Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Inf Only Vs With Vehicles (BF2)

Options
  • 12-06-2007 12:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭

I'm hooked on Karkand inf only over the past couple of months. I mean, it's the only map I play (ideally with 50 players)! Before that, I used to nearly play Dalian Plant (with vehicles) non stop.
    It's got to the stage, I can't imagine the streets of Karkand having tanks, APCs and jeeps whizzing around.
    Ok, the only prob and annoyance for many are all those grenades going off, but that's why it's best to 'spread' the battle over the whole map and avoid the 'nade showers' that can happen if it's 32 Vs 32 for just one flag.
    So, are you a fan of Inf only?
    Do you play it often, or need tanks and jets etc... for your BF2 experience?

Do you like Inf only mode? 35 votes

Inf only FTW!!!
    0% 0 votes
    Gah! No, can't stand it! Too many 'nades! Me loves vehicles!
    42% 15 votes
    Play it now and again to spice things up
    40% 14 votes
    Never tried.. I'm an inf only virgin
    17% 6 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

The nades killed Karkand inf only for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Creature

Vehicles all the way. Infantry only Karkand is just a pointless nade fest.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

i enjoy inf only, except for the constant nades flying everywhere...which tends to happen a lot:rolleyes: it is a welcome change every once in a while from vehicles

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Inf Only is just nades + loads of medics diving around reviving you in the middle of a nade spam

Lot of the players are point whores who just want High SPM

Wake Island is brilliant, fushe pass 32 man, and Dragon Valley 32man.

Karkand and Mashtuur 32 w/vehicles are by far the best city maps available in BF2.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Inf only ftw.The nade throwers shouldn't really matter as long as your team are good medics so in the end there score might be great but the lost.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

Masthuur Inf only if just unbeatable imo ! doesn't matter what size it's a class map. The vehicles in bf2 just seem so pointless at this point, it's odd to see them on the inf maps.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭Evd-Burner

INF ONLY FTW!!! I love the nade spaming, makes ya very weary going around every corner which it wud be like on a real battlefield...

Also tis a great laf when u throw a nade and get like 4 kills for it :P

No offense lads...but the above 3 posts are completely noobish and stupid :eek:

"As long as you have a good team of medics"
    the game isnt E.R., it seems that the rest of the classes in BF2 are made redundant on Inf Maps which is a shame. Maybe an odd sniper or Support here and there. But its meant for variety:eek:

"Vehicles in BF2 seem pointless at this point"
    Battlefield is renowned for its vehicle warfare, and anyone who isnt a City whore knows that . Lot of ppl play inf only as theyre useless in tanks,chopper or planes.
    These MAKE the game. Yous will all LOVE Call of Duty 4 im sure:rolleyes: :o

."I love the nade spaming, makes ya very weary going around every corner which it wud be like on a real battlefield"
    Speaks for itself, Throw nades at a spawn point or at common places and hope for kills. Yes...very skillful :confused:

I know everyone is entitled to their opinions (even though any that differ from mine are wrong:p ) but i can't understand how ppl are playin the same map over and over and over again on Inf Only.
    Maps like Dalian Plant, Wake, Fushe Pass, Dragon Valley, Zatar,Mashtuur and Sharqui are all being missed out on :( , it's a shame

I think BF2 should rid itself of Global Points at this stage, it'll probably make loads of ppl stop playin karkand and experience the game as their SPM wont matter anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Instant Karma

I have to agree Pyro & Shano are 2 of the biggest noobs who play bf2 ;) (only joking fellas:D)

anyway I think if you played against those 2 you wouldnt call them noobs, they just have an opinion on IO.

Nade spam can be annoying yes, but it can also be easily avoided by not running directly to the front line at teh start of a round, there is also a 'nade trick' which could save your ass but i'm not going to tell you what that is :).

IO is a really intense game mode, and I really don't now what all the fuss is about, IO has been around since back in the day with bf1942 so its nothing new to the bf series, its not noobish, its not stupid, other players like to play with vehicles and thats fair enough.

