Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving the hall early

Options
  • 12-06-2007 5:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 348 ✭✭

What's your opinion on leaving the exam room well before the designated time? It completely bewilders me! The time is there for a reason...to be used properly to get the best result!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭nedward

Yeah, haven't left early once yet. I figure I only have one chance to do the exam. Even if I just sit there staring at the wall, it's better than being outside remembering what I should have put in.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭izzyflusky

So far i´ve left early every single exam. But that always happens to me (except in maths paper 2 durin the mocks).If i have done all i could do, revised, etc n still have time left, i dnt c the point of stayin in the hall.
    Although I can see how in may annoy the people that are still doing their tests because of the noise...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

Today for French, everyone but me and this other guy left at least 20 mins before the end(there were 5 of us left at 11:20).

I left at 11:55, I was finished by 11:40, but decided not to leave the other guy on his own.

If you're not taking an exam too seriously there's no harm in leaving early I guess. I always use my time the the full and take my time with things.

There is a ridiculously long amount of time for French though.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,390 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

I've left early way too many times. English both papers I was in the whole time. Maths both papers, I'd looked over the papers twice, and there was 10 mins left, so left just before the resriction. Irish is different, dont care for that, so left ASAP. French, same as Maths, 10 mins early. I'd never try and rush the exam, and I always check it anyway, plus when my concentration is wiped, I dont see the point in trying to hang on for 10 extra minutes staring blankly at the pages.

• Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭sternn

I would agree with this for most subjects...but for the likes of ordinary irish, the time we are allowed is far too much. Everyone in our school were out after an hour of paper 2, with still well over an hour to go. This is one subject where you almost have to leave, as you would probably die of boredom, unless of course you wanted to answer every question on the paper!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭nedward

Yeah. I had the minimum done in French by 10.45. Eventually ended up doing seven out of the eight written tasks. English P1 took me so little time last year as well. I;ve been on my own for the last hour and a half for all my exams so far!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

Yesterday for maths i had a splitting headache and i just wanted to get out of there so i left early.

Still confident i got the A though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭Steve01

I've left most exams early. Not insanely early, generally between 15-30 minutes they end. Honestly I think there's way too much time allocated for some exams. Take biology for instance (which finished just 20 minutes ago...) I was finished all necessary questions after less than an hour and a half, with another hour and a half to spare.
    Ah well, better too much time than too little.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 348 ✭✭analyse this

If i have done all i could do, revised, etc n still have time left, i dnt c the point of stayin in the hall.
    Although I can see how in may annoy the people that are still doing their tests because of the noise...

The exam also tests your time management skills in a pressure situation i.e. the time is also specifically organised to test your ability relative to each subject. However, I do feel that french is being allocated too much time! I was finished a good 5-7 minutes before the ending which gave me plenty of time to go over and correct the whole paper twice! Thus, I dont see how you can be finished early if you have answered every question properly and fully. It infuriates me when I see these guys who leave the exam hall a good hour before the designated time! And I can guarantee you that it will be them who will be complaining when the results come out!:mad:

ok I'm glad I got that outta my system!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Left my Maths paper 1 half an hour early and got an A1 (last year). SOme people just work faster than others, the time is enough time for the slowest person. I almost always leave early, having completed and checked over my exam.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭izzyflusky

The exam also tests your time management skills in a pressure situation i.e. the time is also specifically organised to test your ability relative to each subject. However, I do feel that french is being allocated too much time! I was finished a good 5-7 minutes before the ending which gave me plenty of time to go over and correct the whole paper twice! Thus, I dont see how you can be finished early if you have answered every question properly and fully. It infuriates me when I see these guys who leave the exam hall a good hour before the designated time! And I can guarantee you that it will be them who will be complaining when the results come out!:mad:

ok I'm glad I got that outta my system!

The only test i´ve left EXTREMELY early so far is biology, an hour early. The rest of them was half an hour the most.
    I already kno i´m not good i´m managin time durin tests. But I dnt tink i will be complainin afterwards about my results because of that. Its never happen before..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 pilchard

i've not left an exam early, i dont see the point, i will only remember something the minute i leave anyway..... i will do an extra question if i have time left over. like in maths both papers i did all of the questions. in bioogy today i did finished about 20 mins early so i did another question especially as there were only 2 of us left.. didnt want to leave the other person on there own.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,179 ✭✭✭FunkZ

I've left early for French and Irish, that's it. I need more time for Maths, Geography and English, a lot more time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭cossyx

