Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wimbledon 2007

Options
  • 12-06-2007 6:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭

Following on from Roland Garros, it'll only be a few short weeks until we're at Wimbledon! Betfair have a market up for the overall winner and unsurprisingly, Federer is the easy favourite. If you ask me, 1.49 to back Federer is waaayyyy too low given that . . .

1. His form has been diabolical
    2. He simply has not looked fit in recent weeks, it was especially telling at Roland Garros when he looked jaded in the 3rd and 4th sets.

I'm going to lay Federer at 1.5 for €20.

My next couple of plays will be some long-shots who I hope will progress to the latter stages . . .

Backing Andy Murray at 60 for €5. He's on homeground (well, close enough) and the British will be dying for their boy to deliver. Like a Greek tragi-comedy, he'll come close to winning but not quite close enough. Most definitely, he's value at 60.

Backing Mario Ancic at 350 for €5. He may have had a lot of injuries but I think 350 is a fine price for a player that has a fair bit of skill on the grass. I just hope that he actually makes it to Wimbledon!

Backing Richard Gasquet at 250 for €5. He's just crashed out in the first round of a warm-up tournament against a non-entity from Pakistan. That doesn't deterr me though. He's a fine player and I think that he'll kick start his season at Wimbledon.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

I am looking at Gasquet and maybe Mathieu. I have Mathieu at ridiculous prices for the Stella and his quarter looks fairly open. Would agree with the Federer lay alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Mezcita

Following on from Roland Garros, it'll only be a few short weeks until we're at Wimbledon! Betfair have a market up for the overall winner and unsurprisingly, Federer is the easy favourite. If you ask me, 1.49 to back Federer is waaayyyy too low given that . . .

1. His form has been diabolical
    2. He simply has not looked fit in recent weeks, it was especially telling at Roland Garros when he looked jaded in the 3rd and 4th sets.

I'm going to lay Federer at 1.5 for €20.

My next couple of plays will be some long-shots who I hope will progress to the latter stages . . .

Backing Andy Murray at 60 for €5. He's on homeground (well, close enough) and the British will be dying for their boy to deliver. Like a Greek tragi-comedy, he'll come close to winning but not quite close enough. Most definitely, he's value at 60.

Backing Mario Ancic at 350 for €5. He may have had a lot of injuries but I think 350 is a fine price for a player that has a fair bit of skill on the grass. I just hope that he actually makes it to Wimbledon!

Backing Richard Gasquet at 250 for €5. He's just crashed out in the first round of a warm-up tournament against a non-entity from Pakistan. That doesn't deterr me though. He's a fine player and I think that he'll kick start his season at Wimbledon.

Interesting stuff lads.

I'd agree that Federer at 1.5 is too low. However, I wouldn't say that his form is diabolical. Lets not forget that he did get to the final in Paris. Players who are playing badly get beaten by nobodys in the first round.

I've got a feeling Murray won't play. He said on Sky Sports this evening that he is going to give it another few days before he decides. Given the nature of the injury, I'd be surprised if he risked making it worse by coming back too early.

I'll have a look at the odds closer to the start.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Federer's odds have moved into 1.47 now. That's an insane price to back him at in my opinion.

I'd say we have a better than 50-50 chance of seeing Murray make the tournament. He won't want to miss Wimbledon for the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Didn't do too badly, Ancic and Murray didn't make it to the tourney so I dodged a bullet on those two.

Gasquet made it to the semi's (by which time I was able to lay off for my original stake).

Nadal made it to the finals so I got to lay off to get my original stake back.

Advertisement