Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car sale no log book

Options
  • 12-06-2007 1:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭

Hey guys
    One of my friends has a buyer for his car looking to collect it today,the problem is he cant find the logbook off of it.

He's no problem taking the buyer down to the garda station to confirm its not stolen or dodgy in anyway and he's just had the form stamped for a replacement one to be sent out.

What he's wondering is is there any form of letter he can type up and have both them sign to show the car has been sold ect ect

Any help appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

He'd be better off waiting for the cert to come. Signed paper will be no good if there are any parking or speeding fines.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭5500

Afaik he contacted his insurance to suspend the policy from today due to the car being sold so would that stand up with signed papers if a fine were to arrive?

Or what would the chances be of a gaurd stamping a letter signed by both?

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭mickjohnlong

is the car out of tax

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭BJ2007

both the buyer and seller can get a form from a tax office and fill in the details so that a new book is sent to the new owner.

only problem is, i think there is a new form now that requires a solicitors stamp.

im in the process of getting a book for a car i bought and never received the book for coz im trying to sell it now.

I think its out a month

• Advertisement

What They Could Do Is Fill In A Cahnge Of Ownership Form Either
    Rf200 Or Rf105 And A Lost Of Documents Rf134 Get The Rf134 Stamped By The Gaurds And Bring It To The Tax Office And Change The Ownership And Tax The Car Together And The New Owner Will Will Get The Log Book In The Post Get The A Lost Of Documents Done In Both Names As I Am Not Sure Which They Need And You Will Need The Insurance Details For The New Owner If You Need More Info Let Me Know It Sounds Hassle But Once You Do It You Will See Its Easy Enough

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gyppo

I'm in a fairly similar situation at the moment - seller posted the log book to shannon, but it never arrived.

The vehicle registation unit sent me a "statutary declaration form" on which all the car details, date of sale, sellers name and address, buyers name and address, etc.. need to be filled it.

It then needs to be signed be a Peace Commisssioner, and sent back to shannon.

Have'nt heard anything back yet.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭C_Breeze

there is definitiely a form ("affidavit") that you can get where you state that car is being sold without log book. change of ownership.

Chassis number is verified by a dealer and notarised by a solicitior and then sent off to shannon. this can be all done in 1 hr, just fill that out, take a photocopy for yourself and send the form to shannon. They will then send the new owner a log book directly.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

What They Could Do Is Fill In A Cahnge Of Ownership Form Either
    Rf200 Or Rf105 And A Lost Of Documents Rf134 Get The Rf134 Stamped By The Gaurds And Bring It To The Tax Office And Change The Ownership And Tax The Car Together And The New Owner Will Will Get The Log Book In The Post Get The A Lost Of Documents Done In Both Names As I Am Not Sure Which They Need And You Will Need The Insurance Details For The New Owner If You Need More Info Let Me Know It Sounds Hassle But Once You Do It You Will See Its Easy Enough

While your post is exceptionally helpful, please learn some basic punctuation. There's need to capitalise every word and the odd comma, or full stop would make your post much much easier to read (Not trying to sound like a smartarse, but it will go a long way to making people respond to you correctly).

ned78 wrote:
    While your post is exceptionally helpful, please learn some basic punctuation. There's need to capitalise every word and the odd comma, or full stop would make your post much much easier to read (Not trying to sound like a smartarse, but it will go a long way to making people respond to you correctly).

only noticed when my reply was posted that the caps lock was on. So i dunno why it didnt all come out in caps. I know there is no need to capitalise every word and i did not intend as i said i only noticed after my reply was posted that it came out like that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,987 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

eireal wrote:
    Afaik he contacted his insurance to suspend the policy from today due to the car being sold so would that stand up with signed papers if a fine were to arrive?

I doubt it. If that was the cause everyone could pretend to sell their car and not pay any fines.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

Its pretty much as mickjohnlong says, I did it all last month for my own car. The prev owner lost the book but said he'd apply for a new one which never happened ( I knew it wouldn't but I verified ownership).

Anyway the CURRENT owner fills out FR134 and gets the garda stamp on it, then both current and new owners fill out a change of ownership form (RF105 is for Motor Dealers, RF200 is only for pre 1993 vehicles, because you use the existing VLC after this date ), fill out a standard Tax Renewal form
    RF100a.

