Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

muppet should i report him?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,740 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

prospect wrote:
    Mother of god!

Nobody mentioned stopping in the hard shoulder until i did. An as I pointed out 4 or 5 posts ago, MrP directly avdocated overtaking using the opposite hard shoulder.

This is a real backing out exercise Tauren.

You are essentially saying that these two sentences are the same.

1. "It is acceptable to drive in the opposite hard shoulder"
    2. "It is acceptable to stop in the opposite hard shoulder"

:rolleyes:

Also, I said that stopping it only if it is an absolute must, and I cannot imagine it EVER occurring.
    Coming along the Naas Road, I was overtaking a large truck, i was in the middle lane. As i was 2/3 the way up, he pulled out, forcing me to move to the right hand lane. Perfectly legal for me to be there of course. However, my point is that this could just as easily have happened on a normal road - the only option i had was to move right, braking or accelerating would not have got me out of the trucks way in time. In this case, i would have been using the hard shoulder, the only place i could move to.

And its not an exercise in backing out by me - you stricktly said there is no excuse for driving in the hard shoulder, unless you are stopped and parked,you aer driving.

I'm not advocating using the opposite hard shoulder to complete your overtake - you should slow to a stop; but that IS still driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

ahhh ...thanks, unkle :)

(where's the kissy - smiley?)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

lol.. sometimes you really have to watch what you say here!

I deserve to be in jail!

• Registered Users Posts: 65,342 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

@peasant - looking for one of these, are ya? 001_icon16.giffluffle.gif :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,450 ✭✭✭blastman

The sooner we get a Pedantry forum, the better...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

When I arrive in work in the morning I park and stop in my spot. I do not drive or overtake in it.

Tauren, there is no arguing that MrP or yourself were not referring to stopping in the hard shoulder, but rather completing your overtaking manouvre.

Using pedantics about the definition of driving will not dig you out of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

prospect wrote:
    When I arrive in work in the morning I park and stop in my spot.

I'm not being "pedantic" but you don't drive in to it? You push it in?

I say this in jest and in humour of course.

EDIT: can't believe I am acting like this! Must be reading to many boards motor peeps...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gyppo

"Nothing is as peevish and pedantic as men's judgments of one another." - Desiderius Erasmus

• Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭Funxy

This has all got a bit petty ;) Who knows what the exact circumstances were. Advanced Driving teaches you to look and plan ahead for escape routes. So simply put if Op pulled out and van was already overtaking he may have had to use the opposite hard shoulder which is obviously better then hitting Op's car. If van driver was just in a rush and overtaking in the hard shoulder on purpose then this is stupid. Simple as.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

prospect wrote:
    You are a mod, you should know better, really.

Why?

Do mods go to a special 'how to make a post on the internet' school that I don't know about?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,893 ✭✭✭patrickc

in hindsight the van driver had been driving erratically prior to this, i could see him over taking behind me once or twice on continuous white lines etc, i definitely had pulled out before he had, but I probably should have waited for him to overtake, since I could have guessed he was going to by his prior driving, all the way ahead he overtook on double white lines and all, wonder would his boss be happy the way he's driving his 07 van.. (a fiat scudo at that) I won't name the company but it's a well known one.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Now ....

Why didn't you say that (all of that !) in the first place ??

The man clearly is a menace on the road and DESERVES to be reported.

Plus you would have saved us four pages of nit-picking :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,893 ✭✭✭patrickc

peasant wrote:
    Now ....

Why didn't you say that (all of that !) in the first place ??

The man clearly is a menace on the road and DESERVES to be reported.

Plus you would have saved us four pages of nit-picking :D

haha ye enjoyed nit picking.
    ah I didnt think it mattered, I was just coming home from work and was thinking about it and said I'd add it to my post then, thought it might clarify some points that had been made also.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

was at an accident recemtly where this happened and a car in similar postition to the van, was rammed into a wall and the driver had neck injuries

there was a hedge cutter moving slowly on the inside, thw 2 cars were behind it, they both tryed to overtake at same time,car A was on inside and pulled out but rammed car B into the wall, car B shouldnt have moved out.... garda said that it was both peoples fault, the first car for not checking before overtaking and the second for overttakin when there was another car clearly trying to

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,603 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

MrPudding wrote:
    I am not having a go at you but checking your mirrors is not enough. When carrying out a manouver like this you should also do a blindspot check.

imo i totally agree. however i was told (now dont shoot the messenger) by a representative of the driving testers that in a car test, you could fail for checking your blindspot in this situation (when the car is in traffic moving) reason being that while you are checking your blindspot you are not looking in front or your head is pointing in front anyway!

