Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving the hall early

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,469 ✭✭✭✭cson

Timing hasn't been an issue with me at all. Although I suspect it'll be tougher tomorrow in Business. Probably gonna have to get the finger out pretty quickly in there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Haven't a Clue

Yeah, Business is really as tough if not tougher than English Paper 2 for time management. My plan is to get the short questions done pretty nifty to leave a bit more time for the ABQ and the long questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Dean-16

i have left early every single exam, left over an hour early in geo, confident i did well though!

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭lemansky

I leave pretty much at the end of the exam.There are a few guys in my centre though, who get the question paper,read out,write a few things in their answer booklets,then seal it and wait until the first half hour is up.Then they leave.Everyone to their own I suppose.The supervisor just laughs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭genericgoon

Aye but they are the ppl who can keep the marking scheme from being revised upwards in severity. So you should be thanking them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭lemansky

Aye but they are the ppl who can keep the marking scheme from being revised upwards in severity. So you should be thanking them.
    :D
    True.I sit by the door so I may add a thank you next time one of them leaves.One of the guys said that in physics he's just going to draw a graph,then walk out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

We have been waiting for these exams for 13 or 14 years.
    It would be in everyones interest to stay till the end.
    I finished maths paper 1 and two before the time but I didn't leave.
    Go over your answers or sit idle, just don't leave because at the end of the day you are entitled to the time alloted and the time spent is proportional to the amount of marks you receive.

DONT LEAVE THE HALL EARLY:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Nehpets

I agree. Don't leave the hall early, ever. Whats the point? So what if you are finished and have checked the answers and cannot do anymore. Sit there and look at the wall. Why? Because you have the opportunity to do so, that's why.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

That's a bit stupid though. The Pass maths timing of paper 1 is half an hour a question. So if you have 20 minutes per question, you've looked over, checked everything, corrected mistakes...but you should still stay there instead of cramming for Irish paper 1?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭whatshername!!

Iv only left french early and thats only coz i wanted to learn over my biology which i thought is more important than sitting their staring at the wall. I havent had time to leave anything else early.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭genericgoon

Could time staring time not be allocated to a useful activity like studying for your next exam?

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭kisaragi

I haven't left any exams early... I'm working till the end in most of them anyway. If I do finish early then I read my paper again. I've never had more time than just enough to read over everything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭Selphie

Can't expect people who do foundation and pass to stay until time, it doesn't bother me.

That's true. And I guess its much better than the Pres where everybody was made to stay in till the end. Everyone who was finished got really bored, and started sighing, or scraping their chairs, or meticulously sharpening all of their pencils or coughing, or talking, or like a billion other things. So frickin annoying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

When I did mine LC I left a few exams early so I could go home and have more time to study for the one in the evening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭euwwy deuwwy

The only exam I left early was ordinary french with about 15 mins to go. I'm actually a pretty un organised writer nd my exams are usually all ova the place so I just take my time. It never really bothers me when I see people leave early, suppose everyones different though. The only thing that distracts me is when the tea girl comes in. Wowwwwwww! I love my exam hall!:D :D:D:D

My timing so far;

English 1: 20 mins left
    English 2: 10 mins left

Maths 1: 1.5 Hours left
    Irish 1: 30 mins left

Irish 2: 25 mins left
    Maths 2: 1 hour left

French: 1 hour left
    Business: 5 mins left

• Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Lucas10101

There wasn't really much point leaving 5 mins before?? At least check grammer for 4.5 minutes :)

No, the business and english 2 ones I stayed until the end

• Closed Accounts Posts: 966 ✭✭✭GerryRyan

Irish Paper 2 (OL) is the exception thought. Only 18% at the end of the day, plus they give away the marks. Done and dusted within an hour ... no regrets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Haven't a Clue

Haha, nobody in our school left history early. Not even the ordinary level ones!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 123444444

You must be in a school of retards

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭nedward

Nice articulation there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭Tomlowe

