Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

muppet should i report him?

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Tauren wrote:
    sorry, surely that should be: some people are getting tired of the padants.. :p

That has to be deliberate. It has to be. *gibbers*

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

OP - if your still interested in this.....

Are you sure this guy was not already outside you when you pulled out ?
    I think while the Van driver may not be on boards, may be asking his buddies if he should report you!

Sounds a bit far fetched to be that a transit can catch an accelerating car about to overtake another and attempt to over take it.

As for the hard shoulder debate :rolleyes: - Do we need an age validation system to check posters are old enough to drive ?

• Registered Users Posts: 45,740 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Jumpy wrote:
    That has to be deliberate. It has to be. *gibbers*
    yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,893 ✭✭✭patrickc

RobAMerc wrote:
    OP - if your still interested in this.....

Are you sure this guy was not already outside you when you pulled out ?
    I think while the Van driver may not be on boards, may be asking his buddies if he should report you!

Sounds a bit far fetched to be that a transit can catch an accelerating car about to overtake another and attempt to over take it.

As for the hard shoulder debate :rolleyes: - Do we need an age validation system to check posters are old enough to drive ?

I was definitely out first before him and he was driving a fita scudo I said that somehwhere above.. a 07 one so I don;t know are they powerful vans?

• Registered Users Posts: 65,342 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

RobAMerc wrote:
    Sounds a bit far fetched to be that a transit can catch an accelerating car about to overtake another and attempt to over take it
    fita scudo I said that somehwhere above.. a 07 one so I don;t know are they powerful vans?

Afaik it has a powerful multijet diesel engine with a lot of torque which is important during overtaking. Presuming it's not heavily loaded, it will overtake quicker than most Irish petrol cars, i.e. 1.4 Polo, 1.6 Golf, 1.8 Avensis, etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

I still maintain the van was beside him before the OP decided to pull out.
    1. It takes a serious grunt difference to out pull a car which has started off before you as op said he did.( try overtaking a car accelerating from town speed limits )
    2. I doubt anyone is silly enough to intentionally try this particularly when they need to go into the opposite hard shoulder and in a van, come on, I know there are nuts out there but really?

Does it not seem more likely the OP pulled out in front of him ?
    I find it happens regularly - people are too busy looking infront of them, (although the op claims to have looked the van could easliy have been in his blind spot)

• Registered Users Posts: 45,740 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

RobAMerc wrote:
    1. It takes a serious grunt difference to out pull a car which has started off before you as op said he did.( try overtaking a car accelerating from town speed limits )
    2. I doubt anyone is silly enough to intentionally try this particularly when they need to go into the opposite hard shoulder and in a van, come on, I know there are nuts out there but really?

I find it happens regularly - people are too busy looking infront of them, (although the op claims to have looked the van could easliy have been in his blind spot)
    The OP doesn't just claim to have looked - he says he saw the van behind him.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,893 ✭✭✭patrickc

RobAMerc wrote:

where you there to maintain that??? I was out before him, he was behind me as i pulled out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

RobAMerc wrote:
    That makes it sound like you were there.
    RobAMerc wrote:
    Refer back to Unkels post; a 1.9TD Scudo unloaded would have very similar power to a 1.9TD Multipla, and more than a 1.6 petrol Multipla. If the OP had said that the other driver was in one of these, then how would you deal with it?
    RobAMerc wrote:
    I've seen this manouver attempted several times over the years by some of the idiots on our roads, most recently just after the bad bends between Loughrea and Ballinasloe. And in these instances the lead car was all ready pulled out before the second car began it's move.
    RobAMerc wrote:
    Whilst some amount of Irish drivers do not seem to check their mirrors, the way you put it reads that nobody ever checks their mirrors (at least that's how I read it).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,269 ✭✭✭DubTony

gyppo wrote:
    Hey DubTony,

not having a go at you, but in the above scenario, what if the oncoming car had the same idea - result = head-on collision in the hard shoulder.
    I'd say the chances are high that this could occur.

Yeah, good point. Could have been messy. maybe wasn't so smart.

• Advertisement

unkel wrote:
    Did you read this thread?

Yeah, was there a reason you asked? Or was that just another snipey comment?

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Michael G

The van man was almost certainly driving dangerously, because that is what they do, most of them not owning the vans or having to insure them, but maybe you should look again at what you were doing. Blind-spot mirrors, sold in accessory shops for about €3 each, are one of the best investments you can make. They have saved me from trouble several times. You cannot see everything in a basic door mirror.

DubTony wrote:
    Yeah, was there a reason you asked?

The van was tailgaiting and could be reported for that, but it wasn't and still isn't clear that the OP (unknowingly, not on purpose) forced the van unto the opposite hard shoulder. If OP reports the van, he could end up in big trouble, especially if witnesses are found who can confirm that theory

unkel wrote:
    The van was tailgaiting and could be reported for that, but it wasn't and still isn't clear that the OP (unknowingly, not on purpose) forced the van unto the opposite hard shoulder. If OP reports the van, he could end up in big trouble, especially if witnesses are found who can confirm that theory

Just to clarify. I assume you mean if the OP reports the van driver, the van driver will end up in big trouble. Fair enough. But reporting him a few days or even a few hours later is pretty useless as the incident is ancient history. If he's reported immediately, there's a chance that the Gardai might actually catch him further on down the road.

If you meant that the OP might end up in big trouble, I feel it's unlikely. The likelihood is that if he had forced the van into the shoulder, the van driver would have blown his horn and braked. The way things played out it's most likely the van driver was acting the idiot and actually made the move on purpose.

DubTony wrote:
    Just to clarify. I assume you mean if the OP reports the van driver, the van driver will end up in big trouble

My point was that if the OP reports the van driver, the OP could end up in big trouble

Advertisement