Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork Radio Chat Shows

Options
  • 12-06-2007 11:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭

What do you prefer Prenders or Vic Barry? Love or Loathe him Prenders is a Cork tradition at this stage, so he gets my vote, Viv Barry's show used be good but its gone downhill last few months it's turned into a same caller show to much chat about 'boy racers' callers are the same,

Barry has an obsession about the two same weird al yankovic he plays on a loop, throw in his constant chat about what he cooked yesterday, his dogs, etc turned self centered, a great chat show gone down in a rapid speed so Prenderz or Barry?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

I prefer Vic, except when he does the ridiculous psychic predictions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭idlesupernova

ned78 wrote:
    I prefer Vic, except when he does the ridiculous psychic predictions.

I was the same until recently, but what I originally posted is my reasons for not liking the show anymore, God ya, those Monday night psychics are awful,cringe worthy wastes of time

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭DJ Hafez

I miss Charlie Wolfe :(

I was the same until recently, but what I originally posted is my reasons for not liking the show anymore, God ya, those Monday night psychics are awful,cringe worthy wastes of time

The singing psychic, Fran Baskerville is the best of all. She's tone deaf, and knows 4 chords on her guitar. Most callers ask questions like "Will I find love", and her answer is "Well, I see you with a man, and a uh uh oh, and hey hey hey, and yeah yeah yeah". That's not a prediction hun, and it's certainly not music.

In fairness to Vic, the only reason he blabs about his personal life, is to fill gaps between shows. I had Eimear ringing me constantly for about a month to come on air and discuss topics, as it's much harder for them to find callers at night, than it is for Prendeville and the endless jingle fest that is ninty-sh*t FM to find contributors in the morning.

I dont like either of them, but being forced to choose I would say I preferred Prenders. I just hate Vics show. I hate the way he talks down to people, especially people who disagree with him. Charlie Wolf was crap as well,I'm glad he's gone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

i couldnt stand Neil for years - and i still cant stand him....however since i moved away from cork i have found myself listening online to him in the mornings...

i suppose it is nostalgia more than anything.

It's a love hate thing with Neil, you just have to listen, Cork Talks Back has just gone to ****, the same topic and callers non stop, 'John' biggest twat in Cork, maybe should be in the characters of Cork thread,

He rings in every radio station in the country, heard him on Darcy,Liveline,Pat Kenny even Prenders, but I am the only one who notices the non stop playing of weird al yankovic, its doing my head in at night, I have to get up at a god for saken hour so I lie there with it on, the last 5 months it's dull and predictable.

I know I could just tune out but I love listening to John and Sonia:)

Just into bed after watching the Sopranos, turn the radio on, the mindblowing, stunning music of Weird Al Yankovic is hitting me:confused:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Prendeville's an egomaniacal wanker, I wouldn't widdle on him if he was on fire.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭wiseolsham

What do you prefer Prenders or Vic Barry? Love or Loathe him Prenders is a Cork tradition at this stage, so he gets my vote, Viv Barry's show used be good but its gone downhill last few months it's turned into a same caller show to much chat about 'boy racers' callers are the same,

Barry has an obsession about the two same weird al yankovic he plays on a loop, throw in his constant chat about what he cooked yesterday, his dogs, etc turned self centered, a great chat show gone down in a rapid speed so Prenderz or Barry?

Neil might be a Cork tradition (well he has been on the radio for donkeys)but he is the one that is going downhill if you ask me. Ive been listening to cork talks back for about a year and a half now and actually have found it go from average to really good.you seem to know more about vic than neil, but why say the only thing that they talk about is boy racers. Ive heard them talk about it, but only in the blue moon. i think its like people will always associate neil with wheelie bins, and as u pointed out vic and boy racers.

Take a look at the page on redfm.ie and you'll see theres tonnes of diversity in topics. as for the same callers ive heard, like you, yer man jonh on every station known to man. every talk show has regular callers and listeners. I listen to Sean Moncrief alot during the day at work and he seems to keep quoting the same listeners day in day out. out of all my time listening to prenders and vic, vic is the least of the 2 that talks down to any of the listeners. he's raised his voice from time to time but ive heard neil put listeners down so much and ramming his opinion down their throat, which is great for a while but it certainly gets boring after so long.

my mother is constantly trying to get on the psychic thing, im not a big fan of it, but at times it hilarious. shes been told that she'd have to try next week as so many people were after ringing in for it. no doubt it wouldnt be on there for so long if it wasnt doing any good.

