Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thinking of commuting 6 miles each way by bike

Options
  • 12-06-2007 9:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭

I haven't cycled since I was 15 and got knocked off my bike and all broken up. Now, 11 years later, I've started to get a hankering for a bit of cycling.

I work 6 miles from home (not in the city centre) though 1 mile of that is quite a steep hill (it would be the last mile uphill on the way home). I would hope to cycle on fine days, and then just casually at the weekends.

So here are a few questions for you knowledgeable folks:
    1. Is 6 miles each way a doable commute for a girleen like me?
    2. How long do you think it would take for a person of average fitness?
    3. Any tips for what to look for in a bike? I would only be riding on roads, and wouldn't want to spend too much as I'd like to see how I get on with it over the summer months!

Thanks guys! Hope ya don't mind all the questions

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭ash h

Answers to your questions:
    1-yes
    2-about 30-45 mins it depends on the hill and whether your gonna push or not.
    3-id recommened a hybrid bike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭roadmanmad

Six miles will take 20-30 minutes or a little more depending on conditions.

Do not expect to be putting a fast time. Take it at your own pace. Gradually over time your fitness and pace will improve.

I suggest a bike with 26 inch wheels, comfortable saddle and 10 - 12 gears for the odd hill. Do not go for the thick mountain bike tyres. Also do not get a suspension bike. These two feature increase the work while cycling on a road.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

confuddled wrote:
    I haven't cycled since I was 15 and got knocked off my bike and all broken up. Now, 11 years later, I've started to get a hankering for a bit of cycling.

I work 6 miles from home (not in the city centre) though 1 mile of that is quite a steep hill (it would be the last mile uphill on the way home). I would hope to cycle on fine days, and then just casually at the weekends.

So here are a few questions for you knowledgeable folks:
    3. Any tips for what to look for in a bike? I would only be riding on roads, and wouldn't want to spend too much as I'd like to see how I get on with it over the summer months!

Thanks guys! Hope ya don't mind all the questions

1. 6 miles should not be too much but you should get some short spins in first before tackling the 6 each way to work. Build yourself up for it seen as it's so long since you were on a bike.

2. I do a comute which is approx 5.5 miles in about 15 - 20 min depending on the weather so I'd give yourself 30 - 35 min for the first run. You could try do the run on a day off and time yourself? Also give yourself some cooling down time when you arrive in work and make sure you get a water bottle as you'll need it.

3. As for a bike I'd recommend one of the following:

http://www.cyclesuperstore.ie/shop/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=39&idproduct=8583

My mate bought one a few months back for the same reason as yourself and was very happy with it. It's a good bike for the money and won't burn too big a hole in your pocket, in case you don't take too well to the cycling. It's got ideal commuting tyres and accessories like the mudguards and carrier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭confuddled

fantastic advice! thanks for all that - I think I'll definitely go for it. I drive to work in 10-15 minutes but it can take 20-25 on the way home thanks to traffic so it sounds like it'd be well worth it to get the exercise in too.

Will definitely take a few practise runs before I try it on a work day!

I'll take a trip out to Tallaght at the weekend and check out the bikes in that shop. Thanks all!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

Heya. I commute 7 miles to work.

It depends on your run, if its in town, call it 30-40 mins, if its going out of town it will be faster, possibly as low as 20. Realisticly, when you start, don't expect quicker than 30. But its certainly very possible even if you're unfit, so long as you're not in a rush!

Get a hybrid. Fit puncture proof tyres if you intend to use it regularly. You may want to consider lighting, a helmet, a lock and clothing/bags, depending on your circumstances which could easily add up to e100

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭ruprect

Six miles will take 20-30 minutes or a little more depending on conditions.
    I would think that is quite fast.
    I do 4.5miles, when I started I was totally unfit, took over 1 hour!
    Now I do it in about 20mins, and that is passing out probably 95% of people on the roads.

You have to take into account lights, traffic etc. I can get up to 35mph on my bike, but my average would be far lower. Going all out I could do the 4.5miles, with slight hill, in just over 15mins.

