolfie-irl

pudden hill is the karting place just outside ashbourne and they are after really improving their equipment recently the karts are pretty quick and its a good little course

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭quickstitch.ie

Santry. Ask if you can book the big track if you have 12 people that should be grand, they only use a smaller track for the normal arrive and drive sessions, the big track you can race full throttle for most of the track if you take the right lines, have raced both tracks and the full one is way better imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭thomaskearns

santry's track is much better than kylemore for overtaking but kylemore takes more skill as it is a tighter circuit. if you only have 12 people you wont be able to do a full grad prix as you need about 20. but the endurance race is real good. teams of two for one or two hours with pit stops and everything. oh and kylemore just got new karts which are real nice and perfectly even... also for noelie, your ment to take the first corner wide from the left with full trottle and you fly up the hill no problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭hebejebees

Might be worth a trip to Edgeworthstown, the track is brilliant, kept in great shape and the karts are probably the best rental karts you will get. Depending on what part of dublin you are in, the most it will take you is an hour and a half with motorway most of the way. Easily beats them all apart from maybe tynagh in Galway
    Just my two cents, i certainly wouldn't bother with santry and kylemore would be a bit of a waste of a good day out

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

santry's track is much better than kylemore for overtaking but kylemore takes more skill as it is a tighter circuit. if you only have 12 people you wont be able to do a full grad prix as you need about 20. but the endurance race is real good. teams of two for one or two hours with pit stops and everything. oh and kylemore just got new karts which are real nice and perfectly even... also for noelie, your ment to take the first corner wide from the left with full trottle and you fly up the hill no problem.

A group of us went 2 weeks ago, and we got the old 160cc rubbish karts as opposed to the shiny new 200cc jobs. :(

Advertisement