Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greens vote for government - 87% of delegates in favour

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭csk

The Greens have also accepted that the controversial M3 motorway in Co Meath, which is to run near the Hill of Tara, will go ahead, despite its previous vociferous opposition to the plan.

Whatever little respect I had for them is gone now. I guess when power comes calling principle goes walking. Dreadful if true.

csk wrote:
    Whatever little respect I had for them is gone now. I guess when power comes calling principle goes walking. Dreadful if true.
    Lol @ the disdain for commuters views in the above post.I doubt if fg and labour if they had the numbers would share it either.

2 cabinet posts I hear according to radio one just now.

I also have to laugh yet again at the inability of some to grasp that coalition is compromise and a party with 6 versus 78 seats all achieved via democracy and that obviously the tiny one compromises the most.
    But by the looks of things-at least they are having an impact, and one lots more significant than their vote.
    They'd be wasted in opposition.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Tristrame wrote:
    Lol @ the disdain for commuters views in the above post.I doubt if fg and labour if they had the numbers would share it either.

2 cabinet posts I hear according to radio one just now.

I also have to laugh yet again at the inability of some to grasp that coalition is compromise and a party with 6 versus 78 seats all achieved via democracy and that obviously the tiny one compromises the most.
    But by the looks of things-at least they are having an impact, and one lots more significant than their vote.

6 seats and 6% of the vote and some people think they should get all their manifesto implemented. The same problem would have arose under FG/Lab.

I think people should wait until the whole document is released and for what ministerial posts they get for what influence they will have.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭csk

Tristrame wrote:

Well I have been a commuter and I still happen not to agree with it...
    As for FG and Labour mores the pity, don't FG share the same views as FF on the M3?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

Does anyone know if you can just turn up for the vote at the end of it, or do you have to be there for the entire thing?
    I just got home from exams now so I don't know if it's worth it to go in if they just tell me to go home for being late

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Seanies32 wrote:
    6 seats and 6% of the vote and some people think they should get all their manifesto implemented. The same problem would have arose under FG/Lab.

No, 6 seats and 6% of the vote and we expect them to stand by the key principles that they waxed lyrical about and physically put their signatures on in order to get our votes!

Everything else is negotiable as is the nature of politics, but there are a number of people selling their souls; they promised us that THEY WOULD NOT SUPPORT A GOVERNMENT THAT DID NOT FIX THE SHANNON ISSUE.

If the Greens do get in, I can already see a HUGE backlash against them in the next election, whenever that might be (sooner rather than later, hopefully); I know that they can count me out if they get in based on selling out, and I've already emailed their website to let them know this.

Hopefully the meeting tonight will have more balls and principles than the "negotiators" seem to have had!

SeanW wrote:
    I'm very surprised, the party of conflicting interests, publicans, developers, incompetence, backhanders and gombeen-man-ism in bed with the party of ecology, quality of life and sustainable development.

Make no mistake, these are diametric opposites.

Or one could reach for other useless glib stereotypes, like (i) the party that has dominated politics and policy in this country and made us what we are in bed with the sandal wearing charming innocents just come down from the trees of Druids Glen, or (ii) the party that has overseen real change in our economy and the civil war on one quarter of this island in bed with the lunatic fringe etc. etc. etc. But of course those would, like your own analogy, be trite and useless in summing up the situation and just really a cloak to have a go.

the party that has......made us what we are

That's not exactly an opposite view, Conor - it, too, depends on what you think we are.......one view is of a shallow, money-and-property-obsessed, overpriced, ASBO and crime-ridden, under-resourced country where both parents HAVE to work to make ends meet and are too busy stuck in traffic to look after their own kids.

They'd avoid the traffic if there were decent transport alternatives and they'd work from home (assuming they have room for an office within their overpriced bottom-of-the-"property ladder" :rolleyes: ), but in order to do that they need broadband options, which are not available, and the telephone, electricity and gas costs also make it prohibitive.

They also DEFINITELY haven't time to contribute to the wider community or voluntary organisations, because of their commute.

And God forbid they try to drink the water....

What FF & the PDs have "made us" is NOTHING to be proud of; we might have gained in a few areas, but we have lost acres in others, and even the gains are being eroded at this stage due to inflation and greed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭CerebralCortex

Liam Byrne wrote:
    That's not exactly an opposite view, Conor - it, too, depends on what you think we are.......one view is of a shallow, money-and-property-obsessed, overpriced, ASBO and crime-ridden, under-resourced country where both parents HAVE to work to make ends meet and are too busy stuck in traffic to look after their own kids.

They'd avoid the traffic if there were decent transport alternatives and they'd work from home (assuming they have room for an office within their overpriced bottom-of-the-"property ladder" :rolleyes: ), but in order to do that they need broadband options, which are not available, and the telephone, electricity and gas costs also make it prohibitive.

They also DEFINITELY haven't time to contribute to the wider community or voluntary organisations, because of their commute.

And God forbid they try to drink the water....

What FF & the PDs have "made us" is NOTHING to be proud if; we might have gained in a few areas, but we have lost acres in others, and even the gains are being eroded at this stage due to inflation and greed.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Everything else is negotiable as is the nature of politics, but there are a number of people selling their souls; they promised us that THEY WOULD NOT SUPPORT A GOVERNMENT THAT DID NOT FIX THE SHANNON ISSUE.

