Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Biology (H)- The Aftermath...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭carlowboy

adam_ccfc wrote:
    Yeah but the pancreas ain't an endocrine gland, it is an exocrine gland!

You're being a tad pedantic, perhaps they should have said "hormone-secreting cells", but it hardly matters, it was obvious what they were looking for.

Pancreas functions as an endocrine and exocrine gland. The pancreas is technically the gland that secretes it are glands are organs and the Islets are tissues(maybe tissues) making up the gland.

The answer technically was that but its not on the syllabus and apparently only fleetingly mentioned in an in-service once. I know, only 2 marks but I'm like that :D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pancreas

God my expression is awful!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Lucas10101

They gave the location as the Pancreas and wanted to know where the Hormone comes from, forget about technicalities, were not in fourth year Biology finals here, it's the Leaving Cert.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 279 ✭✭adam_ccfc

No doubt it should have said hormone-secreting cells/tissue, but as it specified that the location was the Pancreas, I seriously doubt anyone would be so obsessively proud of their values to turn down the marks and fill in Pancreas again!

adam_ccfc wrote:
    No doubt it should have said hormone-secreting cells/tissue, but as it specified that the location was the Pancreas, I seriously doubt anyone would be so obsessively proud of their values to turn down the marks and fill in Pancreas again!

Clearly I'm not that bad! Only 2 marks I suppose and I am a pedantic fecker.

Would an examiner do this to students, it's blank because it's a different answer, duh. At the end of the day, the examiners will want to see the words Islets of Langerhans. It's half a percent of your exam. 0.5% which won't bring you up from 84.3% to an A- lol. Either way, just accept it for crying out loud.

Anyway, I said Athletes Foot as a Viral Disease for some strange reason. Let's argue it's a Viral Disease and not a Fungal disease geez????

• Advertisement

The only problem with the question was the word "gland". Perhaps if they had said 'Produced in:' instead.

So we'll leave it at that then?

!!!!!CONVERSATION ABOUT THOSE PETTY TWO MARKS IS NOW FINISHED!!!!!
    How did you find the experiment question on Leaf Yeasts? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Nehpets

didn't do it

Didn't do it as the other two are bloody handy and were rightly predicted. Only other question didn't do was the genetics in Section C. Hadn't learned the profiling and was expecting protein synthesis.

Thankfully learned the Nitrogen Cycle five minutes before going in :D

• Advertisement

Thought leaf yeast experiment question was fine, as was the whole paper!

adam_ccfc wrote:
    Thought leaf yeast experiment question was fine, as was the whole paper!

Agree there! Lovely paper, probably means they'll be tougher on the marking and they want to lessen the A1s this year compared to last year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭Selphie

carlowboy wrote:
    Agree there! Lovely paper, probably means they'll be tougher on the marking and they want to lessen the A1s this year compared to last year.

Noooooo. I thought I did well enough to get a B. Maybe I'll get a nice corrector.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 petebrickette

Well, Bio is my weak subject and so wasn't really planning on counting it but I think the paper went well enough to choose it as my sixth over good ol' pass maths.

carlowboy wrote:

How do you know? :( Not that I was going for an A but I guess all the grades would be pushed down then

Nehpets wrote:
    How do you know? :( Not that I was going for an A but I guess all the grades would be pushed down then

My mother is my biology teacher and was at a Biology Support Service convention with the Chief Examiner as speaker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭melsman

if youve earned the A then youll get the A, regardless of how tough marking schemes are if the right answer is there you cant argue with it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭genericgoon

Thats true but not everyone has got everything right and the severity of the marking scheme will affect them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

Ah you don't know what it'll be like yet, so stop scaring everyone. And I know loads of people who found it hard, so maybe that'll be reflected through the country..

Ah you don't know what it'll be like yet, so stop scaring everyone. And I know loads of people who found it hard, so maybe that'll be reflected through the country..

I'm just going by what the Chief Examiner said. :confused:

• Advertisement

Yes lovely but isn't he judging by the paper, and not by the thousands of scripts?

I said Cabbage Plant, Ladybirds, Greenfly and Spiders?

I know this is wrong as Greenfly don't eat Ladybirds. But would I get some marks here or what?

I think for everyone that drew the Lungs may be penalised for bad diagram. I think if there is stricter marking then they may expected you to draw the Pleural Membranes, Cartilage Rings around the bronchus and trachea and maybe diaphragm for completeness. Even though they didn't specify them, they asked for a diagram of the respiratory system after all. I forgot the Diaphragm so will probably lose 3 marks.

Q. Name the main gas transported in the blood vessel that you have names in (i). How is this Gas transported?

I wasn't sure and said Oxygen and transported in the Haemoglobin in Erythrocytes.
    I think they expect CO2 and transported as Bicarbonate Ions in the Erythrocyte Plasma.

Also,...

Q. Name the process involved in the passage of gas between the alveolus and the blood?

I said Diffusion, is this right?

What the hell are pleural membranes? Not in our book, but the book is terrible..

I had mouth, epiglottis, trachea, rings of cartilage, bronchus, bronchioles, alveoli, ehh, lungs, ribs, intercostal muscles and the disphragm. The head is absolutely deformed and the poor soul has no arms.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

What the hell are pleural membranes? Not in our book, but the book is terrible..

I had mouth, epiglottis, trachea, rings of cartilage, bronchus, bronchioles, alveoli, ehh, lungs, ribs, intercostal muscles and the disphragm. The head is absolutely deformed and the poor soul has no arms.

They only asked us to label like 4 things so it would extremely unfair to mark on other things.

My diagram was pretty basic but i included what they said and that's what they expected it was probably worth like 8/10 marks all in all so they are not going to expect you to draw some masterpiece.

I reckon 2 for each lable (8) and 2 for the diagram.

Lucas10101 wrote:
    I said Cabbage Plant, Ladybirds, Greenfly and Spiders?

I know this is wrong as Greenfly don't eat Ladybirds. But would I get some marks here or what?

I think for everyone that drew the Lungs may be penalised for bad diagram. I think if there is stricter marking then they may expected you to draw the Pleural Membranes, Cartilage Rings around the bronchus and trachea and maybe diaphragm for completeness. Even though they didn't specify them, they asked for a diagram of the respiratory system after all. I forgot the Diaphragm so will probably lose 3 marks.

If they do, its a disgrace. They only asked to label the 3 parts. It said draw the system. Label lungs, broncus and trachea. I only labelled the 3 parts but I know all the parts because they asked for 3 labels.

Lucas10101 wrote:
    Q. Name the main gas transported in the blood vessel that you have names in (i). How is this Gas transported?

I wasn't sure and said Oxygen and transported in the Haemoglobin in Erythrocytes.
    I think they expect CO2 and transported as Bicarbonate Ions in the Erythrocyte Plasma.

Also,...

Q. Name the process involved in the passage of gas between the alveolus and the blood?

I said Diffusion, is this right?

You'll probably get full marks on the oxygen part but maybe mentioning oxyhaemoglobin would help. The CO2 part was superfluous and won't be marked if they don't ask for it.

I bloody hope its diffusion!

Balls I didn't write diffision.. I think I wrote active transport :o:o

Yeah tis diffusion across the alveolar membrane.

They just get each examiner to mark 20 papers and then they view the general results pool. They can amend the marking scheme if they think there'd be a disproportionate number of As (i.e. too high or too low).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭genericgoon

This is why when I see people leave early I dont laugh at them or feel all superior. We really should thank them.

Advertisement