Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Conversion

Options
  • 12-06-2007 9:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭

If someone has a degree in a subject, then they realise that a degree in a different subject would be more helpful for the career they want, is it possible to do a conversion course for one year or something, and if so, does anyone know how this works?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭rain on

This is something that preyed on my mind a lot as I was accumulating my extremely interesting but almost useless selection of degrees. Quite often you can do a H.Dip for a year in the subject you want to move into, and then do a masters off the back of that if needs be. Also there are a good few one-year masterses out there that are suitable for people who want to convert into that area from an unrelated background -- DCU's MSc in Multimedia and UCC's MBSs in Business Information Systems spring to mind. I used to feel very backed into a corner career-wise when I was studying English, till I did a bit of research and realised that once you have a degree in anything, you can convert to a really wide range of other courses. Even things like medicine are opening up now, with the GAMSAT thing.

What's your primary degree in and what area are you looking to move into?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭StormWarrior

I'm currently studying a degree in philosophy. However, because I want to live abroad, I'm thinking a degree in teaching english would be more useful. But I want to move abroad asap, I don't want to spend another 3 years doing a full degree.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭rain on

If it's a TEFL qualification you're after you can do pretty short courses that qualify you to teach. I don't think a full degree is necessary. The Teaching and Lecturing forum people would probably be more helpful on what TEFL courses are good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭StormWarrior

That won't do for me, because I want to live in Sweden and get a proper job, which will be impossible with a TEFL. I will need a proper degree, followed by the relevant Swedish training.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Esmereldina

That won't do for me, because I want to live in Sweden and get a proper job, which will be impossible with a TEFL. I will need a proper degree, followed by the relevant Swedish training.

I'd imagine your philosophy degree followed by a HDip or Masters in Tefl (which would be a proper qualification rather than the ones offered by the dodgy short part time or weekend courses) would qualify you for that... I think they might offer someting like that in UCD. I've never heard of a degree in Tefl (though, course they could exist ;) ) or did you mean one in primary education or something. That's the only specifically educational primary degree I've heard of, but even they you could do a postgraduate HDip after the primary degree...

Edit: When I was writing this first I though that you said you were doing English, and I realised later it was philosophy...:o Still I reckon an artsy primary degree would get you a place on a postgraduate Tefl course.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭H2G2

DCU do a Graduate Diploma in Information Technology, which is a conversion course for people who have non-computing degree's and want to move into computing / IT. Its a 1 year full-time (or 2 year part-time) and there is a follow on MSc in Information Technology which is part-time only.

I am sure there are lots of other 'conversion courses' out there as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭kabuk1

I have a BA in English Literature from the States. I started out in the science field, about a year of studies complete, but then I switched. I miss the science field and am interested in a conversion course that would help me get into engineering and renewable energy. I have some military credits in electronics, hydraulics & pneumatics and other courses in relation to maintaining and building missile systems.

I'm currently in Ireland training as an accountant, but I'm really hating the job and would rather being doing something more hands on. I miss the science field, the research and building of things. There seem to be loads of computer conversion course, which I might look into, but would prefer science or engineering.

Does anyone know of a HDip or another conversion course that will help get into a MEng course? I can't afford to do another 4 year degree, nor do I want to spend the time as I'm 27 years old. If I did do a computer science conversion course, would this qualify me for a MEng in electronic and computer engineering? I would be looking for something in Dublin, or within an hour train ride from Dublin CC.

Any thoughts are welcomed and appreciated. Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭dutchy15

hey kabuk1

I am trying to find out the exact same informtion as you. i have a degree in business Studies and some years experience in finance but really cannot do it anymore. I have contemplated training as an accountant but dont think i could go through another 3 to 4 years of study.

I really want to get into the renewable energy also but any courses i see requyire one to have a degree in Science or engineering which I dont have. It seems easy to do a conversion programme for IT so why not engineering?

Please let me knopw how you get on with your search.

Best of luck mate

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭kabuk1

dutchy15 wrote: »
    hey kabuk1

I am trying to find out the exact same information as you. i have a degree in business Studies and some years experience in finance but really cannot do it anymore. I have contemplated training as an accountant but don't think i could go through another 3 to 4 years of study.

I really want to get into the renewable energy also but any courses i see require one to have a degree in Science or engineering which I don't have. It seems easy to do a conversion programme for IT so why not engineering?

Please let me know how you get on with your search.

Best of luck mate

If you did lots of maths in your degree, then you may be able to do the HDip in Mathematical Science at UCD. This degree could help you get into their ME in Energy Systems.
    http://mathsci.ucd.ie/sms/postgraduate_files/HDipMathSci.html

If you're interested in sustainable development, something less technical in the renewable energy field, DIT has a masters course:
    http://www.dit.ie/study/postgraduate/browse/programmes/title,878,en.html

Apparently there is a 3-year program in London, where the first year is a distance course that catches you up with the final 2 years being a full-time on campus masters program. If you're interested in this, let me know and I'll get the information from my housemate.

Advertisement