Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mailbox quota exeeded - UPC

Options
  • 12-06-2007 7:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13

The search function is not working for me, so apologies if this is discussed elsewhere.

Ever since my e-mail address changed to (name)@upcmail.ie, I keep getting mails from "Admin" that I have exceeded my mailbox quota/my mailbox is over the high water mark, and I should delete mails to get more space.

I have deleted at least half the mails I originally had, but still the mails keep on coming.

Anybody else have this problem. It's annoying enough to make me want to change service provider. :mad:

Cheers,
    Soren

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

DanishGuy wrote:
    The search function is not working for me, so apologies if this is discussed elsewhere.

Ever since my e-mail address changed to (name)@upcmail.ie, I keep getting mails from "Admin" that I have exceeded my mailbox quota/my mailbox is over the high water mark, and I should delete mails to get more space.

I have deleted at least half the mails I originally had, but still the mails keep on coming.

Anybody else have this problem. It's annoying enough to make me want to change service provider. :mad:

Cheers,
    Soren

They seem to be endlessly inventive at coming up with new ways to annoy customers:rolleyes: Do you get lots and lots of mail can I ask or are you a 'typical' user? Have they given any idea of what the email quotas are to anyone yet? Has anyone optimistically emailed them and asked them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 DanishGuy

dub45 wrote:
    They seem to be endlessly inventive at coming up with new ways to annoy customers:rolleyes: Do you get lots and lots of mail can I ask or are you a 'typical' user? Have they given any idea of what the email quotas are to anyone yet? Has anyone optimistically emailed them and asked them?

I get about 30-40 mails pr. day (I work from home), but nothing mad. This is what they tell me:

A message was sent to you that was returned to the sender(bounced)
    because it would have caused your mailbox quota to be exceeded.

The following is the reason that the message was over quota:

Quota Type: total bytes stored
    Quota Available: 3299938
    Total Quota: 10485760

Now, to me, that is only like 10MB or so of storage space!?! Madness! :eek:

I have e-mailed them, of course, but would expect a better reply from a trained monkey...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

10mb is probably typical. most pop providers only supply that much or LESS.
    you would not need to change providers for internet, just email.

You could ask them to set up a forwarder and have all mail sent to a gmail account (almost 2gb and counting).
    Or just switch to them for mail.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭pizzahead77

Saruman wrote:
    (almost 2gb and counting).

That should be almost 3GB (2.8GB) and counting :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

jawsus

Bt ( iol) only throw a gentle strop at 100mb of mail . 10mb is 5 photos nowadays FFS . Since I started using gmail I just tell everyone to bang away with teh email and no worries .

Maybe they are intent on becoming a narrowband service again where 10mb is a lot.

If every UPC customer has an email addy and 10mb of storage, and they have 40000 odd customers including chorus that then means The UPC mail server only has 400gb of storage which is pretty damn pathetic with 300gb scsi drives being the norm nowadays .

They probably have a raid 5 with 3 x 300gb hard drives , a whopping €5000 worth of mail server for all their customers.

Pathetic cheapskates.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Did NTL ever challenge anyone over email quotas?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Trapped

It seems that NTL/UPC customers still only get the same 10MB mailboxes that we got in 2001, and no sign that they're planning on changing that. "chello" customers ( the UPC brand for the rest of Europe ) seem to get 30 - 100MB mailboxes, which isn't that great but a bit more useable.

Personally, I'd suggest that you create a gmail account, then login to NTL's Webmail ( link from the top of http://www.ntlworld.ie/ ), click Settings, Forwarding, enter your Gmail address and click 'forward, then discard'. No more over quota issues :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Trapped

dub45 wrote:
    Did NTL ever challenge anyone over email quotas?

Hmm, there's no challenge to make. It's a hard 10MB quota - any mails that would put you over that quota are just bounced back to the sender.

And.... the 10MB includes the contents of your /Spam folder which you don't see unless you login via Webmail, making it even easier to be 'over quota'.

Advertisement