Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Just finishing Build

Options
  • 12-06-2007 4:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm just finishing up the build on my new system. Any comments?

I not 100% on the memory so may change that at a later date. Also, I'll probably stay with Win XP until I hear better reports on Vista.

Motherboard: Asus Striker Extreme, nForce-680i SLI, Socket-775, 2xGbLAN, DDR2, 2xPCI-Ex16

Graphics Card: Point of View GeForce 8800GTX 768MB, GDDR3, PCI-Express, DVI/Tv-Out, Ret

Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad Extreme Edition QX6700 "LGA775 Kentsfield" 2.66GHz (1066FSB)

Memory: 4GB OCZ (4 x 1GB) PC2-8500 1066MHz SLI-Ready Edition Dual Channel DDR2

Power Supply: Seasonic M12 Modular 700W Silent ATX2.0 Power Supply

Sound Card: Creative X-Fi Xtreme Gamer 7.1 Soundcard

Hard Drive: Western Digital Raptor X 150GB WD1500AHFD 10,000RPM SATA 16MB Cache

Case: Zalman FC-ZE1 Fatal1ty Champion Computer Enclosure

Cooler: Zalman CNPS9700-NT nVidia Tritium Super Aero Flower Cooler

Drive: Plextor PX800A 18x18 DVD±RW Dual Layer ReWriter

Operating System: Windows Vista Ultimate

Monitor: Dell Ultrasharp 30" Widescreen LCD Monitor

Headset: Razer Barracuda Headset, for gaming, Oxygen-free copper cable

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

Don't waste money on quad core unless you have concrete plans on actually using it.

If your a general user than a E6700 will serve you a lot better.

The SLI motherboard is well not really needed unless you plan on using SLI you would be better off getting an Intel P35 chipset.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

Change the cooler too.. I have a Zalman 9500... Kinda rather having something else now.. My CPU on load gets about 50 degreess which I dont like

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Robertr

8T8 - Got the Quad for a trade on my 660 + 400 so was a good deal. I'm a pretty serious gamer so will deffo be going SLI on the 8800's.

DeafVision - The 9700 is way bigger then the 9500 so I assume it does a better job cooling. I've never seend anything like 50 on mine.

I've also made a few changes:

Monitor - Going for a Dell 30" beast!!!!
    Memory - Getting another 2GB
    Motherboard - Going for the Asus Striker Extreme
    Fan Control - Akasa 5 1/4" Fan controller pro, multi colour panel, temp sensor
    Headset - Razer Barracuda Headset, for gaming, Oxygen-free copper cable

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

Im going get the thermalright ultra120 extreme! Seems really good maybe that might work for you?

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

Yeah, I probablyl would if I didn't already have the 9700. But I don't really have any cooling problems and I love the look of it through the case door. It has a green LED on the fan.

HS-027-ZA_400.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Dooom

The Raptor? If you've the money, then may as well but imo there was next to no difference between one and a normal HD...your call though.
    Only other thing I can see is the keyboard, fingerprint thing is a bit gimmicky and after playing with one the other day I thought it was horrible. Could just be my not being used to it.

Other than that...spare a tenner? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭SwampThing

To save yourself some heartache - make sure the memory and the striker are compatible. Can be a biatch if they're not, or so I hear.

And I take it you're putting Vista 64-bit on there, esp. with that much memory, and you're going into it with your eyes open?

Dooom - Going to go for the Raptor. Might as well see what they are like. The Fingerprint reader is great for surfing. You don't have to bother signing in to any website. Just a quick scan and its done.

Swampthing - Yeah, getting a bit worried about that, seems the Striker does have a few issues. I might just stick to 2GB until I can fully test it.

Advertisement