Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Linda McCartney Veggie range

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭Steven81

I was on to Tescos and asked their customer service when they were going to stock the Linda McCarthy food, they replied that her food has been discontinued in favour of the quorn range in our store.
    Will have to see now will Dunnes Stores get it in.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Peanut wrote: »
    I think it's great... I used to sort of like the sundried tomato ones but they were far too greasy - hydrogenated fat is cheap & nasty stuff.
    I remember in the early 90's her entire range was pulled for excessive use of the above. I thought all the problems were sorted then?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭Washout

Steven81 wrote: »
    I was on to Tescos and asked their customer service when they were going to stock the Linda McCarthy food, they replied that her food has been discontinued in favour of the quorn range in our store.

man that sux...i cant eat the quorn range beacuase it contains eggs.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Ah, that sucks.

They've done the same with Baxters Soups - cut the entire canned range by about half and they don't stock any of the Baxters sachet range just so it seems so they can accommodate their own range of soups.

BTW Tescos own brand soups taste like they were concocted in a chemical engineering lab. Baxters FTW.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

silly tescos! they are always pulling what you want out of the store. i know one tesco which has stopped stocking the cheaper pure spread (vegan). making us pay more for the organic spread...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭lolli

My local tesco got rid of the Linda McCartney range, I went shopping during the week and they had very little Quorn stuff in but on the price tag was written discontinued on most of the stuff. What am I supposed to eat now :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Gauge

I used to be addicted to the Cannelloni... haven't found anything as nice since! I miss it like hell. Never actually tried veggie sausages before, maybe they could help my cannelloni cravings :(

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Nature Boy

i know one tesco which has stopped stocking the cheaper pure spread (vegan). making us pay more for the organic spread...

As far as I can see, every Tesco has done that :mad:

green isle do some nice stuff..

their cauliflower and cheese patty thingy is nice..
    the also do a decent bean burger.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭lolli

They are getting rid of them too :( I like the cheese and cauliflower thing hate things that have kidney beans in them

lolli wrote: »
    My local tesco got rid of the Linda McCartney range, I went shopping during the week and they had very little Quorn stuff in but on the price tag was written discontinued on most of the stuff. What am I supposed to eat now :(

If you mean that then it is probably a good thing for your health that they did.

lolli wrote: »
    They are getting rid of them too :( I like the cheese and cauliflower thing hate things that have kidney beans in them

They as in Green Isle are discontinuing the range? or just tescos removing from their shelves?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

:mad: :mad: :mad: I hate Tesco so much! This is another reason to boycott this evil corporation!

Has anyone seen Linda McCartney stuff in other supermarkets? This is so irritating, it's not like it doesn't sell well!

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Nature Boy

eth0_ wrote: »
    Has anyone seen Linda McCartney stuff in other supermarkets?

I've seen them in Fresh, that supermarket in Smithfield in Dublin. That's about it...

But even at that there wasn't much selection

Nature Boy wrote: »
    I've seen them in Fresh, that supermarket in Smithfield in Dublin. That's about it...

But even at that there wasn't much selection

Recently though? It's only in the past month or so that they have totally disappeared :(

I might ring their customer service number later to see if they have any distribution deals in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭BurnsCarpenter

Anybody notice Quorn stuff disappearing from Tesco now?
    Maybe it's just my local one (Wilton, Cork). Asked the girl stocking the freezers and she said they aren't ordering any more.
    Looks like it's Dunnes for me from now on. :(

FYI they still sell Linda sausage rolls and sausages in that health food shop on Georges St - opposite Dunnes. Got some sossy rolls there today. Nyom nyom!

Again, I'll restate this.

What Tescos appear to be doing is replacing fast selling lines with their own-brand crap.

I've noticed that in particular with the soups they stock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭heggie

dundurm tesco is the exact same.

• Advertisement

Again, I'll restate this.

What Tescos appear to be doing is replacing fast selling lines with their own-brand crap.

I've noticed that in particular with the soups they stock.

I really noticed this the other day when I was in Tesco dundrum - normally I never buy anything from them as I have a very low opinion of them, but my housemate asked me to pick up something for her - they really are taking over with the own brand stuff! I went to get some Ecover surface cleaner and almost picked up the Tesco identikit (but not as ecologically friendly!) product. Always the packaging is very similar to the product they are ripping off, but the product itself is inferior.

Always the packaging is very similar to the product they are ripping off, but the product itself is inferior.
    Two more examples spring to mind - Persil Coloursafe replaced by a very similar Tescos OB and Radox bath foam.

It's like retail worlds version of Invasion of the Body Snatchers.

