Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Biology (H)- The Aftermath...

Options
  • 12-06-2007 5:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭

I thought that was grand tbh, i got all section A done, 3 experiments, and 5 in section C..and still out an hour early! I was expecting the eye/ear tho, no sign!
    Question 12 was tricky with the nitrogen cycle imho, left that out...happy overall tho..:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭izzyflusky

Same as u, the only thing is i only did one experiment. Was soo happy when i got the test cuz i was freakin out last nite n this mornin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭Steve01

Overall I'm very happy, 99% sure I got the A. I did the photosynthesis and enzyme experiments on Section B, both questions were lovely. Section C was probably easier than its every been! I was finished all necessary questions by half 3 (half an hour each for sections A and B - my arse) so I did an extra one.
    Section A was alright though I didn't like some of the questions, particularly the one on genetic crosses

Yeah the crosses were easy but i wasnt sure bout those lines on top. i hope they were for XX n Xy, otherwise i got it wrong. A bit confusing tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭alancork

in the short question on zylem, Q6, what are the two different types of zylem?couldnt remeber...hoping 4 a B or an A anyway...woo..:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Nehpets

Wasn't planning on counting it in my 6 because earlier I was prepared to fail it. Thought it was easy relative to what I was thinking :D

• Advertisement

I was so pissed off when i couldnt answer that part cuz i was lookin at that diagram just before i left my house but didn't think we'd get anytin like that anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭Selphie

Hope I got the B I needed, then again its kinda hard to tell with Bio, though I answered everything I could. Great experiments, photosynthesis and enzymes, Section A was fine except for the genetic crosses, couldn't work that out. Did all of section C and stayed in til the end. Happy enough, cause I thought it'd be much worse. My drawings are laughable though...total crap! Forgot a couple of things, but overall I think it went pretty well.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

Lovely! Did 2 experiments, left out photosynthesis, then did respiration, blood, breathing system, viruses, immunity, reproduction and hormones. Fantastic. Could have done ecology and genetics, but don't like DNA profiling or the nitrogen cycle.

Wrote so much that I finished 5 minutes before time. Got a D in the mocks, but this was far easier. Couldn't remember a beneficial use of viruses, but everything else was grand really. I'd be dissapointed with less than a b2. B1..or maybe even an A2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 279 ✭✭adam_ccfc

alancork wrote:
    in the short question on zylem, Q6, what are the two different types of zylem?couldnt remeber...hoping 4 a B or an A anyway...woo..:D
    They were Xylem Vessel and Xylem Tracheid.

I did every question on it, the entire paper. Absolutely delighted with it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭carlowboy

Hopefully got an A1 there. Easiest paper they put up yet and the question on the lung was nearly a copy of the one in the Sample paper. Makes you wonder if they'll mark it hard though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Bluefox21

yeah it was ok prob only got a b and I was looking for an A an economic benefit of viruses anyone get something for that I said chemical weapons :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭qz

Grand paper. I love the way you can just daydream for half an hour and still havve time to finish the paper with another hour to spare.
    Such a relief to have it over with though. Now what to do during my 8 days of freedom?

And no I'm not studying.

I actually thought of writing that, but at the end decided not to hahaha

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Oatesy

viruses can be used to transfer healthy genes into the lungs of cycstic fobrosis sufferers . :D Better have got my marks for that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭Assez Bien

Was an easy enough paper but i wasn't happy with that genetic cross question, like as a short question its a bit tricky for some! They're probably gonna rape us regarding the way its marked though, your answers will prob have to be spot on considering the way the state isn't happy with the amount of people opting for biology instead of physics or chemistry.

One beneficial example is GBV-C virus, which reduces death rates in HIV sufferers.

(I recommend Biology: Essential Exam Revision by Sarah Dilleen to anyone doing Bio LC next years :) )

Did anyone here go to the crash course in trinity in january or february? cant remember when it was really, with joe reville or sumtin like that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭carlowboy

Oatesy wrote:
    viruses can be used to transfer healthy genes into the lungs of cycstic fobrosis sufferers . :D Better have got my marks for that

Aye, I wrote about the retroviruses used in drugs for HIV.

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Eddie Ere

I know this is an honours thread, but not bothering starting a new thread just for pass Biology.

Pass was pretty simple, short questions a doddle, experiments had the ''throw a quadrat over an area'' one :D

Sec C was mixed with Respo instead of Photo, very small part on Genetics and VERY little plants.. yay!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 sezconz

dunno wat to think about it, was able to answer everything but still dunno!did anyone get the answer about the DNA in rats and using your knowledge in mitosis and DNA etc etc etc....didnt no where to start?!??!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28 -blondie-

Everyones making me feel worse about it! I found it kinda hard, I had been aming for a B1/A2 but now Im not sure I even got the B

:(

sezconz wrote:
    dunno wat to think about it, was able to answer everything but still dunno!did anyone get the answer about the DNA in rats and using your knowledge in mitosis and DNA etc etc etc....didnt no where to start?!??!
    They are all somatic (body) cells, so they are diploid, and contain chromosomes in homologous pairs, unlike sex cells, which are haploid, and would only contain half the DNA. Just throw in that mitosis results in daughter cells with the same number of chromosomes as the parent cell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 pilchard

-blondie- wrote:
    Everyones making me feel worse about it! I found it kinda hard, I had been aming for a B1/A2 but now Im not sure I even got the B

:(

I'm feeling pretty much the same.. i probably did ok, but the exam was not what i expected..(i dunno what i expected though)..

for some reason i just really didnt like it:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 332 ✭✭BlackMamba

thought it was grand. Thank god, i was having a painc attack all this morning!

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Splinkk

Was over the moon. I worked my arse off all day yesterday after maths paper 2 for it and it really paid off.
    Got a C2 in the mock, and would have been happy with any improvement on that, but now I think I could have gotten the A! =)

That diagram for the mitosis question was appalling. Like if it was the same picture in the book I would have known without a doubt what phase it was in.
    Out of interest what was the correct answer?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 chas_88

Steve01 wrote:
    That diagram for the mitosis question was appalling. Like if it was the same picture in the book I would have known without a doubt what phase it was in.

Metaphase.
    I don't think it needed a better diagram really, you could get everything that was asked from the one given.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Marshy

Steve01 wrote:
    Metaphase, 2n=4, thats what I got.

Yeah it was obvious as sin, in fairness, if you actually knew the stages!

• Advertisement

adam_ccfc wrote:
    Yeah it was obvious as sin, in fairness, if you actually knew the stages!

Like hell it was. It looked nothing like it does in the textbook and it was difficult to tell whether the chromosomes were arranged along the centre or whether they were moving apart. But since it looked like the spindle fibres weren't pulling apart (again, hard to tell) I went for metaphase and got the marks. So ha! :p

Advertisement