What would the impact of such a move do to Shannon airport? Are there any unbiased figures?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Mick86

Tristrame wrote:

A party founded on principles cannot afford to abandon those principles in pursuit of power. The PDs are a case in point. Trevor Sargent will already have been shown for a charlatan before the Dáil even meets if he leads the Greens into coalition.

Depends on what you think is the priority I suppose.
    Some influence on government or none at all.

I wouldnt mind half the guff you hear during an election.
    Some of it is always going to be like the kind of stuff you say in the heat of an argument-it contains stuff that you on reflection decide you shouldnt have said or that you regard as less important.

A discerning electorate should know this by now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭jjbrien

Does anybody know what exactly do the Greens and FF mean by a new carbon tax? Is it a tax on driving, air travel what do they mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,908 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

jjbrien wrote:
    Does anybody know what exactly do the Greens and FF mean by a new carbon tax? Is it a tax on driving, air travel what do they mean?
    I'm betting that Cowen is already looking at that as a way of raising tax revenue to make up for the losses when the bad times do hit. He'll then turn around and say "it was the Greens." They set themselves up to be shafted there as well.

If it meant that personal taxation went down by the amount carbon tax was introduced then it might be a different kettle of fish. I wouldn't trust FF at all though.

Oh, and good post Liam Byrne

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭Wacker

So it is accepted.

Votes in 87% in favor they sold thier souls

86.81% vote in favour.
    The greens are in government.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,037 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

86% Voted in favour of backing FF

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭Jello

So they're in!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

Jello wrote:
    So they're in!

ye but they sold out...

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

and it seems Trevor Sargent is also preparing to step down as leader of the Greens

linky here

• Registered Users Posts: 24 cork_ie

Just seen a fab post on another board

Henceforth to be known as Ghrianna Fáil

• Registered Users Posts: 2,908 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

Heard that on Newstalk about lunchtime.

I just wonder how long this goverment will last? The greens and PD's dont really like each other. Also if Bertie tries to blame his own peoples short comings on the greens I think they will pull the plug. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Mick86

miju wrote:
    and it seems Trevor Sargent is also preparing to step down as leader of the Greens

Wow association with FF has whacked two party leaders in less than a month.

FF must be the Polonium 210 of Irish politics.:D

Whatever about Sargent, the sad fact is that the Greens are about to prop up a party which has brought Irish politics into the gutter. For all their principles and high moral tone the Greens might as well pitch a hospitality tent at the Galway races and stick the hand out like all those FFers. What matter if they save the world if they lose their soul in the process.
    jjbrien wrote:
    I just wonder how long this goverment will last? The greens and PD's dont really like each other. Also if Bertie tries to blame his own peoples short comings on the greens I think they will pull the plug. :rolleyes:

Ha, no way. Power corrupts. The Green Ministers will like the feel of that power and cling on.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,831 ✭✭✭SeanW

^^ what he said.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,831 ✭✭✭SeanW

Or one could reach for other useless glib stereotypes
    Ok, if what I've wrote is not an accurate review of FF, then please explain:

Whatever happened to Michael McDowell's plan for Cafe Bars? (The only good thing the PDs ever did) I'd REALLY love to hear your explanation for that one.
    Why Ireland has consistently the highest inflation in the Eurozone.
    Why we have the most dysfunctional driver licensing system anywhere in the 1st world.
    Why we have the lowest quality, most expensive broadband in Europe with the worst availability? Why ComReg is either unable or unwilling to get a better deal for users?
    Why we have one of the most expensive property markets in the world with the highest, sustained annual increases in property cost.
    Easily among the worst average commute times in Europe.

I would really love to know how this is consistent with a party of competence, coherent interests and transparency. And before you remind me that FF was democratically elected, I'll remind you that so was George W. Bush and a few even-less desirable characters throughout history.

But more to the point for this thread, what a party like that could POSSIBLY have in common with the Greens?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Government

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

Disgusted, almost feels like been cheated on by your girlfriend! :D

Not only is the FF deal overall a pretty poor deal for the Green Party but they have completely sold their souls with regards to the M3, co-location and Shannon. As a Green voter, I find that absolutely unacceptable. No one can be naive enough to not expect them to make compromises on many issues in negotiations such as these, but rolling over throwing away core policies such as the 3 aforementioned issues which significantly reflect the principles and ideals of the party is writing your own death warrant. I can't see myself ever voting for the Greens again.

I believe the Greens have made a grave mistake tonight. Going into any government with FF or the PDs is a massive risk for any left-wing party like the Greens. With the awful FF and PD record with regards to the environment and standing by promises I can't see this makeup of government lasting more than 3 years. I also haven't taken into account any future economic downturns and certain tribunals.....

Anyway, fair play to Trevor Sargent for standing by his words by resigning tonight. He made the right decision.

• Advertisement

What would the impact of such a move do to Shannon airport? Are there any unbiased figures?

I would assume that there has been no full research into this, so there are no figures, but then there were no figures available when the Green candidates promised that they would stop it and/or would not go into Government unless it was stopped.

Anyway, what price do you put on human life ?

I emailed the Green Party website today to express my disgust.

As for Trevor Sargent, yes he stood by the "words" that he'd uttered, saying that he wouldn't lead the Greens into Government with FF, but I don't think he's stood by the spirit or meaning of those words; resigning as leader while still supporting FF is yet another cop-out.

I will not be voting Greens next time out.

Advertisement