Re. the medic thing, thats a balance issue, EA/DICE made the medic kit really powerful. Other kits are more fun (Anti-Tank anyone?) but there yee have it, anyway is there really anyone left who cares about points? I don't even care if i win a round most times, I just go for frags, much more satisfying :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭0ubliette

Evd-Burner wrote:
    which it wud be like on a real battlefield...

well it made me laugh, at any rate.

bunnyhop.jpg

just like on a real battlefield

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Instant Karma

LOL class pic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭TheHairyFairy

I'd say a bunch of us Inf only aficionados would run you close with your vehicles, however I'm betting that wouldn't happen vice versa, we could always try it?

What say we play Karkand with vehicles, 2 rounds one as US and one as Mec, with the inf guys on one side, and then the vehicle nuts on the other.

Then we play it again as inf only, same teams same map? We could see what skillset does best with overall tickets counted!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

SeantheMan wrote:
    I think BF2 should rid itself of Global Points at this stage, it'll probably make loads of ppl stop playin karkand and experience the game as their SPM wont matter anymore.

Just to point out, I've played a lot of BF2 and am pretty high ranked. Not that really means anything, but I started off playing on servers with all maps and vehicles on. I got to find my favourite maps, and vehciles this way.
    I'd consider myself an expert tanksman, and excellent chopper pilot and gunner, but just don't like planes.
    Only over the past few months have I switched to inf only as I love the squad / team aspect it can bring. I actually don't care for points at all now as I've got all the unlocks I need, and hardly ever apply for commander.
    As another poster said, it's much more rewarding going for flags and trying to win the round. As I love playing squad leader, I rarely go directly for flags or kills (and thereby end up with little points compared to my squadmembers), as I'm trying to stay alive and keep my squad moving.
    The over-kill with nades can be annoying, but thats why I find the 50 man map of Karkand better than the 64.
    I've gone back to playing Dalian & Dragon with vehicles recently, and it's nearly like playing a different game.

whiskeyman wrote:
    I've gone back to playing Dalian & Dragon with vehicles recently, and it's nearly like playing a different game.

Maybe its like playin Battlefield 2 :eek: :p:D ...whereas yous have been playin a kind of Large Scale Call of Duty Mod :p .....joke btw

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

SeantheMan wrote:
    Maybe its like playin Battlefield 2 :eek: :p:D ...whereas yous have been playin a kind of Large Scale Call of Duty Mod :p .....joke btw
    :p
    Never actually played COD.
    Was 'raised' playing all the Rainbow Six series on PC, but moved to BF2 when it started to dwindle.
    Anyhoo, I think I'm gonna ween myself back into the vehicles soon. Nade spamming is fun and all, but tis class sitting in a tank beside a spawn point and blowing the enemy to pieces.... eh, I mean skilfully driving and aiming and stuff... yeah, that's it... :D

SeantheMan wrote:
    No offense lads...but the above 3 posts are completely noobish and stupid :eek:

1. the game isnt E.R., it seems that the rest of the classes in BF2 are made redundant on Inf Maps which is a shame. Maybe an odd sniper or Support here and there. But its meant for variety:eek:

2. Battlefield is renowned for its vehicle warfare, and anyone who isnt a City whore knows that . Lot of ppl play inf only as theyre useless in tanks,chopper or planes.
    These MAKE the game. Yous will all LOVE Call of Duty 4 im sure:rolleyes:

Well

1. I know the game isn't E.R but medics win you a game, and I can bet theres more teamplay in a Inf only server then a vehicle server.

2.I know how to be in a tank and a chopper. I'm a pretty good pilot at that to but I just prefer Inf only because of the High level skill on some servers.

I dont understand how tanks,choppers,planes make a game when clearly they dont because I reckon more people play Inf only.
    When i see the filters in game I dont see a ''No vehicle'' option.What is that telling you there m8?(But then again its EA so...:p )

Shano

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Tanks.

kdjac

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I like using the fast American buggies to run people over with. Esp the rocket people. If I come around a corner, and there's an enemy tank in the way, their loss: I've usually got C4 strapped to the front for the buggy:D

If playing with mates, I'll taxi them to a flag, and keep going, with the aim of blowing up their commanders' toys or trailer, or just playing chicken with an on coming car.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

SeantheMan wrote:
    Lot of ppl play inf only as theyre useless in tanks,chopper or planes.