• Advertisement

The pyshcic is popular but still patheic, 'hows me love life' I like anoyher poster have been rang out of the blue to go on the show, they got my number from competition enteries, to 'heat things up' I wasrang twice a day for almost 2 weeks which I found an annoyance.

Prenders is a pompus know it all and he knows it so plays up to it

Barry is a popmus know it all but doesnt know it

Love him or loathe him Prenders winds people up on purpose, but has a real common touch with Cork people.

We are all entitled to an opinion but I disagree on the 'once in a blue moon' boy racer talks there were constant and done to death 3 times a week for 6months.

Some nights CTB is brillnat to listen to, but sadly not anymore, again this week to much gibberish studio talk to pass time and good ol weird Al, lately I reckon an hour of the show is taken up with Weird al and dull talk that has nothing to do with anything. I have 3 friends who tuned out 4 months ago due to the shows decline.

But CTB is becoming a Cork tradition as well and I will always tune in with the hope things will improve, maybe move away from the stale topics of late and throw in the Iraq war and 9-11 conspiracy, watch the wackos ring in and cause a radio riot, brillant:)

I listen to RedFM because I find 96FM's constant jingles annoying, and their DJ's a little OTT as well as unprofessional, and on top of all that, I hate 96FM's choice of Music. Unfortunately though, RedFM's Philip Bourke is almost as annoying as Ken Tobin on 96fm with his annoying laugh, and RedFM's holier-than-thou break the cycle campaign is a nightmare to listen to.

dahamsta wrote:
    Prendeville's an egomaniacal wanker, I wouldn't widdle on him if he was on fire.
    Victor Barry is too, and as already pointed out , he just doesnt realise it yet. His show is just full of waffle and BS that he thinks is important.

Only way to solve this is a celebrity boxing match!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭wiseolsham

for crying out loud, this thread is pointless at this stage. I know prenders is full of **** but how do you figure vic is the same and "doesnt know it yet" any chance of a justified opinion, for a change. How has the show declined? How have the topics gone to ****?, as I said look at the cork talks back page of redfm.ie

Neil has a common touch, gimme a break. He's a self centered, selfish individual. all Ive heard him talk about in the last few weeks is "Oh we had a fabulous meal here and we had a fabulous meal there" every feckin morning. The common folk of cork, myself included arent eating out 7 nights a week. So the common touch statement is ridiculous, as is your boy racer comment, 3 times a week for 6 month, for crying out loud idlesupernova. I may as well say neil was talking about wheelie bins 3 times a week for 6 months! And then theres the hour of compeitions, neil is stretching the **** out of the show at times. while at times I think the show is fantastic, but lately is at a big slow down. He spent an entire show blabbing on about a cruise liner coming into cobh.

I also find the new intros and things on 96 ear drum bursting. I heard one their the other night, the playing the hits thing and some young fella came on after it. Disaster.

The celebrity boxing match sounds like a good idea alright. Id say Neil would **** himself, lol.

Either way, theres not much point lashing out unjustified opinions here for the sake of it. Both shows are very good and at times and have had their moments of ****eness, like everything else. But theres more than 2 radio shows broadcast in cork, that said though lots of people I know, myself included will listen to neil in the morning, newstalk in the afternoon and vic at night.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Heh, a post complaining about opinions about opinionated radio talk show hosts.

Agreed, Celeb boxing is the only solution. but Il stand over my comments so no point arguing to sleep over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Big Tone

Ulsterman1690 is correct in his analysis when he states that successive governments were to blame for the death of RTE Cork in 2000.

The station was rebranded 89FM (on 89.2mHz) back in 1989 when the new local stations were about to begin RTE were ahead of the posse. RTE Cork Local Radio, as it had previously been known as, was launched back in the 70s to cater to the growing second city population served the city well with its popular Corkabout and Drivetime programmes and was completely local in every sense.

At present Cork is poorly served radio-wise. 96FM is a music driven station with its 20% news/current affairs build around The Opinion Line (Mon-Fri 9am-noon) and its local news service (which is switched to INN from 7pm) and Red FM is another music driven station who's 20% is filled with Cork Talks Back (Sun-Thurs 9pm-midnight) and also have a local news service. One wonders if the obligatory 20% output was not part of the licence would these stations even bother with the above!? Somehow music would eventually take precedence, afterall it is the cheaper option.

Now with the era of DAB+ etc and RTE making nice profits with index-linked TV Licence price hikes, increased ad revenue etc maybe its time to take another look at the possibilites to launch a digital version of RTE Cork, which would cater to the people of the city and county, local people and our new foreign nationals, to help them integrate more into the local population and to at last have a station that is by the people, for the people.