The exam also tests your time management skills in a pressure situation i.e. the time is also specifically organised to test your ability relative to each subject. However, I do feel that french is being allocated too much time! I was finished a good 5-7 minutes before the ending which gave me plenty of time to go over and correct the whole paper twice! Thus, I dont see how you can be finished early if you have answered every question properly and fully. It infuriates me when I see these guys who leave the exam hall a good hour before the designated time! And I can guarantee you that it will be them who will be complaining when the results come out!:mad:

ok I'm glad I got that outta my system!

you're an idiot

Tomlowe wrote:
    you're an idiot

I think you could learn a thing or two from my business book;

1: Quote from the post
    2: Name your point
    3: Explain your point

It's quite ignorant to call someone an 'idiot' with substantiating your claim or at least providing a basis for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Enemy Of Fate

I don't see how anyone can leave early.I've needed all the time I could get in pretty much all of my exams so far.I mean I can understand leaving early in the JC (left ever exam early.Was actually only in the HE exam for 15 minutes) but dammit these are real exams!Unlike the JC they actually matter.So you should all stay to the end dammit!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭Tomlowe

ok cson

"the time is also specifically organised to test your ability relative to each subject."

That doesnt even make any sense, how can it be "specifically" tailored to the thousands of people taking each exam, with their varying aptitudes and writing speeds?

"Thus, I dont see how you can be finished early if you have answered every question properly and fully."

This followed on from a description of an individual experience of an exam. The word "thus" implies "as a necessary result of the thing i just said." There's no way you can get a general statement like that thats supposed to apply to tens of thousands of people from individual experience. Furthermore, the arrogance of the phrase "properly and fully" can only piss off people who have left higher level exams early with close to 100% (and they do exist.)

"It infuriates me when I see these guys who leave the exam hall a good hour before the designated time!"

Again, arrogance: I know how long these guys should be taking, and they're not following my rules!

"And I can guarantee you that it will be them who will be complaining when the results come out!"

In case we weren't certain just how smart analyse this actually is.

The way i see it, exams have to be tailored to near enough the lowest common denominator in terms of speed in getting the stuff onto the paper. It only makes sense that those who are quicker should finish earlier... the all-knowing indignance of analyse this's post, when in fact s/he was completely wrong, pissed me off no end

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Nehpets

That was a good explanation

Tomlowe wrote:
    ok cson

"the time is also specifically organised to test your ability relative to each subject."

That doesnt even make any sense, how can it be "specifically" tailored to the thousands of people taking each exam, with their varying aptitudes and writing speeds?

"Thus, I dont see how you can be finished early if you have answered every question properly and fully."

This followed on from a description of an individual experience of an exam. The word "thus" implies "as a necessary result of the thing i just said." There's no way you can get a general statement like that thats supposed to apply to tens of thousands of people from individual experience. Furthermore, the arrogance of the phrase "properly and fully" can only piss off people who have left higher level exams early with close to 100% (and they do exist.)

"It infuriates me when I see these guys who leave the exam hall a good hour before the designated time!"

Again, arrogance: I know how long these guys should be taking, and they're not following my rules!

"And I can guarantee you that it will be them who will be complaining when the results come out!"

In case we weren't certain just how smart analyse this actually is.

The way i see it, exams have to be tailored to near enough the lowest common denominator in terms of speed in getting the stuff onto the paper. It only makes sense that those who are quicker should finish earlier... the all-knowing indignance of analyse this's post, when in fact s/he was completely wrong, pissed me off no end

Excellent ;)

You've provided solid evidence for your idiot claim and evidence that is indeed very persuasive and would lead me to believe you were correct in the first instance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭carlowboy

They don't let you leave early in my school. The principal puts you in a room on your own and makes sure everyone else has left before you can leave

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭whatshername!!

Our school said they would do that but when i left early one of the teachers told me i was to go to a room and study but i just ignored her and walked out of the school and they didnt come after me or say anything to me when i came back later that day

Advertisement