Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Warranty cover - only from your original dealership?

Options
  • 12-06-2007 2:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭

If I want something looked at under (manufacturer) warranty for my new car, do I have to go back to the same dealership I bought it at?

How does it work?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gyppo

Well, it would be usual to go back to the original dealer if convenient to you. But you are entitled to go to any other dealer within the same manufacturers group, and they are obliged to carry out their warranty obligations.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Most warranties are Pan European. Go wherever you wish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

Most warranties are Pan European. Go wherever you wish.
    All manufacturer warranties are, by law.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

elven wrote:
    If I want something looked at under (manufacturer) warranty for my new car, do I have to go back to the same dealership I bought it at?

How does it work?

You can go to any dealer approved by your vehicle manufacturer but make sure its a warranty issue before you have a main dealer "look at" it for you. If it turns out to not be a warranty issue, you'll end up paying for it yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,835 ✭✭✭✭cormie

what usually falls under warranty issues Darragh?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

cormie wrote:
    what usually falls under warranty issues Darragh?

It depends. The OP has given no indication of what the problem is. I've heard of people going back to garages just assuming that they have a problem that can be fixed under warranty when it wasn't covered, they never checked and ended up paying a fortune. In one particular instance, the problem turned out to be a cat that climbed up into the engine compartment and got caught up in the fan belt. The belt snapped and damage was caused to some parts in that area. The customer insisted that the problem be fixed under warranty, completely unaware that it was caused by a cat getting caught in the engine, but when the dealership put the car up on the ramp, they saw hwo the damage was caused, took some pics with a digital camera and wouldn't accept it as a warranty job. So, the customer decided to take the matter up with the distributor in Ireland who told the garage in question to fix the customers problem under warranty.

The customer then contacted the garage and said, "I've been onto the distributor who said you have to fix my car under warranty". So the garage then got back onto the distributor and asked the distributor were they going to pay for the bill as it was now a warranty job. The distributor said no, they were not. So the garage said that they were of the view that someone had to pay for it, and if it wasn't the customer and it wasn't the distributor and it wasn't the garage, then who was paying the bill??? The distributor expected the garage to absorb the 500 odd Euro bill for parts & labour on behalf of the customer, the garage told them to shove it and the customer ended up having to pay the bill to get their car back and rightly so in my opinion.

So the morale of the story is that something that appears to be a warranty job, might not be.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,658 ✭✭✭maidhc

Darragh29 wrote:

So the morale of the story is that something that appears to be a warranty job, might not be.

A more common occurance is when the fuel system in modern diesels fail, the injectors and pump are sent for analysis by a third party. If there is any evidence of water, solvents, or a high concentration of biodiesel, they will not pay out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭elven

So the moral of the story is - watch out for cats in your engine compartment ;)

I know what you mean about things turning out not to be warranty issues, but the same thing would happen if I were to go to the original dealer and it turned out to be a non-warranty issue, wouldn't it...?

Just looking at getting a noise checked out - the dealer where I got the thing was a bit cheeky to me yesterday and I'd rather not deal with them again if possible tbh. Got the first service coming up in a couple k as well.

While I'm here - the thingy on the dashboard is telling me it wants a service even though it's just over 10k, but the book and the dealer says the first service should be at 15k - why would that be?

Advertisement