Who heard Cork Talks Back Wednesday? I missed it, I was wondering if their huge blunder was corrected, I mailed Wednesday after seeing a huge mistake or a cheap merging of stories for outrage. From website,

http://www.redfm.ie/corktalksback/default.html

Also-distributors have banned the sale of video game Manhunt on grounds that it includes a CCTV image of James Bulger being abducted and that it encourages extreme violence and "casual sadism".Are they right to ban it or is this harmless as it is just a video game?

Blatantly false. its a Law And Order dective game the Bulger case is from

SKYNEWS

Anger Over Bulger Computer Game
    Updated: 03:02, Wednesday June 20, 2007

A computer game that featured a CCTV image of James Bulger being abducted has been withdrawn by its distributors.

James Bulger was killed in 1993
    'Law and Order: Double or Nothing' showed a picture of the two-year-old being led away from a Merseyside shopping centre by Jon Venables and Robert Thompson.

A fictional detective in the game then refers to the abduction when he asked gamers to solve a kidnapping.

James' mother, Denise Fergus, complained to the game's manufacturers.

She told Sky News the use of her son's murder in a computer game was "below contempt".

Advertisement

"Using that terrible picture of James as part of a game is sick," she said.

"It dehumanises the memory of my lovely son. To use him in a game is below contempt."

The CCTV image, which was taken at the New Strand Shopping Centre in Bootle in 1993, can be seen pinned to wall of a police station.

In it, James can be seen being led away to his death by the two 10-year-olds.

He was then battered to death on a railway line.

The CCTV still can be seen in top righthand corner
    Thompson and Venables were convicted of murder and pair spent eight years in youth custody before being released in 2001 with new identities.

The California-based developer of Law and Order: Double of Nothing, Legacy Interactive, is reported to have apologised for the distress caused and said the photograph would be removed from future copies.

The game has been withdrawn from sale by its UK distributor Global Software.

A company statement said: "It has come to our attention that there may be a image in the game that causes offence.

"As such we have decided to cease selling the game until a full investigation is carried out."

Did anyone hear? Was it corrected? The thing is still on the website now! Maybe my mail did'nt get through.

I thought with RED's new re boot we'd get summit new, but YAY car insurance, feeling sleppy so so sleppy, wish I hadnt already seen the Sopranos:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 722 ✭✭✭busted flush

niall... oops neal is in his own opinion corks answer to the good lord jesus himself! i know he has a job to do but "man" he does love the sound of his own voice. im of the opinion, that he has no real personality he is like a parisite, and will live in the host of what ever topic is en vogue at the time of airing. he likes to think he is a man of the people , claming to be a native northsider, which is fair enough, but if he loves the high altitude of knocka or the beautiful balmy hops aromat of blackpool so much why the fuc.k is he living in swamp land in douglas?
    victor barry .....or vic as he is known aint that much better ,but he is better. he too loves his own voice abeit not as much as our douglas kid/man/god! vic tends to waffle on about his girlfriend a tad to much and the macho bravado he exudes regarding marriage is at best tiresome.The listeners (regular listeners/contributers), tend to be a tad dull with the same boring imputs, to at this stage same boring topics. I do feal however that if the rolls were reversed and niall...sorry your lordship i mean neal and vic exchanged jobs neal would fade to black very quickly and vic might very well find himself living on some marshy plain eating a crossaint and drinking a mocha!

• Registered Users Posts: 44 fruitcake

hmmm neil prenderville, words don't adequately sum up his inadequacy and car crash radio style!
    Still á la meme temps (as they say in France!) he is strangely compulsive listening...whether its his half baked rants on Ireland's new multicultaralism ("I mean you go into a restuaraunt,as an ordinary decent tax paying citizen and no-one speaks English, whats that all about??") or his musings on the general state of the nation, or his unmasked adulation for Gerry Ryan ("He's a damm fine broadcaster!") you cannot deny that inspite of all his cringe worthiness, a morning spent listening to his various blistering diatribes on whatever he happens to pluck out of the air on a particular morning does make for "damm fine entertainment"! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Big Tone

Listen, Prendeville is an old dog for the road, he's been doing "chat" shows since the pirates of the early 80s (when Victor Barry was still in huggies!) namely South Coast and ERI when he used the pseudonom of Jim Lockhart(?), so he's a past master at riling people and getting under their skin and if he wasn't doing that then he would head off into the sunset and open his long-threatened restaurant.

On the other hand Victor is relatively new to the talk show scene and to be fair is making a good job of it too.

Just tuned in to Barry, he's rattling on about his missus,going shopping and food being left in his car again, shocking.

Advertisement