You cant use either RF105/ RF200/ RF111 according to the notes, but I would fill in the RF200 as you have already a signed declaration that the Vehicle Licensing Cert is missing !

This is how I did it and I got my tax disc there and then, and the VLC followed in the post about 2 weeks later.

Dont forget it is now June, if you tax IS up in June or WAS up in May all the above will apply. If your tax was up prior to the start of May the previous owner will need to pay the arrears, or get the form RF100a stamped by a garda also !!

So RF134(stamped in PO's name), RF200(both names), and RF100a(possibly stamped, in new owners name)

Good luck !!

I sold a jeep to a guy on April 15th. The change of ownership was sent off on the 15th but wasn't processed in Shannon till the 19th. The new owner got a parking fine in Dundalk the second day he had the jeep. The original owner got a fine in the post, and although the change of ownership had been signed before the fine, the Dept. of the environment told me that technically the change of ownership hadn't taken place till they processed it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

colm_mcm wrote:
    I sold a jeep to a guy on April 15th. The change of ownership was sent off on the 15th but wasn't processed in Shannon till the 19th. The new owner got a parking fine in Dundalk the second day he had the jeep. The original owner got a fine in the post, and although the change of ownership had been signed before the fine, the Dept. of the environment told me that technically the change of ownership hadn't taken place till they processed it.
    That don't sound fair at all. What did you do about it?

the original owner obviously wouldn't pay the fine, so we just tried to get the new owner to pay it, which proved tricky! The original owner was a bit miffed because he had signed an RF105 when we bought the jeep off him, and told him that the reason he was signing it was so he wouldn't be getting parking fines or speeding fines! We ended up just sending a cheque with the fine.

You gave in too easy.

Would have made an interesting case in the local court.

If that is the case then I could buy a car on Friday and clock up a load of speeding fines and parking tickets between Friday and the Monday when the form arrives in Shannon and there is nothing the old owner could do and he would still be caught for it all. I would hardly think that would fly.

That's presuming the lady in the Dept. was correct, she offered to send a letter confirming when they processed the change of owership.

I found this online which may be of help

"Change of ownership - Person purchases vehicle, previous owner has lost VLC/VRC or person cannot locate previous owner.

For vehicles registered after 01/01/1993

New owner completes an affidavit which is in turn signed by a Commissioner of Oaths, the person can send it to the VRU, Shannon directly themselves or take the completed affidavit into the Motor Tax Offices who will forward the form to Shannon (there is no necessity for an RF134 to be completed nor is there a fee involved). Shannon will then update the Computer System with the new owners details and a new Vehicle Registration Certificate will issue to the new owner."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭C_Breeze

eireal wrote:

"Change of ownership - Person purchases vehicle, previous owner has lost VLC/VRC or person cannot locate previous owner.

New owner completes an affidavit which is in turn signed by a Commissioner of Oaths, the person can send it to the VRU, Shannon directly themselves or take the completed affidavit into the Motor Tax Offices who will forward the form to Shannon (there is no necessity for an RF134 to be completed nor is there a fee involved). Shannon will then update the Computer System with the new owners details and a new Vehicle Registration Certificate will issue to the new owner."

Exactly wat I said ;)

....and it doesnt have to be a commisioner of oaths, it can be done by a solicitor. Also Chassis number needs to be verified and stamped by a garage

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

the original owner obviously wouldn't pay the fine, so we just tried to get the new owner to pay it, which proved tricky! The original owner was a bit miffed because he had signed an RF105 when we bought the jeep off him, and told him that the reason he was signing it was so he wouldn't be getting parking fines or speeding fines! We ended up just sending a cheque with the fine.

........then it would seem to me that YOU were obliged to pay the fine. When the orish=ginal owner traded the car, he signed an RF105 and YOU were supposed to send that in, suspending the cars ownership in YOUR name until a new owner was found !

You didn't do that so you ARE responsible !

• Advertisement

is there not a section on the fine notice for changing the driver if you were not driving the car at the time or is that only for speeding fines

eireal wrote:

I take it this os the way repo men can sell cars that are snatched back from their defaulting origunal owners?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement