Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Antec 900...

Options
  • 12-06-2007 7:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭

Lol....

Ok long story short... Woke up today around 6pm ready for work at 8pm my ddog comes in and im like well and give him a pat on the head... I walk out of the room and then hear an almighty crash :O Can you guess what happens next?

I looking into the room and my 2 and a half grand pc is upside on the floor with the top panel with the buttons is hanging off and the side panel is off...

It fell 3ft of the desk straight onto the floor :O

I check the monitor and its still working so its ok :P Try a game and its still fine so everything is ok..

I just now need a new case cause the on button on it is totally fooked! Hopefully will order that tomorrow!

I might not bother going into the pc to turn it on... I afraid the screwdriver trick wont work on this pc :P

So now I need a new case or ill just buy the Antec again... Most likely will but said id ask 1st is there any similar case's to the antec? Side window, good cooling, blue leds and black in color?

I like the Zalman professional one but its a bit too expensive...

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

I'd be a bit weary about the hard disk(s) - it may seem ok now but such shock could have shortened its life significantly. Well that's what I've heard before - may be bollocks though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

sorry to hear that man , swapping cases is a pain in the arse....:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

Ah I dont mind swapping... gives me an excuse to buy some new things :P

Just need to decide on a case

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

haha, something relative to this happened to me before - no problems with the pc though.

what happened was my foot somehow got tangled in my headset cable.. i went to walk off, there was a bit of slack to the cable so i didnt notice... next thing *SMACK*

the thing fell over, not relativly high at all, but it fell onto its side pretty much... the thing that surprised me most was it kept running.. it went smack onto its side, the power cable stayed in, everything was fine.. it was still running perfect..

ofc i nearly had a heart attack.. but i just straightned it up again and was all like 'cool hehe :D '

and a friend of mine has what you'd call the guts of a case, uses two cables for the power button to start it :D its ownage for lans. funny to say the least

sucks that you have to swap case.. any pics of the remains? is it badly broken like?

i'd say go for another 900, probably your best bet if you actually like that case and want one like it..

Thats exactly same with me only my dog got caught in the cables... lol

Everything stayed on aswell..

The case is fine other than the top of the case is all off and the on button is totally screwed.. so I might aswell go for another one.. I can salvage 2 fans from it to put in the new one so its not to bad!

If I can be bothered ill post up pictures... lol

Im on the computer in work now :D

• Advertisement

and im still awake.. and on my own rig :) .. what kind of a fúcking moron am i :D anyway

atleast its only a case sure (and not that expensive of one either..)

and im still awake.. and on my own rig :) .. what kind of a fúcking moron am i :D anyway

atleast its only a case sure (and not that expensive of one either..)

Were owls haha.

Yea ive to fork out 120 euro now today for a new case.. Im tempted to get another 2 gigs of ram cause its REALLY cheap now.. A fan controller... A new cpu cooler cause the the 9500 is not that great I dont think... and a new hard drive... :rolleyes: God I waste too much money :( well technically its not wasted lol

unless you're using vista or 64bit OS i doubt XP will see above 3.5gb of ram.. some flaw or something but its handy to have the ram for future anyway, especially with prices so cheap.

tuniq tower 120 is a very good HSF, another good one i've seen recently is the ThermalRight Ultra 120:
    http://www.anandtech.com/casecooling/showdoc.aspx?i=2981&p=3

Yea thats were im stumped... I should have added that... Vista 64bit or XP 64bit?

XP is better Vista is the future.. Personally I want to go with the xp but ill end up spending more on vista when crysis and other directx 10 games come out!

The ram is 170 I bought it 1st it was 240 hence the wanting to buy it :D

personally i wouldnt even go near vista to throw it in a fire for some heat on a cold winter morning if i was stuck in a woods and.. you get the picture..

atleast not until its seriously debuggified, and i need to use it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Deaf, told you ages ago the 9500 is not that great. Buy yourself a Tuniq tower or the oh so ever great Thermalright Ultra 120 extreme.

And my rule of thumb: tower case => floor

Also, if you are letting that antec go for cheap, put me on the list.

EDIT: Sorry challengemaster, ya beat me to the HSF. Oh, and stay away from vista 64 bit unless you really need to run 64 bit apps, which being a gamer u dont!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

personally i wouldnt even go near vista to throw it in a fire for some heat on a cold winter morning if i was stuck in a woods and.. you get the picture..

atleast not until its seriously debuggified, and i need to use it.

So you dont own vista or use it, how do you know how buggy it is? Just from people crying about it on forums and various websites? I have it installed on all of my pc's and 2 laptops. ITs fantastic, so easy to network nice looking and easy to use. ipv6 built in as standard... The list goes on. Yes there are bugs, but all software has them. Apart from the simplelest of software. Yes it isnt as good for gaming performance granted, but that is on the to-do list.

