Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General: Cancer Support Groups

Options
  • 12-06-2007 7:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭

Apologies if this is the wrong forum for posting this maby it should be in personal issues.

As some of you may know from the Christianity forum, my uncle has terminal cancer and is in a hospice. He has a wife and 4 children aged 18 and under. The whole issue got me thinking. I know that there are cancer support groups for suffers and those in remission who have gone through the unfortunate ravages of the disease, but what about general family members (eg, sons, daughters, sisters etc.)? Are there any support groups available out there for those who have helped a loved one through it or were bereaved through the loss of a loved one in these particular circumstances?

If not, i think it would be a great idea and i would like to set one up in West Cork (as where i live has a high rate of cancer). I have lost 2 granduncles to liver cancer and one uncle to leukaemia and a good friend to stomach cancer 3 years ago. I feel from the experiences of my family and neighbours at home that they need an outlet to talk about things, to share common feelings and offer their support to one another. Relatives and friends may sometimes feel that they don't have a right to be affected by the situation as after all the person diagnosed is enduring the physical suffering and trauma of the disease. They often feel in an awkward postiion and feel like they have nowhere to turn to vent their feelings or views.

What are your obs on this idea (good, bad or otherwise!)?

Kind regards,
    Mrs. M

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭CathyMoran

Hi,

I was just at Lois Aobhinn, a cancer support group in Dublin - they help the family of those affected by cancer as well as cancer sufferers. I know that this is not much help for you but there is some help out there.

Cancer affects far more people than just the sufferer, I know that my husband got a great deal of support from boards (as did I), so support groups are a necessary crutch. My husband has not gone for any support but I do know some relatives of cancer sufferers who have done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Mrs. MacGyver

Thanks, i'll look into it as i live in Dublin during the week.

thanks agin for the advice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 funkyjoy77

My mother was diagnosed with Ovarian Cancer on the 31st June 1997. She lost the battle with the disease on the 10th March 2003. I was her full time carer and even though some times it was tough, sometimes it wasn't. The time I spent with my mother was the most rewarding of my life. I have never regretted it for one moment. The funny thing is, while I was her carer, she was looking after me.

I decided to start a blog about this as a kind of tribute to her..I hope you will pay it a passing glance.

www.soyourmomsgotcancer.blogspot.com

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Sorry for jumping in here, but I am hoping someone could offer their opinion.
    I am currently caring for my husband, he was diagnosed with terminal cancer this year. I never get an opportunity to speak to his consultant alone. My husband is is in denial and does not like to discuss the negatives, understandably. My question is, would it be ok for me to email the consultant with some questions? I am not sure if the consultant would appreciate the same. But I have to know certain things, and I jsut cannot get an opp to speak to him alone. Any advice appreciated.

Advertisement