Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maths - Paper I or II Harder?

Options
  • 12-06-2007 6:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭

Which of the two was the more difficult in your opinion?......

And no 'neither, both were piss' kinda answers from the mathletes please..:o

I think Paper II was easier, which I was extremely surprised with, I mean in terms of a's and b's ......it was delightful if you ask me. Some of the c's were much more difficult, but Tan-1x for Q8..... !!!!!!! What a sweet finish. Also, the theorems on Paper II were an easy 40 marks between Trig and Probability... I was disappointed there were none at all on Paper I, and no induction save for that crap in Q4 after I learned nearly every type of induction off! aghh... HATED the integration question, and Q4. also i HATED complex numbers... not because it was hard, because i f**ked up on part b of all parts and got the answer as 0. don't ask me how...

I think Paper I had 2 easy Diff, an easy Q5 and Q1/2...
    Paper II had two easy Trig and two easy Probability AND that lovely Q8 to boot... so my votes with I

Harder Paper, I or II? 19 votes

Paper I
    0% 0 votes
    Paper II
    100% 19 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭cocoa

I didn't really have any major problems with either paper (I did eight questions in each) but paper 2 took me longer and I made more silly mistakes so I rated it as harder, but maybe I was just tired/complacent or something :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

ya paper II was easier...at least i know i passed now :D
    but i am completely kicking myself over the option question...the integration by parts...it was probably the easiest part (c) EVER....and i completely blanked!!!! after my geography exam,on the way home in the car,i suddenly remembered (out of nowhere) how to do it.....UUGH >:( its gonna haunt me forever :(
    but ya probability was fine
    vectors were grand.
    the line was (mostly ) okay
    trig was a bit dodgy but i got okay marks.
    the option was my worst...i couldnt do part (a) didnt have a clue! and of course i blanked (c) aswell...but overall i was happy enough.
    still just about on course for a C2,which i got in my pre

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

They were both of equal difficulty really, paper 2 left more room for error and I had a bad day so....

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Enemy Of Fate

Well I don't see how ANYONE could say that the OL Paper 2 was easier than Paper 1.....so I'm gonna say Paper 2 was much, MUCH harder than paper 1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 279 ✭✭adam_ccfc

Not sure, tbh! I thought initially that Paper 2 was slightly more difficult, but I'd say much of a muchness in hindsight. Overall, I was pleased, I thought it was a relatively easy paper.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,389 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

I think Paper 2 was harder, based on my estimates that I didnt get as many marks on it. I always found that paper more difficult anyway, but this was easy enough in relation to others.

• Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭sternn

Paper 2 by far...partly because I didn't know half of the stuff...and not understanding it fully.

Estimates:

Paper 1: 80%
    Paper 2: 60%

Which makes 70% overall (on my estimation) which I would be happy with (only need a C3 for my course)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭cossyx

Thought paper 2 was that bit easier than paper 1, feel I did better in it anyway..:D

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭lemansky

I found that if you were going for a b or a c grade,the papers were equal, but the c parts in paper 2 were harder than in paper 1 so if you were going for an a and they therefore mattered big time to you, paper 2 was harder to do well in....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

lemansky wrote:
    I found that if you were going for a b or a c grade,the papers were equal, but the c parts in paper 2 were harder than in paper 1 so if you were going for an a and they therefore mattered big time to you, paper 2 was harder to do well in....
    QFT.

I think I got 100% in (a) and (b) parts in paper one, and between 95 and 100% in paper two.

As for the part (c)s, well in paper one I got about 80% in em and about 70% in paper two.

Besides 6(c), the part (c)s in paper one were fairly predictible, however, the part (c)s in paper two were more different than usual.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭genericgoon

paper 2 was harder but thats mainly because i prefer teh paper one topics

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

Paper one(Ordinary) was piss in comparison to paper two which was still very manageable overall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭mateo

OL Paper 2 was easier than OL Paper 1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭colm-ccfc84

Voted p1.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭genericgoon

Also ppl, we dont need to care anymore. MATHS IS FINISHED ,NO MORE LC MATHS YAY! (unless you failed and have to repeat or are doing a maths heavy subject in uni, although u probably like maths if your doing a course like that) One more exam to go :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Haven't a Clue

Yeah, I found ordinary paper two handier than paper one. Not as though paper 1 was a bitch of a paper like, but I thought everything that might've been awkward for paper 2 didn't come up. And I didn't depend on linear programming.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Nehpets

4 for me

Advertisement