So you dont own vista or use it, how do you know how buggy it is? blah blah blah isnt microsoft great...

nah im joking with ye anti :D dont make me break out the teamspeak recording though...

anyway, i dont want to own vista.. until i absolutly need to, and with what appears to be DX10 running perfectly on XP being developed, i might not even need to..

could argue that Linux still owns the **** out of vista, especially with beryl > Aero or whatever that thing is vista uses..and THE LIST GOES ON!!!!!!!1 until the cows come home...

people have opinions, end of story really.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

I'm in the same boat. I have a spare copy of XP for my new build, so while I was tempted to fork out for Vista, I'm happier to wait until I have to change.

Its also fairly expensive too.

@CM, Dont make me get out the karate suit pics ;)

Antec 900 on the floor (carpet) = hoover :D

Ive moved all my room around now so when the case is on the desk its against a wall so theres no chance of it falling off..

It use to be like this... Not very good I know

http://file026a.bebo.com/3/large/2007/06/05/21/2482852307a4598648676b48126877l.jpg

As for the case... Im not getting rid of it... Going keep it and strip it try and sort out the power button fix it some haggard way and use it for a pc im building my mother lol

I ordered a new case this morning :P

What about 64bit XP Is that anygood for games? I would really like to get the ram cause its sooo cheap!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

beryl is cack, that is all. It ruins what is otherwise a smooth running and sophisticated OS.

Also for a new HS, go with Dirk and get a TR 120-extreme, or a TR IFX-14. The Tuniq is behind these other coolers for performance. Oh and I think the dog did you a favour, gives you an excuse to get rid of that horrible 9500.

For a case suggestion... hmm, well on my shortlist when I was looking for a case was the Antec P180, Antec 900 and the CM Stacker 830.

If you have the money and the space, i'd recommend the Stacker 830 hands down. I ended up with the P180 because I prefer extra silence over extra performance.

Right I was wondering im not sure if its possible ill find out when I get the new case can I take out the fans from the old antec 120mm ones and put it in the thermalright cooler? so that way its blue and it matches everything else?

I need stuff matching or its just wrong :rolleyes:

IT should work no probs

• Registered Users Posts: 8,020 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

dont make me break out the teamspeak recording though...

Ah go on... :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

Anti wrote:
    Its also fairly expensive too.

anti you taking pictures of cm ?:confused:

Anti wrote:

Don't force me to get viri... :D:D:D

but the wetsuit pics are better :)

anyway, i dont want to own vista.. until i absolutly need to, and with what appears to be DX10 running perfectly on XP being developed, i might not even need to..

dx10 IS NOT comming to Xp , without it emulating about 60% of vista , vista architecture is far superior to xp , Vista is the only os that will run dx10 , anything else will only emulate most of vista , which would = giant preformance loss
    could argue that Linux still owns the **** out of vista, especially with beryl > Aero or whatever that thing is vista uses..and THE LIST GOES ON!!!!!!!1 until the cows come home...

i know people who went linux and came straight back , 2 have now one vista , the reason? anything can be gotten for free , linux is only really needed if your coding ect....its to much trouble getting games to work with linux , it really isnt all its cracked up to be :P

papu wrote:
    i know people who went linux and came straight back , 2 have now one vista , the reason?

The reason is they're too used to things being handed to them on a nice gui and not having to do any work/learning, basically. It really depends what you're doing with the pc, and what you want out of it. that will determine if your opinion of what an os is cracked up to be, is really so.

he reason is they're too used to things being handed to them on a nice gui

haha no... one was a long time linux user , who started gaming ....then switched

a nice gui is great but if it dosent do anything its like a nice car with no engine :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭shanethemofo

DeafVision. if youre gonna be building ur mother a pc i could part exchange my more appropriate "mother type" case and money for your 900? desperately need a new case :(

It comes with no fans or anything.. Top is broken off, on button doesn't work Not sure if I can find the screws and stuff..

Do you have a credit card? If you could buy me something off overclockers(ill pay) ill give you the case for free even though the case is not worth it lol

I cant buy off overclockers with a 3v card :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Timans

You can DeafVision afaik. a 3v card is just a Visa number afterall.

Yea I bought my cpu and mobo off it... but now my 3v card has gone over the limit for the year and I had to use a friends one.. I used his billing address and my delivery address..

Got an email asking to verify this.. I cant do it.. so I either renew my 3v card which I really should or just not order of overclockers... They have the best selection imo

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭shanethemofo

hardwareversand?

Advertisement