I would leave yourself at least an hour, or just do it at the weekend and time yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,132 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Borrow a bike from a friend to try it out in the beginning. If you have a car maybe put the bike in the boot and then cycle home first. This way you’re in no rush and can time how long it takes you. Also you’ll have to cycle to work the next day as you have no car then.
    Another tip- place your alarm clock away from your bed- this way you’ll have to get out of bed rather than stay in bed and end up driving to work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭confuddled

Thanks for those comments. I was talking to a guy in work today who lives beside me and cycles in – he says it takes him 25 minutes (though it’s a harder cycle on the way home). He’d be fitter than me but hopefully I could work up to that over time. I will definitely do a few trial runs over the weekend first.

I’m heading out tonight to look at a second hand bike so hopefully it will be okay – if it does me 6 months and I’m still enjoying the cycling it’s cheap enough that I could justify replacing it. I don’t know much about it except that
    - it’s a ladies 26” commuter/town bike
    - 16 gears
    - Good condition – barely used
    They’re looking for €90 for it – are there any definite no-nos I should look out for?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭nodger

confuddled wrote:
    3. Any tips for what to look for in a bike?

1. I started doing a 13 mile (each way) commute about a month ago. I was/am totally unfit, so I started off by doing 8-10 miles in the evenings, just to get accustomed to the bike and the roads.
    2. If you want to enjoy it, but still make reasonable time, I'd suggest allowing about 35 minutes.
    3. As others suggested - Larger wheels with slim tyres, no suspension.

Also - it's quite likely that traffic is a lot more aggressive & heavy than you remember it being before. Get a decent set of lights to make yourself very visible on the road, and also spend some money on a quality helmet!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

Keeping your bike wel lmaintained makes a huge difference. If you hit some potholes check if your wheels have become buckled (check this by spinning them and see if the rims rub off the brake blocks). If they are slightly buckled and rubbling off the brake blocks it will make it harder for you to cycle....like cycling with your brakes slightly pulled! A bike shop would be able to straighten your wheels if they aren't in too bad shape.
    Also check your tyre pressure every week. if your tyres are soft, this increases your rolling resistance so you won't go as fast and this also make its harder to cycle. Check the pressure rating on the tyres and either invest in a good track pump (the taller upright ones) or a footpump and make sure your tyres aren't too soft. So many friends I know cycle and when I've seen their bikes I've pumped up their tyres and they admitted straight away it made a huge difference.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭flickerx

confuddled wrote:
    I’m heading out tonight to look at a second hand bike so hopefully it will be okay – if it does me 6 months and I’m still enjoying the cycling it’s cheap enough that I could justify replacing it. I don’t know much about it except that
    - 16 gears
    They’re looking for €90 for it – are there any definite no-nos I should look out for?

You can probably get a new one for not much more in the Penny Farthing.

Make sure when you change the gears, the derailleurs (the little machines that move the chain onto the right chain ring) are working and move fully into place. 16 gears is a slightly strange number though. Its probably 10, 12, 15 or 18.

Make sure the wheels dont have any buckle or slight warp in them.

Make sure the brakes work ok. You shouldnt be able to push the bike forward with your hands if you jam on the front brake, and vice versa for the back ones.

There's other stuff to look out for but if you're just starting out that'll do you for now. Good luck with it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

confuddled wrote:
    - 16 gears
    My guess was 30 minutes the easy way. Probably an extra 5/10 minutes up the hill on the way back.

Can they prove they bought the bike? Like have they an invoice.

If it is in good condition I wouldn't be bothered if they used it a lot or a little, unless it doesn't ride well. Ask why are they getting rid of it?

And ask to try it out up and down the road.

And say something girlie like you would have bought it if it was pink, and then let them knock €10 or €20 off it, to get you to take it. Do not smile.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 132 ✭✭88show

when you got all that down learn to read the traffic
    you GOT to know whats going on at least 3 cars ahead, thats if your lane splitting, you have a right to be on the road but some drivers will think otherwise, its only intimidating if you let it get to you, pushies rule! and if you get addicted and start doin the serious k's then good for you!:cool:

Advertisement