Ironically a biker will fail his bike test for not checking his blindspot on every maneuverer (and rightly so!)

Crazy!

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Amigaman

OVERTAKING
    Do not overtake unless you can do so without risk to yourself or to others. Make sure that the road ahead is clear for a sufficient distance to enable you to overtake. Be particularly careful of hills or dips in the road, bends, bridges, road narrowing or pedestrian crossings. Note also the rules regarding roadway markings (continuous and broken, single and double white lines) referred to in Section 5. You must also check your mirror to ensure that another vehicle is not approaching from behind intending also to overtake.
    Where zig-zag markings are provided on the approaches to Pelican or Zebra Crossings or Pedestrian Signals, you must not overtake within the areas marked by these lines.
    Before overtaking, check that the way is clear. Check in your mirror to ensure that another vehicle is not overtaking from behind, give your signal in good time, move out when it is safe to do so, accelerate and overtake with the minimum of delay. When you are well past, signal and gradually move in again, making sure not to cut across the vehicle you have passed.
    Extra care should be taken when overtaking a vehicle displaying a “LONG VEHICLE” sign. This means that the vehicle is at least 13 metres long and you will require significant road length to pass it.
    Normally you must overtake on the right but overtaking on the left is permitted-
    • When the driver ahead has moved out and given a right turn signal, and you intend to go straight ahead or turn left.
    • When you intend to turn left and have signalled your intention.
    • Where traffic is moving slowly and the vehicles in the lane on your right are moving more slowly than the traffic in your lane.
    DO NOT ACCELERATE WHEN YOU ARE BEING OVERTAKEN.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

You are a mod, you should know better, really.
    STFU, n00b. peasant is not a mod in this forum, so he's a normal poster.

=-=

Also, if the OP came here thinking that we'll all agree, saying he's right, think again. TBH, sounds like the OP nudged the van out, and if he took it further, and the OP was in the wrong (and oh, teh van driver lost his job), the van driver may sue the OP for dangerous driving... think about it.
    prospect wrote:
    there is NEVER and excuse to drive in the hard shoulder on the opposite side of the road, (where there can be oncoming traffic).
    OP has already said there was no oncoming traffic.

=-=

OP, if you're sure you're in the right, go ahead. If not, and the driver brings you to court, for "damaging his good name", you asked for it.

the_syco wrote:
    STFU, n00b

No need for that, the_syco and you know it...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭ds20prefecture

Ooh quick, time for a cat picture.:rolleyes:

Ooh quick, time for a cat picture.:rolleyes:

Not in the motors section, ds20prefecture, as you well know. Have you been sneakily browsing AH or the likes recently on boards.ie though? ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭ds20prefecture

No, the Feedback forum. The response of some criticised moderators there seems to be to swamp criticism with ridiculous cat pictures sporting less-than-humourous captions.

No, the Feedback forum. The response of some criticised moderators there seems to be to swamp criticism with ridiculous cat pictures sporting less-than-humourous captions.

Motors moderators as in (kbannon, silvera and myself)? If so, could you please quote the posts? If not motors moderators, why are you posting about it here? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,269 ✭✭✭DubTony

Great thread guys, even the mods are getting catty.

As for the original post? He should have been reported immediately. Pull in, call the gardai and give the details.

