Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

muppet should i report him?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gyppo

prospect wrote:
    Look,

You can make up obscure situations till the cows come home,
    but,

there is NEVER and excuse to drive in the hard shoulder on the opposite side of the road, (where there can be oncoming traffic).

Worst case scenario, if you must move into it, you brake and stop your car, and rejoin the traffic when it is safe to do so.

I am simply stunned that anyone would see that driving this way is even remotely acceptable.

Totally agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

prospect wrote:

Worst case scenario, if you must move into it, you brake and stop your car, and rejoin the traffic when it is safe to do so.

Christ on a stick. Once more for the cheap seats. I am NOT advocating driving on the oposite hard shoulder.

I have said, a couple of times now I would use it as an escape route. that does not mean i would use it as an additional lane to continue on my journey.

if I had to do it, once there I would access whether my best optin would be to come to a complete halt, and move on after changing my underwear and claming down, assuming of course it was safe to do so or move straight back into my lane rather than coming to a stop, again, only if it was safe to do so.

Does that clarify things for you? Are you now saying it is acceptable to use it as an escape route rather than you initial blanket ban?

MrP

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

Well, I got pushed on to the hard shoulder on the opposit side of the road, while jamming on the breaks, it happens, nothing I could do about it, I was along side another car while overtaking and he just swerved right.

Edit... just read your post properly prospect, I ended up stopped and rejoined.

lightening wrote:
    Well, I got pushed on to the hard shoulder on the opposit side of the road, while jamming on the breaks, it happens, nothing I could do about it, I was along side another car while overtaking and he just swerved right.
    Why did you not just brake and pull back into you own lane? You should be jailed for driving on the oposite hard shoulder, that is grossly incompetant don't you know? :rolleyes:

MrP

• Registered Users Posts: 45,740 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

prospect wrote:
    Look,

You can make up obscure situations till the cows come home,
    but,

there is NEVER and excuse to drive in the hard shoulder on the opposite side of the road, (where there can be oncoming traffic).

I am simply stunned that anyone would see that driving this way is even remotely acceptable.
    so....

There is NEVER an excuse to being in the opposite hard sholder, but then you give an action to take if you must be in it....

• Advertisement

MrPudding wrote:
    Why did you not just brake and pull back into you own lane? You should be jailed for driving on the oposite hard shoulder, that is grossly incompetant don't you know? :rolleyes:

MrP

There was a huge truck behind me. I felt safer to just pull in where I was force to be instead of jamming on, trying to squeez back in front of a moving artic.

lightening wrote:
    There was a huge truck behind me. I felt safer to just pull in where I was force to be instead of jamming on, trying to squeez back in front of a moving artic.
    MrP was being a bit sarcastic, in light of his recent posts on the subject.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭homah_7ft

Strictly he didn't say you should never be in, rather that you should never be driving in it. I would imagine the van driver carried on his merry way at 85mph in the hard shoulder.

EDIT: Busy thread! I was replying to the previous post :)

Tauren wrote:
    so....

There is NEVER an excuse to being in the opposite hard sholder, but then you give an action to take if you must be in it....

If you re-read the post, he said drive.

homah_7ft wrote:
    Strictly he didn't say you should never be in, rather that you should never be driving in it. I would imagine the van driver carried on his merry way at 85mph in the hard shoulder.

Oh, that is ok then. If you could just explain how you can enter it at 100kph and then come to a complete stop without driving in it, that would be great.

MrP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭stipey

Surely if the OP had begun to pull out when the van was attempting to overtake the guy in the van would have leaned fairly heavily on the horn. Presumably the OP would then have heard this and realised that maybe he had made a bit of a boo-boo. If he realised he made a boo-boo he wouldn't come on here to tell us about it - because all the driving experts on the Motors forum would ridicule him/her.

Finally, if overtaking a vehicle which itself begins to move out to perform its own overtaking manouveur it may not be possible (as has already been mentioned) to brake safe in the knowledge that you won't collide with the offending vehicle. Equally it may not be possible to pull back into the lane you have just left. IMO however, if as a last resort you need to take evasive action and move into the hard shoulder on the far side of the road you should NOT attempt to continue to overtake. Double overtaking is idiotic in the extreme - what ever the reason for being in the opposite hard shoulder.

homah_7ft wrote:
    if the car is not parked, you are driving.

gyppo wrote:
    If you re-read the post, he said drive.
    as MrP asks, and i say...how the hell do you get in to the opposite hard shoulder without driving in it at any point. The poster says you should be braking. If you are braking, it is pointless unless you are not parked. If you are not parked, you are driving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭vandermeyde

fair enough that you might need to use the hard-shoulder for an emergency manoeuvre if some one pulls out in front of you...I think the natural reaction in that case would be to brake or at least lift off the accelerator while you calm down from the fright and assess your options...

the fact that this dude in the van continued with his overtaking would suggest to me that he knew exactly what he was doing, highly dangerous and absolutely idiotic.

Tauren wrote:
    if the car is not parked, you are driving.
    Yes but you may notice by the use of the word merry I was insinuating that the van driver was not executing an emergency escape but driving at high speed in the hard shoulder and continuing on that way up the road. Hey I don't know that this is actually the case but it's as likely as this scenario where the angelic van driver is forced to move into the hard shoulder for an teensy bit and carefully tiptoe in to rejoin the traffic.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

I would guess that the van would have a slower acceleration, if that was the case then the van driver would have had to start his manouver either at the same time or after the op's move out. In either case the van driver should have aborted and waited til they could see the road clearly again.

