Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ideas Political buildings

Options
  • 12-06-2007 9:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭

Ideas for Dublin.

All green covered doms should be painted gold and all British symbols removed completely or replaced with proper Irish ones. Like in Paris.

Palais_Garnier_bordercropped.jpg

The Dail and Seanead should be moved out of leinster house and the entire building should be the official residence for the Taoiseach.

We need a capital hill style building in the Phoenix Park with Dail on one half of the building and the Seanead on the other. Thats what the park is designed for and should be used properly.

capitol1.JPG

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,423 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Maskhadov wrote:
    All green covered doms should be painted gold and all British symbols removed completely or replaced with proper Irish ones. [/IMG]
    How are the gold shares doing these days? :D

The Phoenix Park was designed as a park, not for a parliament.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭DadaKopf

Going on your first picture, all Dáil proceedings must be sung in Opera-style with full classical orchestra.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Maskhadov

its gold paint Victor. just looks better than the manky green all over the city.

The park isnt properly used. It resembles a country field with cattle and sheep walking across it. A complete redevelopment is needed for the park with the new parliament in the middle. People could still use the park.

Couldnt find a picture with the gold on the tops of buildings so i got one as close as possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

You know the White House was originally designed based on Leinster House...

Didnt know that. But the fact that our ENTIRE TD's sit in this tiny building is a disgrace in 21st century ireland. Bill Clinton laughed his side off when he was going into the building, he thought it was a residence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

Maskhadov wrote:
    Didnt know that. But the fact that our ENTIRE TD's sit in this tiny building is a disgrace in 21st century ireland. Bill Clinton laughed his side off when he was going into the building, he thought it was a residence.

I think their egos are big enough as they are.
    Giving them a massive vanity project building to squat in as well as paying them some of the highest wages for politicians in Europe may send them some of them over the edge into Great Dictator territory.

Oh, Bertie is building a residence for himself in the park. http://www.archiseek.com/content/showthread.php?t=4545

idiots. Why cant they do anything properly in this country. Most european capitals have a major park and use it properly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Heinrich

This sort of building could easily house 166 semi-redundant TDs and all the advisors, spin merchants and smoke blowers. Tourists could stroll around in awe at the beauty and calm of the magnificent treasure.

;) The old buildings could be put at the disposition of the current residents of Dunsink Lane in lieu of the 20 million euros they need for rehousing.:D

gp_palace1.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

DadaKopf wrote:
    Going on your first picture, all Dáil proceedings must be sung in Opera-style with full classical orchestra.

it would certainly be more productive than what goes on there now.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Maskhadov wrote:
    its gold paint Victor. just looks better than the manky green all over the city.
    I'm pretty sure it's actually gold leaf - tissue-thin sheets of gold covering a metal base such as the "manky green" copper roofs that are already there. Gold paint wouldn't last very long.

gold leaf is it ? well it looks great !!! thanks for the enlightened post:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

I agree with the OP
    I think that Ireland does need a new government house.

I know they want to expand on the existing site but it may be difficult to do so and accomodate parking aswell.

A new custom made facility in the phoenix park would be a good idea.
    Whether its the grandiose gold emboss of paris or something more modern like the Scottish assembly building
    Plus it would also help balance the 'north/south' imbalance in the city
    Apparently there was a time when the north side was the place to be!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

I like the green (isn't it from "rusted" bronze?) - it's different, I don't think it's manky and I don't see why we should tackify up the city with gold. I've even seen the green being used on new buildings around the city, actually, and I think it's something that has become very "Irelandesque" (although we're not the only country with green domes/rooves on buildings).

As for the "tiny" Oireachtas, isn't there more than enough space for the TD and Senators (as if they're ever all there at the same time)? Maybe Britain should blow up the Houses of Parliament, though, because whenever there's an important debate on there it's standing room only.

I'm kind of chuckling at the idea of the country not using the Phoenix Park "properly" because we're not building things in it, though - the OP seems horrified at the idea of wildlife in a park!

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Green roofs are (afaik) covered with sheets of copper. When it's brand new it's very pretty, as you'd expect from shiny copper; it quickly develops a brown patina, and over a period of years oxidises to the familiar green colour. I quite like it myself.

As to the OP, and the question of needing new government buildings: why?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

oscarBravo wrote:
    Green roofs are (afaik) covered with sheets of copper. When it's brand new it's very pretty, as you'd expect from shiny copper; it quickly develops a brown patina, and over a period of years oxidises to the familiar green colour. I quite like it myself.

As to the OP, and the question of needing new government buildings: why?

Yeah, think you're right - copper, not bronze.
    It's amazing to see new buildings use the colour from the start, though, given that it was an accident in the first place. I think it's just become part of the unique Dublin/Irish architecture and I'd hate to see it replaced - kind of like how I'd hate to see the bullet holes in the O'Connell statue and GPO filled in with polyfiller!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

or something more modern like the Scottish assembly building

But preferably not costing quite as much eh (EUR640million)?

http://www.scottish.parliament.uk/nmCentre/news/news-05/pa05-006.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Unpossible

something more modern like the Scottish assembly building
    No, I dont think that would be a good idea "modern" buildings get old very quickly (just look at some 80's buildings and try to remember how modern and new they used to be), in 20 years time we will look at it and think it looks tacky and dated. If they are building a new house of parliament then a more classic* look would be best imo

*edit; classic as in something like the first picture in this thread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

flogen wrote:
    Maybe Britain should blow up the Houses of Parliament, though, because whenever there's an important debate on there it's standing room only.

I think it's been tried before:D

The good thing about standing room only, is that it stops the buggers falling asleep!

How many tim a year is the Oireachtas actually used? I remember seeing somewhere that they were sent home several times last year because they had nothing to talk about:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Judt

I always find it amusing how many people mistake government buildings for the Dail, but never the less it's our style and it works. People laughed at the British for keeping a house of Parliament too small to hold all of its members and with them on opposing sides facing one another, but it works for them.

Keeping up with the Jones is not a good way to spend public money.

• Advertisement

Unpossible wrote:
    *edit; classic as in something like the first picture in this thread
    "Neo-classical". :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

I like the oxidized copper.

And I think its appropriate that its anglo, after all the Irish government completely copied the British model but stuck Irish nomenclature on it. ie Parliament=Dail.

Its O Connell street's showcase of violence that needs reform.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Unpossible

Victor wrote:
    "Neo-classical"
    Ok, I didn't know the correct term :) thanks
    I like the oxidized copper.
    yeah, it has a nice feel to it

Advertisement