Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

I've no chance!

Options
  • 12-06-2007 3:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 848 ✭✭✭

I know this sounds defeated and it is but I have my test in a couple of weeks....been driving for about a year now. Always thought I was an okay driver but going on everyone I know failing at least once and after reading the rules of the road I don't think I'll even pass that part! Driving and getting asked questions about driving are two very different things....what you know driving in practice you might not be able to explain or understand when being asked.

Do they give you choice questions where you pick an answer out of 4 like on the online tests when they are asking you the oral part or do you have to give exact answers?

And what exactly does the test involve? Because some people tell me you don't have to do the three point turn exactly in three points, that you can take as many as you like as long as you get it right? Does it involve parking?

Sorry, freaking out! I drive a lot but parking is not my strong point to say the least.

I'm going to get lessons this week and next week. But I'm dreading it, I'm so nervous my stomach turns when I think about it :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Don't dread your lessons, they'll be great! Is the instructor you are getting recommended? That's important. If you are willing to pay a bit more go for an Irish School of Motoring instructor for at least two lessons.

During the test you are asked questions at the test centre. You don't get multiple choice. Some questions will relate to things such as when you should sound the horn (circumstances and hours of the day), when you should use lights, right of way at junctions etc (You may be shown diagrams). Other questions are based on road signs and their meaning.

During the driving you will be asked to do a turnaround (used to be called a 3-point turn). This can be done in 5 points or even more if you require it but if you take 30 points to do something that could have been done in 5 then this will go against you. You will have to do a hillstart, reverse around a corner and you will be asked to demonstrate use of hand signals (not while actually driving, usually when parked. Your parking as such is not actually tested but slamming into the kerb when asked to pull in will not be good ;).
    Before you even pull off, you will be asked to demonstrate that you know how to use your indicators, wipers, lights, window demisters etc. The tester will make sure that all lights are working properly so be sure they are because if they are not, then you won't be allowed to take the test. You must remember that before you pull off you check all mirrors, signal (indicate) engage gear, let off the handbrake and move off, checking your mirrors again. Failure to properly move off will result in a fail.

Honestly, the lessons will clear up a huge amount of your queries and you will feel far more relaxed afterwards. Good luck :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 848 ✭✭✭MayMay

Thanks so much r3nu4l, informative and calm, thank you :)

I know it's silly to get so worked up and it isn't the end of the world if I fail...you're right about the lessons, I probably will feel better after getting a few. Thank you for your advice! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

MayMay wrote:
    Thanks so much r3nu4l, informative and calm, thank you :)

I know it's silly to get so worked up and it isn't the end of the world if I fail...you're right about the lessons, I probably will feel better after getting a few. Thank you for your advice! :)
    Anytime, I did my test a few years ago in Naas so some things may have changed. Am I right in thinking you live in/near Maynooth? If so PM me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

The Bowlerator is right. If you can drive then you can concentrate on the rules of the road and the correct habits.

I did mine recently

Was asked to identify four road signs (Contra flow bus lane is a popular choice, as is pedestrian zone)

Was asked four general rules questions (where may you not park, when must you not use headlights etc)

Had to demonstrate lights etc working.

Had to show familiarity with "secondary controls" (rear demister, hazard lights, etc)

Remember, as my tester told me, they want to pass you, so don't be too nervous. And good luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,991 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

MayMay wrote:
    been driving for about a year now. Always thought I was an okay driver but going on everyone I know failing at least once and after reading the rules of the road I don't think I'll even pass that part! Driving and getting asked questions about driving are two very different things
    I find it alarming that you have been driving for a year now, have a test in a couple of weeks and have not done any preparation yet. I'm afraid that it is this type of cavalier attitude to driving which contributes to the carnage on our roads. If you are serious about driving responsibly and passing the test I think you would have begun you preparation long before now.

I presume that you have a provisional driving license? When you signed the application form for that license you signed a declaration that you "have a satisfactory knowledge of the rules of the road"! :eek:

Apologies for the little rant but you really need to get your skates on. Good luck with the lessons and the test and let us know how you get on :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

If you're not prepared, just cancel the test - simple as that.

why bother sitting it if 'you've no chance'?

obviously you do think on some level you'll pass or else you would have postponed it ;)

turn the negativity into positivity and believe in yourself :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 848 ✭✭✭MayMay

r3nu4l wrote:
    Anytime, I did my test a few years ago in Naas so some things may have changed. Am I right in thinking you live in/near Maynooth? If so PM me!

Not doing it in Naas r3nu4l, doing it in dublin but thanks.

Advertisement