I really noticed this the other day when I was in Tesco dundrum - normally I never buy anything from them as I have a very low opinion of them, but my housemate asked me to pick up something for her - they really are taking over with the own brand stuff! I went to get some Ecover surface cleaner and almost picked up the Tesco identikit (but not as ecologically friendly!) product. Always the packaging is very similar to the product they are ripping off, but the product itself is inferior.

You do realise that usually everything is made in the same factory, very often its the exact same product in different packets.
    I would be more inclined to accuse the company who was charging me a premium, in exchange for a little marketing, of ripping me off.
    I'm sure ecover is an exception, as their manufacturing methods are a selling point, but I don't think the packaging is similar in that case. Tescos is pink!
    Only for Tesco in the first place, ecover wouldn't have a decent distribution network in this country.

Moonbaby wrote: »
    You do realise that usually everything is made in the same factory, very often its the exact same product in different packets.
    Not always. Another product that comes to mind is Evian. Tescos were 'out of stock' on the 6-packs of this for ages and were pushing their own brand water in its place.

I would be more inclined to accuse the company who was charging me a premium, in exchange for a little marketing, of ripping me off.
    I'm sure ecover is an exception, as their manufacturing methods are a selling point, but I don't think the packaging is similar in that case. Tescos is pink!
    Only for Tesco in the first place, ecover wouldn't have a decent distribution network in this country.

You can't apply that logic to every product made by supermarkets, in fact i'd even go for far as to say it could be an urban legend, because tesco own brand stuff is mostly CRAP.

Their eCover rip off isn't as environmentally friendly as they make it out to be - do you really think eCover would make something like that?

And i've almost always bought my eCover products in health food shops like Nourish.

Not always. Another product that comes to mind is Evian. Tescos were 'out of stock' on the 6-packs of this for ages and were pushing their own brand water in its place.

What a load of nonsense. You think because they put the water on the same place on the shelf they expect you to buy it?
    They are completely different products, someone wanting to pay a premium for a brand is not going to find Tesco's own appealing.
    There must be 15 different brands of mineral water to choose from.
    I don't even think tesco do a mineral water, its spring ie possibly tap.

What a load of nonsense. You think because they put the water on the same place on the shelf they expect you to buy it?
    That's what they did with the soups.
    I don't even think tesco do a mineral water, its spring ie possibly tap.
    They do. It's called Perthshire Mountain Spring.

I decided to go to Dunnes in Donaghmede yesterday. It's amazing that for a shop with about 1/3 the floor size of Tesco in Clarehall that it has about 4 times the product range.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭TheBigLebowski

Moonbaby, what are you talking about? None of the tesco's home brand are the same products. They don't look or taste the same. They don't even sell quorn like products. Maybe it is true for some other products but this dicussion is about the veggie food. Do some research before you start spouting rubbish you clearly know nothing about.

RE: Linda McCartney in Ireland, this is the response I got to an email to Hain.

Thank you for your interest regarding the Linda McCartney range. Please accept our sincere apologies for the delay in responding.

Unfortunately, we currently have no supplier within Ireland that sells Linda McCartney products although this is something we are actively working on and hope to be able to supply our products soon.

We are therefore, unable to provide further details at this time but please do not hesitate to contact us again in the future and we may be able to update you on the situation.

Thank you again for taking the time to contact us and we hope we have been able to offer some assistance.

Should you have any further queries or feedback please do not hesitate to get back in touch.

Kind regards

Consumer Contact Coordinator
    Hain Celestial UK Limited

You can't apply that logic to every product made by supermarkets, in fact i'd even go for far as to say it could be an urban legend, because tesco own brand stuff is mostly CRAP.

Their eCover rip off isn't as environmentally friendly as they make it out to be - do you really think eCover would make something like that?

And i've almost always bought my eCover products in health food shops like Nourish.

I hadn't time to reply to this earlier.
    Obviously this doesn't apply to everything. Ecover has a high quality niche product, doesn't make sense to use any extra capacity to produce a rival for their own unique product.
    However its not an urban myth, have a look at any of the big food manufacturing groups websites. www.northernfoods.co.uk www.kerrygroup.com. They all are happy to advertise that they produce the retailers own brands as well as their own.

Also I used to have a hard time finding ecover outside of Dublin and its healthfood chains. Because individual retailers often don't stock products they don't like and have crap restocking rates. Generally they wait until they run out, and a bit more until they have a big enough order. It could be weeks from the day you went looking until you get your ecover.
    My local healthfood shops, don't believe in actual food. They only stock pills and ancient canned versions of things like humous. :(

• Advertisement

That's what they did with the soups.

I think your paranoid.
    Tesco has has been broadening the diversity of its ranges, and these things are eating up space.
    My local tesco even a new section with proper ethnic storecupboard ingredients. :)

Advertisement