Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Average Speed

Options
  • 12-06-2007 1:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭

Would love to get people's opinions on this one. I'm in my mid forties but only cycling regularly for three years now. I have taken part in a number of charity cycles with no real difficulty. On a number of club cyles however I have a real problem staying with the main bunch - I find it difficult when the average speed goes above 16mph. Is it realistic for someone of my age and experience to increase my average speed or is it that that is simply what I am capable of? I would love to hear from people that have been in this situtaion or know of others who have been able to make a difference.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 731 ✭✭✭jman0

i'm no expert but i'm sure you can improve your speed.
    It's probably just general cardio fitness you want to improve.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Its like any sport, with more practice and exercise your muscles and stamina will adapt to your needs. When your quads begin to build up strength you will find it easier to push that little bit harder without tiring out, so you can go into a higher gear where you couldn't before and see your speed increase.

Try some exercises as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,501 ✭✭✭daymobrew

The bike will make a difference too e.g. tyres pumped appropriately (and suitably narrow).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭cyclopath2001

For your age & if you've not cycled much until a few years ago, 16mph is quite good.

The key for veteran or 'master' riders is to ride smart & manage & use energy efficiently.

So, the right equipment, well maintained for a start. Efficient, suitable clothing & good shoes. Good choice of gear ratio. Effective slip-streaming. Good diet. Recovery techniques. On-road feeding.

Leisure cycling is mostly aerobic, pedalling is better than pushing.

There's also a bit of psychology involved. Sometimes the pace is lifted for a while and eases back, you just need to hang on.

The company you ride with is also important. Experienced riders can be more considerate and maintain a steady smooth pace that is easy to match.

I know cyclists in their 80's and 90's who still enjoy a spin, so take heart, you've still plenty of time to develop your ability.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,249 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

what's your average cadence ?

and yes the difference between having to go at 99% of your best pace and 101% of it is not fun.

that's 25.7 Kmph in real terms

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭michaelm

Thanks for that folks - cadence? Probably approx 70 but not sure - is there a scientific way of measuring this? Also what kind of exercises would you recommend?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,501 ✭✭✭daymobrew

michaelm wrote:
    Thanks for that folks - cadence? Probably approx 70 but not sure - is there a scientific way of measuring this?
    Yes, a bicycle computer with cadence sensor (this is the model I have).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭cyclopath2001

michaelm wrote:
    Also what kind of exercises would you recommend?
    ...More cycling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

I graphed the Wicklow 100 and Wicklow 200 average speeds in kph from 2005 some time back and plotted them on a graph (one point for each cyclist).
    From memory most cyclists in the W100 were going at about 22 kph average, with the W200 at about 25 kph. This might surprise people. How could the average be faster for a longer cycle? Better cyclists in the W200.
    My average last year was about 22kph or just under 14 mph. I'm in my mid-fifties.

I did find my times falling / average speed increasing, on my regular training route as my "training" progressed.

Pumping your tyres to 120 psi using a track pump is a good start.

Advertisement