Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Feeling at home.

Options
  • 12-06-2007 10:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭

For years I felt a strong pull towards Scandinavia. I had never visited the area, have no Scandinavian blood in me, and knew no one who had ever visited the area. Yet I was desperate to visit and even started learning Danish with a "teach yourself" tape.

Eventually I visited Scandinavia, Denmark, Sweden, Norway and Finland, and in all of them, especially in Sweden, it felt like coming home.

I have travelled to many different countries and never felt like this anywhere (not even my real home).

Scandinavia feels so right, it actually physically hurts and makes me feel like crying when I'm away from there. In desperation to live there, I got a job as an au pair in Sweden. Living there felt so right! I even find the language extremely easy to learn.

Sadly the au pair job came to an end and I had to return home. I visited Sweden and Denmark just last week and am now pining terribly for them again.

Do you believe that a person can feel like this if they are really meant to live somewhere? Alot of people find Scandinavians cold and unfriendly, but I don't have that problem with them. I get on very well with them and understand their mindset.

I am so desperate to live there again, but am currently about to start the second year of a philosophy degree. I don't know what that would prepare me to do in Sweden. Do you think that if someone is meant to live somewhere, it will happen? I really feel like I have a spiritual connection with the place and it hurts so much to be away from there!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 426 ✭✭maitri

Maybe you could take parts of the philosophy degree with söta bror in Sweden?
    Most of the curriculum would be in English anyway. Some exchange program perhaps?

(Though the quality of the education is probably better where you are...)

Lykke til!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭StormWarrior

do you think that if you feel such a strong connection with a place for no apparent reason, it can mean you're meant to be there?

do you think that if you feel such a strong connection with a place for no apparent reason, it can mean you're meant to be there?

Hej :)

It is very hard to answer such questions, especially for other people. I am not even sure if I understand what "meant to be" really means...

For me, personally, the most interesting question is not so much what is meant to be but rather: what do you want? Do you want to go there?

And if you want to go - as I believe you do from what you are writing;) : What is it that being in Sweden gives you that make you long so much to be there?
    What qualities in your life do you experience when you are there, that make you even desperate to go back, as you say?

Is it the feeling at home?

You say it "feels right" - what does that give you? What do you experience or are you in touch with, when something feels right?

I suppose if it's true that things are "meant to be", then that is necessarily what will happen, and also if things are meant to be, then what happens is what is meant to be?
    So if you're in London right now, that's where your meant to be right now, and if you go to Sweden next week or next month or next year, that's what's meant to be then, right?

I have also felt some places I have visited inexplicably (?) familiar and strangely welcoming in a way. I have no infallible explanations for that. I really don't feel I have to know why.
    I know other people with the same sort of experiences. Some have even dreamt about places and houses that they have never been to and then they go for a trip and there it is, just like in the dream.
    Some explain it with reincarnation or rebirth and feel they have lived there before, others have other theories. I don't know.

I do hope you find what you are looking for! I am sure you will. :)

Sköt om dig, StormWarrior!

M.

Yes I want to go there more than anything. When I say it feels right, it's a bit hard to describe what I mean, but basically, when I'm anywhere else (and I have lived in and travelled to alot of places) I always feel that something is missing. When I'm in Scandinavia, I feel complete. Anywhere else, I feel like I'm searching for something, or waiting for something to come along, but in Scandinavia I feel like the present moment is just right. I feel a happiness in Scandinavia, especially Sweden, that I just don't get anywhere else. I actually need to live there, I will never be happy otherwise. Surely the feeling must be so strong for a reason?

When I'm in Scandinavia, I feel complete. Anywhere else, I feel like I'm searching for something, or waiting for something to come along, but in Scandinavia I feel like the present moment is just right. I feel a happiness in Scandinavia, especially Sweden, that I just don't get anywhere else. I actually need to live there, I will never be happy otherwise. Surely the feeling must be so strong for a reason?

You know, as a Scandinavian I actually feel you are describing the only natural and right way to feel about Scandianavia, and I think that no deeper reasons are needed here. ;)

(But hpmf! What does Sweden have that Norway doesn't? :confused: )

Joke aside... I am sure there are reasons, but your guess is as good as my guess... (probably better since you know you, you know).

I believe you already have some thoughts yourself about what the reasons may be, and maybe they are right? Time will probably show. In the meantime, have a great time wherever you are!

Completeness and happiness...that's really something... you are lucky. It's what people usually seek when they fall in love, isn't it?
    Or when they work and have a "flow".