I was on the N3 going from Navan to Dunshaughlin one afternoon when a Peugeot 206 was forced into the opposite shoulder by an oncoming vehicle. (Imagine that). The idiot had been playing games for a couple of miles, weaving in and out as cars approached and overtaking and pushing his way back in. The line of traffic he was trying to get through was easily 40 vehicles long and travelling at a miserable 60 to 70k. He began his manoeuvre just before a long bend and and overtook me and 2 others together, but had nowhere to go (the cars were bunched as is inclined to happen at that speed on that road) when an oncoming car flashed him several times. So he slammed on and dived into the shoulder and stopped. It was probably the safest thing to do. Forcing his way back in could have caused a serious accident. It was a smart evasive manoeuvre given the circumstances, but would never have happened had he not been driving so recklessly. These guys need to be reported immediately. I see no point in making the complaint hours or days afterwards. Do it immediately and there's a better chance that the guy may actually be caught by the Gardai.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gyppo

DubTony wrote:
    I was on the N3 going from Navan to Dunshaughlin one afternoon when a Peugeot 206 was forced into the opposite shoulder by an oncoming vehicle. (Imagine that). The idiot had been playing games for a couple of miles, weaving in and out as cars approached and overtaking and pushing his way back in. The line of traffic he was trying to get through was easily 40 vehicles long and travelling at a miserable 60 to 70k. He began his manoeuvre just before a long bend and and overtook me and 2 others together, but had nowhere to go (the cars were bunched as is inclined to happen at that speed on that road) when an oncoming car flashed him several times. So he slammed on and dived into the shoulder and stopped. It was probably the safest thing to do. Forcing his way back in could have caused a serious accident. It was a smart evasive manoeuvre given the circumstances, but would never have happened had he not been driving so recklessly. These guys need to be reported immediately. I see no point in making the complaint hours or days afterwards. Do it immediately and there's a better chance that the guy may actually be caught by the Gardai.

Hey DubTony,

not having a go at you, but in the above scenario, what if the oncoming car had the same idea - result = head-on collision in the hard shoulder.
    I'd say the chances are high that this could occur.

prospect wrote:
    When I arrive in work in the morning I park and stop in my spot. I do not drive or overtake in it.

Tauren, there is no arguing that MrP or yourself were not referring to stopping in the hard shoulder, but rather completing your overtaking manouvre.

Using pedantics about the definition of driving will not dig you out of that.
    eeeeeeeeehhhhhhhhhhhhh no. I was not refering to overtaking in it. i was talking about driving in it. Regardles of slowing the car to a stop, it is driving. the comment was there is never an excuse to drive in the opposite hard shoulder. Clearly i do not agree with this, based on what driving actually is.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

Tauren wrote:
    eeeeeeeeehhhhhhhhhhhhh no. I was not refering to overtaking in it. i was talking about driving in it. Regardles of slowing the car to a stop, it is driving. the comment was there is never an excuse to drive in the opposite hard shoulder. Clearly i do not agree with this, based on what driving actually is.

No-one mentioned stopping in the hard shoulder until I did.

After that abusive post from the_syco I am going to take my leave of this thread, obviously inteligent discussion escapes some boards users and I am not interested in being personally abused. (not referring to you Tauren).

DubTony wrote:
    As for the original post? He should have been reported immediately. Pull in, call the gardai and give the details

Did you read this thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

OP; if you feel that you were completely in the right, then report it.

Almost everybody else; this thread wasn't about the legality of driving in the hard shoulder. If you want to discuss the legality of driving in the hard shoulder, then start a new thread rather than subjecting the rest of us to 5 pages of twaddle.

Some people; some of us are getting a bit sick of the pedantics in motors, so why not stfu for a while rather than ruining good threads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Spitfire666

well, in reply to the OP, dot report him unless you will be willing to stand up in court and give evidence against the driver. you will be the only witness unless you report it at the time and a garda car sees the ofending manouver.

Otherwise dont bother reporting it as nothing can be done about it.

• Advertisement

Fey! wrote:
    OP; if you feel that you were completely in the right, then report it.

Almost everybody else; this thread wasn't about the legality of driving in the hard shoulder. If you want to discuss the legality of driving in the hard shoulder, then start a new thread rather than subjecting the rest of us to 5 pages of twaddle.

Some people; some of us are getting a bit sick of the pedantics in motors, so why not stfu for a while rather than ruining good threads.
    sorry, surely that should be: some people are getting tired of the padants.. :p

Advertisement