Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Soya Milk recommendations

• 13-06-2007 12:09am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 237 ✭✭

I'm trying to reduce my milk intake, so does anyone have any recommendations for unsweetened soya milk. I got 1 recently and it was horrible. Some of it seems pretty dear, €3 / litre.
    I'd use it in cereals and for drinking straight, not in tea/coffee.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭che81

maybe this should be moved to the veggie section where people would a better idea.

i gave up dairy last year and found soy milk quite hard to stomach at first, but couldn't live without it now. my favourite brand is Alpro. i don't know which brand you tested. the tesco organic range is also quite good and quite cheap. are you set on using the unsweetened? the sweetened might be better for drinking and cereal. or rice milk (but that's more expensive)

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭microgirl

Sweetened is generally a better bet and an easier transition than unsweetened, as cow's milk is naturally very sweet anyway, because of the lactose and other sugars. Alpro Fresh (the one in the fridge) is generally the nicest. The ones not kept in the fridge are UHT, and just like there's a difference in taste between UHT cow's milk and fresh cow's milk, with the UHT massively the loser, so there is with fresh and UHT soya milk. Tesco's also do an own-brand fresh soya milk in the fridge, but it's sweetened with sugar/corn syrup as opposed to the Alpro which is sweetened with apple juice concentrate.

And don't expect it to taste anything like cow's milk, or indeed to taste "nice" if all you've ever had is cow's milk. It is a completely different taste and will take getting used to, *especially* if you're only having it on it's own or in cereal, with nothing to mask the taste. Drinking it in tea or coffee first helps you adjust (though I realise you may simply not drink these beverages :))

Very few people I know who drink soya milk regularly drink it on it's own. I know I certainly can't, though I'll happily drink a glass of fresh goat's milk.

I've been drinking goat's and soya milk since the age of 5 (now 31), with the exception of 5 or 6 years as a teenager/young adult when I thought I knew better ;), due to a dairy intolerance :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 237 ✭✭lukegriffen

Thanks for the replies, I'll try Alpro next time. I didn't name the one i tasted, since i guessed half the problem may be me getting used to it. When i was living in the US for a while, there was some really nice soya drinks, but they must have been all sweetened.

"Alpro Fresh (the one in the fridge) is generally the nicest. The ones not kept in the fridge are UHT..."

I don't quite understand this long-life business, all the soya milk i've seen in the refrigerated section all have best before dates of 2008, so in effect are uht.
    So do they need to be stored in the fridge, or is this just for sales purposes ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Mantel

As an alternative even to soya why not try rice milk? My girlfriend has been drinking a vanilla falvoured rice milk for awhile now, I tried it myself and it was quiet nice and easy to drink on it's own. She has it by itself, in tea and in porridge. I belive it's the Rice Dream brand she gets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭ciaran76

A few months ago I changed from cow's milk to Soya milk and now I could not go back to cow's milk.

I usually buy the Alpro brand Soya milk but have also bought the Marks and Spencers branded soya milk and the Lidl one.
    I think the M&S was very nice.

I recently ran out of soya milk and went to the local shop which also had had none so I bought a pint of cow's milk for my cereal. But after one spoonfull I had to throw it out. I can't stand it anymore and I also noticed I don't get heartburn in the mornings anymore which I think was down to alot of milk I was drinking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭hamsterboy

Also if you prefer an unsweetened taste at a great priice, Tesco value unsweetened soya milk. 95c per litre and tastes great in tea and on cereals etc. Can be used in cooking too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Babs

Hey guys
    I was told recently to cut dairy out of my diet. I can't stomach Rice or Soya milk but have been taking Oatly, an oat milk, with my cereal and it's great esp if you put in on porridge. It def goes better with cereal as it has a bit of a cereal taste. Its also good in tea and coffee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

I get the Tesco sweetened one that's in a cream and blue carton(not the value one) - it's sweetened with apple concentrate and its way cheaper than Alpro(about €1 vs €3) and much nicer IMO - they sell it in the fridge and on the shelf but there's no difference in taste. I started by buying a few different brands so I could see what I liked. At first I liked Alpro sweetened best but it's a bit pricey so I switched to Tesco Organic because it was a euro cheaper. One day my local tesco had a new one that was half the price of the organic one so I tried that and haven't looked back. You want 6 or 7% soya so it tastes creamy - anything less will taste too watery at first and you probably won't be able to stomach it/get used to the taste..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭lady_j

I know some people suggested sweetened but I think you'd be better off unsweetened soya. I've been drinking milk alternatives for a number of years so here is my opinion!

1) Alpro Soya Unsweetened Organic (about 2€ in supermarket or a ridiculous €3.50 in Spar :eek: )
    2) Tesco Organic Unsweetened (about €1.70 I think)
    3) Aldi Unsweetened (cheap under a euro)
    4) Lidl Unsweetened (as above)

If I couldn't get any of those, I'd get rice milk but its quite sweet and not great in tea
    M&S is sweet and has a very different taste to other brands, I personally wouldnt buy it
    Kelkin is very watery and not very nice
    Tesco value soya milk is quite frankly MUCK! Wouldnt touch the stuff

Its just a matter of adjustment, once you change you'll find cow's milk very heavy and creamy- I cant drink it anymore

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Acid_Violet

Alpro organic for me. I've seriously cut down on my dairy products recently, which is a shame because they're my favourite food type! Anyone know if there are any soya-milk cheeses or yoghurts or ice-creams or anything similar (or is that a really dumb question?)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭che81

there are millions of soya cheeses, yogurts and ice creams. the cheeses are the ones that are hardest to replicate, but i do like some tofutti cheese slices in a toasted sandwich. for ice creams look for swedish glace. yum!!! especially the vanilla or choc ices. the alpro and sojasun yogurts are quite nice too. you will get yogurts in a normal supermarket, but will usually have to go to a healthshop for cheese and ice cream.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Try any of them really, after you get used to them oyu will probably like them and could not go back to dairy milk, seems to be what happens to most people I notice.
    Also try oat milk/rice milk etc

Try Sunflower spreads instead of butter too, mmmmmmm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 981 ✭✭✭flikflak

I started on the blue Alpro one but now drink the Tesco value unsweetened one which is only 88c.

I think its best to start with a sweetened one then go from there.

Soya yoghurts can be found in most supermarkets nowadays and fake cheese can be found in most health food shops

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

There's no such thing as soya milk.

Advertisement