Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seat Belts

• 12-06-2007 3:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 32

Hi

I have posted this before but never got an answer and now I realise this must be a matter of urgency for me. I am looking to get 3 point seat belts installed in at least one place in my van at the dinette area. Does anyone know anywhere in Dublin (Dun Laoghaire area) that I could get this done. My ordinary mechanic said that he wouldnt do them.

PLease help :)

C

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 460 ✭✭Malta1

Hi

See the thread link below.
    Dont know of anywhere that will do it though.....sorry

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055089697

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭zagmund

The problem (as outlined elsewhere here) is that a badly fitted seatbelt is marginally better (if at all) than no seatbelt, and despite Ireland being the land of "Ah, sure it'll be OK" it seems that garages are very wary of fitting them if they are not qualified. This is a good thing as it stops people getting a false sense of security.

I have the same problem and would like to get some belts fitted to the rear-facing bench seat on mine, although I understand this is now legally not an option based on a post here recently.

If it is not technically/legally disallowed I would be interested in the results of your search. I don't mind paying a fair bit of money to get the extra belt fitted if I can find someone who will do it competently. I understand that it will require significant body work since the fittings are not in place already.

z

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

zagmund

I can't see why fitting belts to a REAR facing seat should be a legal problem, it's the SIDE facing ones that can't be done anymore (and that's only on new vehicles, you can retrofit an old one)

DISCLAIMER:
    This info is "to the best of my knowledge" and may not be correct

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

a more general remark:

In my experience, very little joy is to be had out of most motorhome dealers when comes to doing work / repairs / upgrades. They all seem very pre-occupied with sales of vehicles and accessories and I'm yet to come across a competent motorhome specific garage and repair shop.

My advice when it comes to fitting seat belts would be to look for people that do minibus/van conversions

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭zagmund

Peasant - thanks for the reply. I thought I had read that rear-facing ones couldn't be retrofitted any more, but it was only a shaky understanding, so I am glad to hear your clarification. This is good news for me.

I tried some place out on the Malahide Road who do taxi conversions (i.e. fitting wheelchair restraints to van conversions) but they pretty much said they only fit the one type of restraint to the one type of vehicle (or something along those lines) so they couldn't help.

z

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭NEVCC

I got a seat from a Renault that has a self-contained 3 point seat belt. This has the advantage of being crash tested....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 champer

I have now got these installed. A friend of mine installed it for me, he bought a second hand belt at the scrappers and fitted it for me. Dont know if he is interested in doing anyone elses but I can ask if anyone needs it :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭3ps

I would never fit a second hand belt.

If I look at your postings above it seems to me that you have had a used seat belt fitted by somebody who is not qualified, in a physical location that prehaps was not designed to take a seatbelt.

I am about to fit a seatbelt in my classic car. There is a metal parcel shelf in it and still I am under the impression I have to fit a thick metal plate in the event that the seatbelt rips through the metal shelf.

I would advise caution and try to have it inspected by somebody who knows. I did replace the belts in the car up front, but I purchased the entire set new and just reused the existing mounting points.

Advertisement