Also - we all know that a van driver would be beeping / flashing if they felt they had been cut up. As they didn't they probably knew they were in the wrong.

A point to note about reporting this to the guards, you'd be asked to come down to the station to make an official report so that it can be taken to conclusion if required

Tauren wrote:
    as MrP asks, and i say...how the hell do you get in to the opposite hard shoulder without driving in it at any point. The poster says you should be braking. If you are braking, it is pointless unless you are not parked. If you are not parked, you are driving.

I think a moot point needs to be addressed here - it was my interpretation of Prospects post that if you did find yourself in the hard shoulder as a result of taking emergency evasive action, it would be totally reckless to proceed with the original overtaking manouvre

Prospects (not Peasants :o ) words "if you must move into it, you brake and stop your car"
    My words "dont proceed to overtake while you are there."

MrPudding wrote:
    Oh, that is ok then. If you could just explain how you can enter it at 100kph and then come to a complete stop without driving in it, that would be great.

MrP
    By driving I mean carrying on driving instead of coming to a halt in this "emergency" situation.

gyppo wrote:
    Peasants words "if you must move into it, you brake and stop your car"
    My words "dont proceed to overtake while you are there."

Agreed, happened to me, did that, don't deserve to go to jail.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

gyppo wrote:
    Peasants words "if you must move into it, you brake and stop your car"

nope ...not my words :D

I would do the same, though

• Advertisement

homah_7ft wrote:
    By driving I mean carrying on driving instead of coming to a halt in this "emergency" situation.
    Can I just point out that my posts are not meant, in any way, to excuse the behaviour of the van driver.

I am simply responding to the assertion that there is never an excuse for using the oposite hard shoulder.

For me driving is when the car is moving. Even if you are out of your seat standing on the brakes trying to stop, you are still driving the car.

MrP

MrPudding wrote:
    Can I just point out that my posts are not meant, in any way, to excuse the behaviour of the van driver.

I am simply responding to the assertion that there is never an excuse for using the oposite hard shoulder.

For me driving is when the car is moving. Even if you are out of your seat standing on the brakes trying to stop, you are still driving the car.

MrP
    Fair point and well made. I was just trying to point out that there may be a distinction between using the hard shoulder as an escape and simply as a means of making ones way along the road. It seems from this discussion that there is no point reporting this guy since he can always claim he was simply avoiding a collision.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

Tauren wrote:
    so....

Read my post before posting a smart ass comment.

I said there is never and excuse to DRIVE in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭OldmanMondeo

I think the natural human reaction is to avoid the other car, by both braking and swerving. You would tend to look for the nearest safe place to go for, usually what ytou can see in front of you, i.e. the hard shoulder to your right. Only if this is a non runner you might then think about behind you.

As for the OP, I would report the van driver, as said what he done was dangerous and stupid and deserves to be reported.

MrPudding wrote:
    Christ on a stick. Once more for the cheap seats. I am NOT advocating driving on the oposite hard shoulder.

Excuse me.

In post #17, you quoted me as saying "there is no excuse to overtake using the hardshoulder..."

Your reply:
    "Yes there is"

This is advocating driving in the opposite hard shoulder.

peasant wrote:
    nope ...not my words :D

I would do the same, though

Oh S**t, just saw my mistake, sorry for misquoting you Peasant:o

prospect wrote:
    Read my post before posting a smart ass comment.

I said there is never and excuse to DRIVE in it.
    so, how do you propose to magically appear in the hard shoulder at a complete stop and parked?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,009 ✭✭✭Wossack

prospect wrote:
    Excuse me.

In post #17, you quoted me as saying "there is no excuse to overtake using the hardshoulder..."

Your reply:
    "Yes there is"

This is advocating driving in the opposite hard shoulder.

...and then people went on to clarify the meaning of the word 'driving'

which both you and MrPudding seemingly have different views on

Mother of god!

Nobody mentioned stopping in the hard shoulder until i did. An as I pointed out 4 or 5 posts ago, MrP directly avdocated overtaking using the opposite hard shoulder.

This is a real backing out exercise Tauren.

You are essentially saying that these two sentences are the same.

1. "It is acceptable to drive in the opposite hard shoulder"
    2. "It is acceptable to stop in the opposite hard shoulder"

:rolleyes:

Also, I said that stopping it only if it is an absolute must, and I cannot imagine it EVER occurring.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,342 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

We're all agreed the van driver was a w@nker for tailgating the OP

@OP - Whenever I have someone tailgating me, I'll try whatever I can to let them overtake me. They're a threat to me. In your case perhaps slowing down and / or moving to the hard shoulder might have been an option
    MrPudding wrote:
    Dismissing the opposite hard should as a possible escape route is, I'm afraid, an idiotic attitude

I'll go one step further. Whenever I overtake I feel more comfortable on roads where there is a clear and open hard shoulder on the opposite side. I actually consider it up front as an active escape plan
    prospect wrote:
    Why is there always someone waiting to jump down the neck of a poster?

You are a mod, you should know better

Eh? First, peasant did not start a fight, he is just exploring another possibility the OP did not consider. He did that in as friendly a way as can be done. He suggested not to report it unless OP is 100% sure of what happened. I couldn't agree more with that suggestion. And guess what, the OP has even indirectly admitted that peasants suggestion might be what actually happened

Second, peasant is not a moderator of this forum and third, if he were, moderators on boards.ie are usually active participants on the forums they moderate. They have views and opinions like anybody else

Advertisement