I'm pretty sure I could hold my own in a tank, sure it's easy to rack up the kills in a tank, but can be tricky enough to get the same amount of kills as Inf, which I can easily do anyway.

Were is the Skillz in killing people in a tank /chopper why not level the playing field boys :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 327 ✭✭Jackabo

I dont mind either of the 2 gameplay choices,i like a bit playing this & a bit playing that tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

The main problem i used have with non-inf only maps was the same 4-5 muppets queueinng for planes\helis\tanks etc.

Pyr0 wrote:
    I'm pretty sure I could hold my own in a tank, sure it's easy to rack up the kills in a tank, but can be tricky enough to get the same amount of kills as Inf, which I can easily do anyway.

The comment wasnt meant to imply that EVERYONE who plays inf only is useless in vehicles

It was that a lot would'nt have joysticks or the patience to do choppers or planes etc...and get sick of being mullered by a tank

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭sgtdiesalot

personal usually only play sf or vehicles unless none of my clan are on our servers then i go to inf. won't denie i like my tanks and planes but i still think it takes more skill to play inf on a vehicle server. also think most people that play inf only on the same maps are just in it for the points its alot easier to rack up 200 to 300 points on a inf only server in a half hour to hour than it is to get the same amount of points on a good vechicle server.

SeantheMan wrote:
    The comment wasnt meant to imply that EVERYONE who plays inf only is useless in vehicles

It was that a lot would'nt have joysticks.

Who needs Joysticks tbh?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

INF only for me, I play a lot of SF on inf only servers. Its very anoying when a tank comes round a cornor and all ya have is an AK101. Oh yes you could go anti tank and use up all yer amo and get 1 kill out of it. I find the anti tank Kit very unrewarding in both bf2 and 2142.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

Ideally both, TBH.

Ideally, inf-only for city maps, and with vehicle for the others.

Vehicles (esp. tanks/APCs) are close to pointless on city maps, given short life expectancy because it's pretty hard to spot the C4-ing SpecOps hidden in every other nook and cranny.

But the 'country maps' are just too riddled with nice and wide clear fields of fire (sniper heaven) not to have vehicles - which is why they're never cycled on inf-only servers.

Have yet to find a server that does both in alternance (inf-only urban map, then country map with vehicles, then inf-only urban map again, etc, etc.), which would be class.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Auvers

ambro25 wrote:
    Vehicles (esp. tanks/APCs) are close to pointless on city maps, given short life expectancy because it's pretty hard to spot the C4-ing SpecOps hidden in every other nook and cranny.

when I get a tank in karky, jahal I can usually go the whole round without getting killed, just keep moving and always wait for infantry support if your going to take a flag or advancing up the map.

If you do keep moving you always see the spec ops guys chasing you with C4 in there hands then there just an easy kill.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

You gotta fill me in on which servers you play, seems they're filled with n00b fooder :D

Joking aside - I'm well familiar with your tactics, thx, but they count for precisely sweet f/a on Karky's narrow streets when you've got 5 or 6 specops on ya @ss (or worse, a mix of specops and SRAWs) and your whole inf support is busy respawning :eek:

Oh - never reverse on a specops you see running after you: in my experience, they just drop the charge and pull the trigger the instant before you drive them over ;) "Outrun" them whilst pivoting turret (if needed) and shoot'em.

Yeah, elementary I know, and all that :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Auvers

ambro25 wrote:
    You gotta fill me in on which servers you play, seems they're filled with n00b fooder :D

Couldnt be doing that now ;)
    ambro25 wrote:
    Oh - never reverse on a specops you see running after you: in my experience, they just drop the charge and pull the trigger the instant before you drive them over ;) "Outrun" them whilst pivoting turret (if needed) and shoot'em.

No I didnt mean run them over them, just swivel turret like you said, and riddle them with MG fire :cool: ahhh so very satisfying

Advertisement