Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

400m horrors!

• 12-06-2007 11:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭

Hey question for any fellow 400m runners. Are ye ever absolutely obliterated after like every race? I'd be in a bad way. I'd be weak as anything, head-ache, muscles attacking me in mutany, stsomach in bits, wanting to vomit and generally feeling like a stampeeding herd of elephants has just trampled u. How do I reduce this nightmare?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭stepperupper

I kno the 800 is bloody awful aswell but the 400 is a more intense discomfort (even if it is not as lingering).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭thirtyfoot

I'd say you need to change your training program. What kind of sessions do you currently do?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 452 ✭✭Domer

I would say your feelings are consistant with running your best!!

The 400 is the hardest sprint event of them all, and possibly the hardest event on the track, so much so that juveniles in this country are not aloud to run it at all until they are about 16 or 17. Research has shown that the stress it places on the vascular system over a period of time can result in a thickening of the heart wall.

I remember when I used to race, a 48 second 400 would kill me, cause me to vomit and generally feel wrecked, yet I could run the first lap of an 800 in 50/51 comfortably, and still run a 1:48.... ah the good old day!! I think its the lactate that kills you!!!

Domer

Domer wrote:
    The 400 is the hardest sprint event of them all, and possibly the hardest event on the track,

Throw in 10 3ft hurdles and you have the hardest of them all, the "man-killer" itself the 400m hurdles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 432 ✭✭Linford

Along the lines of what Domer said. If you don't feel light headed, legs wobbly, unable to breath and nauseous you haven't run hard enough. I was a 100m/200m runner in a previous life and while I ran 400s in training I only once ran a competitive 400m... never again....

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

I found after a few years that I could consistently run 51 seconds and be absolutely wrecked after it, but the couple of times I dipped under 51 I was absolutely fine afterwards. I never broke 50. I suppose I should try again while I'm still the right side of 30.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭stepperupper

sorry guys i got banned for talking about "you know what". I'd say the pain just gets easier with training. Still I do a good bit of lactic work. Only been training about 3 times a week this yr tho. I do seem to be able to push myself beyond my abilities tho. The result is unpleasant but worth it. :D

http://www.elitetrack.com/articles/effectivetrainingforgruelingrace.pdf

Here is a recent article added to elitetrack.com on the subject of 400m training.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭Marathon Man

Tingle wrote:
    http://www.elitetrack.com/articles/effectivetrainingforgruelingrace.pdf

Here is a recent article added to elitetrack.com on the subject of 400m training.

Great link Tingle. I went to the main site too and its awesome. Thanks.

Advertisement