Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Biggest loss

Options
  • 12-06-2007 10:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭

Probably been done before I'm sure but search ain't working, what was your biggest loss ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

10pts New Zealand -11.5 against Ireland in the rugby test, last June on the opening night of the World Cup in Germany. Some of the loss was football profit. NZ won by 11.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,455 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Fantastic Light to beat Gallileo in the 2000 King George. Convinced there wasn't a lot between the horses and that 3/1+ FL was megavalue so had a high 3 figure sum on. Sadly Gallileo was a narrow winner.

2 months later had a much smaller but still decent bet for their rematch at Leopardstown in the Champion Stakes. I backed Gallileo that day :(

Sportswise had a huge (it was about 1weeks wages for me back then) e/w bet on Tranmere at 10s to win whats now the Championship when they were 5 points ahead with about 12 games to go. They finished 6th.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭badbrian

Lost IR£450 (huge money for me at the time and not an insignificant sum now) back spreadbetting on Golf in one of the WGC comps (It was definitely in Ireland and I think it was the K Club). Anyway I sold the field on the last day because the leaderboard was stacked with the world's best at the time and I couldn't see anyone coming from way back to finish high up. As I remember it Garcia shot 62 (chipped in for Eagle from a lie buried in the rough on 17) and Campbell shot 64 to both finish well and cost me. I was pale as a sheet watching it.
    I didn't spread bet much after that and have given it up altogether now that I'm older and wiser. I like to punt but don't like to lose more than I can easily afford.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

700 euro on a chelsea win

• Closed Accounts Posts: 404 ✭✭Bernard Hopkins

in the early days,...i remember loosing 100 quid, and spending the day trying to get it back,.... accumulating a big loss ,...like 400 euro , gutted !

lost on a trade once, where i backed the wrong bet in running.
    I backed williams to win next frame andbacked mc cullogh to win the match ,...thinking i had backed bot in the same market.

mc cullogh won the next frame and went on to blow the match !!
    loss 350 odd euro.....

lucky escape for me once when my ma's postman gave her a tip who told me who told my workmates,...
    anyway, i placed a £20 bet @16/1 , but we i clicked"proceed" the page came up "THIS PAGE CANNOT BE DISPLAYED"
    so i re-clicked it and the same again , and again, and again,........I had no idea the money was going down each time i rewfreshed the page !!!

it came in and we all got 4 times what we should have !!!!
    if the horse lost,... i wouldn't have been able to hit my workmates for the money !! my mistake,...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

400 on a frame of snooker. Shameful gambling

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭ErinGoBrath

300 on top of the league Chelski to beat a bottom of the league Everton. Finished 1-1.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

Lost €1k tonight on a double,

Serbia v Czech - Draw
    England V Italy - Draw

Serbia scored in the last minute, had it stayed a draw I would of got €10k.

I bet another €1k on England to draw, that won and I got €3,200, so it worked out OK in the end.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Ballyman

€600.

Was sitting on the couch at home last July, dying of a hangover, waiting for the Kerry v Cork Munster Final to start so I had a gander at Betfair to see what prices were available for the inevitable walk in the park for Kerry.

Kerry were 1/6 and lo and behold what did I have sitting in my account only €600. Sure this is like buying money says I!

70 minutes later I was violently sick all over the floor. Never ever again wil lI open up Betfair when dying of a hangover. No sensible decision can be made in that state.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭joe.

Fashion Fever 05 Jul 22:09 spacer.gif i like bartoli but not sure she should even be on a court with Justine

I got 16.5k in my BF account at the moment, and im gonna go all in, put my money where my mouth is

good luck everywon

on betfair forums ^^^^^^ V Henin

Not me but ouch!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

joe. wrote:
    Fashion Fever 05 Jul 22:09 spacer.gif i like bartoli but not sure she should even be on a court with Justine

I got 16.5k in my BF account at the moment, and im gonna go all in, put my money where my mouth is

good luck everywon

on betfair forums ^^^^^^ V Henin

Not me but ouch!

Yeah, 5 million was matched on Henin at 1.05 or lower. You have to worry about people like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Lost 180 quid on a Chelsea win the day I bought an electric picnic ticket and I was only 17.

6 months ago, some guy on betfair laid a horse @ 1000 for 475 sterling,

the horse was trading at a little over evens before that.

the poor bloke lost about 700,000 euro in less than 3 minutes.

a classic mistake of clicking "lay" instead of "back".

the bloke must of been loaded to have that much in his account, but even still ....

B-hop

DonJose wrote:
    Lost €1k tonight on a double,

Serbia v Czech - Draw
    England V Italy - Draw

Serbia scored in the last minute, had it stayed a draw I would of got €10k.

I bet another €1k on England to draw, that won and I got €3,200, so it worked out OK in the end.

Are you using Bookmakers or Exchanges ? with bets of that size ??

And also , just out of curiosity .... why did you pick 3 draws to back ??
    2 out of 3 is fine result !, could do with a few tips :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 864 ✭✭✭Aedh Baclamh

You know when you're down a good bit, then suddenly you get back to where you started and all is rosey? And you **** it up again straight away by losing 1/4 of your bank?

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 11,370 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

You know when you're down a good bit, then suddenly you get back to where you started and all is rosey? And you **** it up again straight away by losing 1/4 of your bank?

:(

Only too well, and when you're down the first time you're saying I'm happy just to break even. When you do break even it's not enough. Ah sure you learn from your mistakes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭Cos88

Not my loss, but there's a rumour going around town {Wexford} that the manager of one of the trendyish pubs borrowed €20,000 from the pub's safe last sunday morning to put on Galway to beat Sligo. I forget what odds they were but it probably seemed like an easy 4/5k to him. But he lost. Obviously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 722 ✭✭✭busted flush

my biggest loss outside poker was 200 euro on cork in the hurling final laast year. my biggest loss in poker was 500 euro in a live cash game in cork about 6 months ago . i did not mind the loss so much but the stress of hiding it from the wife was brutal

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

€6 - and the loss is still p*ssing me off :rolleyes:

Advertisement