I haven't left any exam early yet, I feel better staying in there even if I'm doing nothing just incase I think of something..it'd kill me if I walked out early and thought of something then, for Irish Paper 1 I was the only one left the girl before me left like 20 mins before I did..But the way I see it is they give you the time because you should need it! Unless you're a very fast writer!!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭Selphie

I haven't left early for anything, and won't either for my last two. I prefer reading over and reading over and reading over until the words start blurring. I'd probably remember something the minute I left, so I think its safer not to. Although, come to think of it, I've been writing till the end for most of them anyway.Even today in French, I took my time and wrote everything out rough before copying it in, and I finished at 11.50, then read over everything.
    Its annoying when people leave, people in my school seem to make so much noise. A girl today left half an hour after the start of bio - wtf like??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Nehpets

I timed English perfectly but by accident :D So didn't need to leave early. Left pass Irish early and left bio about 20 mins before the end even though I could have worked a bit faster and finished within an hour and a half

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

I usually leave early. French today, did six essays(you only need to do 3) and the comps and was out at 11.40 having read over it twice. They way I operate is WRITE=>READ=>READ=>OUT=>FORGET IT EVER HAPPENED

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

Left French half an hour early, and Maths Paper one an hour early. (Pass...and questions don't take long). Maths paper 2- half an hour early. That said, English both papers, Irish both papers, Geography and Biology, I didn't leave until time.

Can't expect people who do foundation and pass to stay until time, it doesn't bother me.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭qz

I've done 9 papers and haven't left a single one early, even to go to the bathroom, I just feel it messes with your concentration.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭genericgoon

If I have done an extra question and have read over my work say twice I will leave. Doing too many questions would probably just piss off a corrector. Also I have a bad habit of indecisiveness when Im rereading my answers where my answer will alternate between one answer to another in my head. I then make a pigs ear of the paper when I scriblle out an answer and then scribble out the second answer and so on.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭md99

can't understand it at all... but then again I usually write way too much in everything, so it takes me a longer time... also I probably go over things more during the exam... haven't left early in any exam, in fact it's probably safe to say I've left late in every single one... our supervisor, in his last year on the job, is laid back beyond all description... wonderful man :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Citizen_Erased

Left my pass Irish paper one after 40 mins and drove to our local park until the tape test started :p But yeah sure some people work faster than others , it's been said already and thats all there is to it .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭genericgoon

Also all these ppl who did 6 french essays WTF. That will probably antagonise the corrector . im sure thats the last thing they want when theyre correcting hundreds of these papers

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Eddie Ere

Some subjects are grossly over-timed; pass Biology for example and Irish pass paper 1 and 2.

An extra half hour needed in Geography, English and probably Business tomorrow would be nice..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭md99

Eddie Ere wrote:
    Some subjects are grossly over-timed; pass Biology for example and Irish pass paper 1 and 2.

totally agree... 2+ hours for Irish Pass is hilarious..... I was the only one left after Paper I (I refuse to leave early), when the time was up my supervisor said 'Ordinary level Students must now finish... I'm sorry, Ordinary Level Student must now finish..'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭Seinas

eh ive left every single exam at least an hour early....... both paper 1 of maths and paper 2 of irish i left an hour and 40mins early, i dont see why some of the papers have such a long time on them :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Eddie Ere

md99 wrote:
    totally agree... 2+ hours for Irish Pass is hilarious..... I was the only one left after Paper I (I refuse to leave early), when the time was up my supervisor said 'Ordinary level Students must now finish... I'm sorry, Ordinary Level Student'

The cheeky c*nt :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Haven't a Clue

I've left early in all the exams bar English and Irish paper 2. I don't leave early by much like, just by 20/15 mins or so. Although, I left 30 mins early today in French.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 -blondie-

In all of them so far except english I'v left a few mihnutes early. I look over it and everything! But for history tomorrow Ill be in there till the last writing every second!

Theres a girl in my exam hall who sits there and leaves EVERY exam the second the half an hour mark is over! In maths-both papers-she didnt even bother to write anything! I mean whats the point??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭Jay112

-blondie- wrote:
    In all of them so far except english I'v left a few mihnutes early. I look over it and everything! But for history tomorrow Ill be in there till the last writing every second!

Theres a girl in my exam hall who sits there and leaves EVERY exam the second the half an hour mark is over! In maths-both papers-she didnt even bother to write anything! I mean whats the point??

Just to say she sat the leaving! Pointless i know same in my school a guy wrote 3 lines for his english paper and left 1/2 hour in!

Advertisement