Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Biology (H)- The Aftermath...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Kwekubo

Is sucrose a simple sugar?? please say yes please say yes
    Do you mean a reducing sugar or a monosaccharide? In either case it's not I'm afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Kwekubo wrote:
    Do you mean a reducing sugar or a monosaccharide? In either case it's not I'm afraid.
    yea got it wrong

got 3/5 in the first short q :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

I loved the first short question. I hope photosynthesis is an anabolic reaction in plants.

Yes I've accepted I'm wrong about the mitosis question, happy!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

I loved the first short question. I hope photosynthesis is an anabolic reaction in plants.

Yes I've accepted I'm wrong about the mitosis question, happy!!

It is! My PaRc was the first thing on the paper! (photosynthesis anabolic, respiration catabolic) :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭genericgoon

Yes the first question is the only one Im 100 % I got all right.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭Selphie

eZe^ wrote:
    It is! My PaRc was the first thing on the paper! (photosynthesis anabolic, respiration catabolic) :D

lol, you told me that once in a thread, and I remembered it since.
    Thank u!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Nehpets

That question was a bit obvious anyway, surprised if anyone in the country got that wrong. I'm not even good at bio. I feel like my result won't be how I felt the exam went unfortunately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭Selphie

Nehpets wrote:
    That question was a bit obvious anyway, surprised if anyone in the country got that wrong. I'm not even good at bio. I feel like my result won't be how I felt the exam went unfortunately.

That's so weird, I feel exactly the same. Like, I thought the paper went well, and immediately after I thought I'd got a good result. Now, I just dont know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 spongebobgirl

Does anyone know what the **** were the organisms in the ecology short question?! NOTHING would fit!

It was inverted. I made something stupid up, can't remember what! Like a tree can support many animals so the bottom is smaller and the many animals are bigger..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41 pilchard

Does anyone know what the **** were the organisms in the ecology short question?! NOTHING would fit!

i dunno but i put Oak at the bottom followed by Catterpillar then Sparrow and finally Hawk.

Oak>catterpilar>sparrow>Hawk

But i just guessed.

That'll work. I said green fly.... do sparrows eat flys? :D probably not haha, hopefully I have a nice corrector!

Nehpets wrote:
    That'll work. I said green fly.... do sparrows eat flys? :D probably not haha, hopefully I have a nice corrector!

Sparrows eat greenfly and caterpillars, gan amhras, but there are certainly more of said insects than sparrows in a habitat, and that's not what the bars showed! I thought up a lovely story of 3 bank voles living in an oak tree, and several more foxes in the vicinity, and a few kestrels to eat THEM! If only my English paper was as good as my Biology one... :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Carsinian Thau

I wrote Cabbage plant > Rabbit > Fleas > Spider.
    Was tempted to write Dead Badger > Fly > Bacteria > Fly's Immune System but I didn't think they'd give me the marks. Almost started laughing when I though of it because it reminded me of a Jason Byrne gig I saw on tv.
    Overall I thought the paper was fair but the diagrams were of very poor quality and some questions were a bit ambiguous.

Q: What endocrine gland is located in the pancreas? I said Islets of Langerhans but I thought the pancreas itself was the endocrine gland. Didn't feel right to say that the pancreas is located in the pancreas though...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Pancreas is both endocrine and exocrine. The endocrine sections are indeed the islets of langerhans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Carsinian Thau

So I should get the marks for being right?
    That reminds me, the difference between endo and exo aside from hormone production is that endocrine glands don't have ducts right?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

I said Grass-apids-wrens-hawks, which sooo happens. Couldn't remember islets of Langerhans, just wrote pancreas..

I said Grass-apids-wrens-hawks, which sooo happens. Couldn't remember islets of Langerhans, just wrote pancreas..

Hmm... that's a good one, cause I suppose around 3 aphids could live on one blade of grass. I'd say there'd be more aphids than wrens so the problem isn't solved!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 pilchard

i was nearly in hysterics in the biology exam too..

our examiner is a man, and during that test he kept looking at what i was writing,(he was probably bored,we were like 1hr 30mins in and only about 4 people left), anyway he looked over my shoulder saw that i was doing a diagram of the male reproductive organs, i usually wouldnt care but, the way he jumped back and walked away was really funny:) ....
    the good part is that he hasnt looked over my shoulder since.

you'd think that they'd be used to such things!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 279 ✭✭adam_ccfc

So I should get the marks for being right?
    That reminds me, the difference between endo and exo aside from hormone production is that endocrine glands don't have ducts right?
    Yeah, the endocrine gland itself is the Islets Of Langerhans, and it's located in the Pancreas.

The two main differences you could have mentioned between endocrine and exocrine glands apart from the hormone bit were (a) the exocrine glands release their secretions through a tube or duct and (b) they release their secretions to the outside.

• Advertisement

I wrote Cabbage plant > Rabbit > Fleas > Spider.

Would one cabbage plant support many rabbits? (I've no idea, but thinking about it, it probably would)

I wrote "isle of langerhans" - hope I get the marks!

"That reminds me, the difference between endo and exo aside from hormone production is that endocrine glands don't have ducts right?"

Yep, hormones travel in the bloodstream. They are proteins.

btw, for the Pyramid Of Numbers, I said Oak tree -> Aphid -> Ladybird -> Spider.

adam_ccfc wrote:
    btw, for the Pyramid Of Numbers, I said Oak tree -> Aphid -> Ladybird -> Spider.

But a ladybird needs to eat lots of aphids! Aghhh.... I think the rabbit -> cabbage one is close, but do spiders eat fleas?!

But a ladybird needs to eat lots of aphids! Aghhh.... I think the rabbit -> cabbage one is close, but do spiders eat fleas?!
    I really don't know how stringently they'll mark this one, tbh. Wait and see.

adam_ccfc wrote:
    I really don't know how stringently they'll mark this one, tbh. Wait and see.

I reckon they'll give you marks for showing you understand the relationship, as in the cabbage->rabbit->fleas->spider would prolly get marks even though it's not really realistic, because it shows an understanding of the numbers. Which mean the one I used prolly won't get marks... shhucrose!

It seemed to me from the last part of that question that they were only particularly bothered about having a primary consumer that was more numerous than the producer, maybe I'm wrong.

adam_ccfc wrote:
    It seemed to me from the last part of that question that they were only particularly bothered about having a primary consumer that was more numerous than the producer, maybe I'm wrong.

What's the use in vile speculation!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭carlowboy

adam_ccfc wrote:
    Yeah, the endocrine gland itself is the Islets Of Langerhans, and it's located in the Pancreas.

That's technically incorrect. The answer probably was Islets of Langerhans BUT they asked for the gland and that is not a gland. Its a tissue if anything. The gland is the pancreas.

Its only 2 marks, but its not in any of the texbooks (apart from Joe Reville's, but he's a genius) because it was only added recently to the course as a supplement.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pancreas

carlowboy wrote:
    That's technically incorrect. The answer probably was Islets of Langerhans BUT they asked for the gland and that is not a gland. Its a tissue if anything. The gland is the pancreas.
    Yeah but the pancreas ain't an endocrine gland, it is an exocrine gland!

You're being a tad pedantic, perhaps they should have said "hormone-secreting cells", but it hardly matters, it was obvious what they were looking for.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Lucas10101

I said Cabbage Plant, Ladybirds, Greenfly and Spiders?

I know this is wrong as Greenfly don't eat Ladybirds. But would I get some marks here or what?

Advertisement