Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Handy torch for the average astronomer in Lidl €12.99

Options
  • 12-06-2007 11:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭

Hi all i've been here before under a different username, so Hi again!!

Just wanted to tell you, here is a nice light in lidl for map/chart reading etc.. I have bought a LED light in lidl before and i have to say that they are great. The battery life is really good because they are LED.
    With an adjustable strength this is really good for the eyes at night so enjoy and tell me pros & cons of this product if you have an opinion as i dont know if im gonna get it or not.
    Thanks!!
    :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

A red LED torch would be even better as red light will effect natural night vision less than white light.

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭Sn@kebite

A red LED torch would be even better as red light will effect natural night vision less than white light.
    true, but it would be more clear if reading something, because we see B&W in the dark. Do you ever notice that red can bluer the word on the page or the map lines?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,425 Mod ✭✭✭✭slade_x

Sn@kebite wrote:
    true, but it would be more clear if reading something, because we see B&W in the dark. Do you ever notice that red can bluer the word on the page or the map lines?

If you ever go to a star party, for your own safety please do not bring or use a standard torch. white light even for a split second ruins your dark eye adaption, it will take you an hour or more depending on your eyes to re adapt.

The majority of beginners miss a lot of detail or claim to not see "anything at all" when trying to observe faint objects because they do not allow for dark eye adaption, depending on your eyes it can take from a half an hour up to an hour and a half for full dark eye adaption

If you need a light, a red led keychain can easily be found at your local automotive store. the type used to find the keyhole in your car door.

Focused white light is painful to any well dilated pupil. when you have fully adapted it can be seriously painful, some people have been known to even complain of headaches due to such exposure

*** The more Dilated the Pupil the more light it will let in ***

Advertisement