Ha en fin dag!:)

Maitri

• Advertisement

I am in love... with Scandinavia!

Oh, and by the way, although I feel most at home in Sweden, Norwegians are actually more friendly and better company than Swedes!;)

Ah, you just made my day! :D

God sommer!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭Asiaprod

For years I felt a strong pull towards Scandinavia. I had never visited the area, have no Scandinavian blood in me, and knew no one who had ever visited the area. Yet I was desperate to visit and even started learning Danish with a "teach yourself" tape.
    Interesting question. Had the same situation myself. I always had a burning ambition to live in Japan, but never thought I could make it there. Out of the blue I got the opportunity to go and have now been here 22 years (married with a kid). When I got here I had an overwhelming feeling of I had come home. Everything just felt natural. As a Buddhist, I can account for this by saying maybe A previous rebirth was in Japan, then again, I have a similar pull towards South America. Guess I will leave that one for a future rebirth.

Asiaprod wrote:
    I always had a burning ambition to live in Japan, but never thought I could make it there. Out of the blue I got the opportunity to go and have now been here 22 years.
    Did it feel predestined?

Did it feel predestined?
    In my case, and in retrospect, yes I believe so. I just had a compelling urge to go to Japan. The reason for me became very clear shortly after I arrived. I found my spiritual path, Buddhism, and later a wonderful wife. I also found myself to be totally in tune with the culture and quite at home.

• Advertisement

If you don't mind me asking, how old were you when you moved there?

If you don't mind me asking, how old were you when you moved there?
    Cheeky:D, Over thirty, but I kick myself every day for not having had the courage to do it earlier.

Do you think that the Gods, or Fate, or something, enabled you to move? I mean, did it feel easy and like it just slotted into place?

Do you think that the Gods, or Fate, or something, enabled you to move? I mean, did it feel easy and like it just slotted into place?
    I am not sure I understand the first part of this. I had to make the initial decision to move, and having done it, I did indeed feel like it slotted into place. I suppose I could say that it was my path that was calling me, though I could never prove that to anyone else. To put it simply, I did not hesitate to do it when the opportunity came my way, I never never once regretted moving, and I am very happy with where I am in my life. Does that answer your question?

Asiaprod wrote:
    As a Buddhist, I can account for this by saying maybe A previous rebirth was in Japan, then again, I have a similar pull towards South America. Guess I will leave that one for a future rebirth.

Not into the very dangerous trade of "building houses in the future", are you? ;)

Personally I have grown kind of fond of the idea that here and now is all there is.
    Anyway, the idea of rebirth after rebirth seems like a really depressing idea. If I have to go on existing after death - and if there is free choice - I think I'd rather go on as impersonal beneficial (hopefully..) energy. (Being a person is highly overvalued, IMO :D )
    But that's probably building a house in the future too...

---

While the thought: what is now is what is "meant to be", gives a kind of peace, I have always experienced that speculations about what is "meant to be" in the future bring a lot pain and suffering in the long run. (I'm not saying it's wrong, though. Being a genuine daydreamer, I've done it a lot, and probably still will till I (perhaps) learn my lesson. I guess there is still some hard won wisdom in it, maybe.)

Oh, sorry OP, I have gone off topic here... all I can say is that in my opinion the questions about what you want and what you seek are more important than questions about fate and what is meant.

I guess we all would like there to be a fate that ensures us that we really get what we desire, lust, pine and long for.

In my experience - and when I look at the world - there isn't. Or if there really is, fate's gifts are only for a while anyway. Then it takes it all back.
    It's both the sadness and beauty of it.

This is only my experience and I'd be happy of course, if this is not true for you. :)

Ha en super uke!

M.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭Sandy2004

I felt the same when I went to Amsterdam - this was the place that felt "home" to me. I visited a museum and found that the items on display were not new to me, when I listened to the stories of history, i felt that Id heard or seen snippets of what they were talking about before.

I went and got past life regression done and in a past life it all came clear to me... I was a dutch man in one of my past lives... The thought had crossed my mind about living there but after the regression realised it was just recognition. In looking forward to going back for a visit to see what else comes up for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭missmatty

Hey Sandy (and op sorry to hijack for a sec :o ) oh it's an old thread anyway.....

I'm really interested in going for past-life regression, did you do it in Dublin and was it a positive experience? Could you pm me a few details as I think this is an interesting thread and i don't want to drag it off course.

Fwiw I've always had that 'home' feeling about Edinburgh....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭Sandy2004

Ive pmd ya...

Advertisement