Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Physics

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭Turnip2000

carlowboy wrote:
    WTF? Surely it does? I'll have a look at the syllabus.

Ye i was full sure that it was a definite Q. Oh no.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭carlowboy

I'll know by tomorrow and let it be known.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Nehpets

Turnip2000 wrote:
    In this experiment (A proportional F)

As you remove the weights from the string hanging over the edge do you..

a) Place them onto the vehicle? OR
    b) just remove them altogether for every separate run.

I know im leaving it a bit late but this is confusing the hell outa me??:mad:

You have plenty of time! :D As mentioned the weights are transferred from the string to the trolley to keep the mass constant.

What way are people doing this exp? Ticker tape or light gates? Light gates for me.

carlowboy wrote:
    WTF? Surely it does? I'll have a look at the syllabus.

Nope it doesn't have to come up. If it comes up it has to be a dual-question. i.e Particles physics question AND Applied Electricity question. That's why you only have to do one of them. It's bound to come up unless the dep. are feeling mean.

Btw, 4 marks in the paper = 1% and in general one peice of information = 3 marks.

Exps are marked as Method 10 - 15, Maths 15-20 and Accuracy 5 -10. That's giudeline only I suppose

• Registered Users Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Fobia

carlowboy wrote:
    I'll know by tomorrow and let it be known.

In 2fm's "606" show on physics, they said the option doesn't necessarily have to come up, but it's likely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭carlowboy

Thanks, probably still will though.

Anyone hear the podcast "getting it right". Its pretty good. Said that they'll put some of the nuclear physics in with the particle physics to make it less easy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭Feddd

My hopeful team is:

Q5 shorts are a must imo

Q6 I do applied maths. hah! Mechanics in physics is playschool if you do applied maths.

Q12 Questions with options are always sweet and to the point and one is always mechanics with another usually being electron/nuclear.

Electron/Nuclear physics(One always comes up with the other normally in Q12)

Option

If anything gos wrong then theres always ones inbetween. My teacher reckons static elec and doppler will come up in longs this year(He judged that by looking at last year's shorts)

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭Turnip2000

Ye mechanics in physics is a cake walk if you do applied maths. Especially now that angular velocity came up last year. its gota be a nice one!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

Qs 5, 6, 12 and the option should be grand. It's just the other one I'm shakier on. I got an A in the mocks, but it's gonna have to be a perfect paper :eek:.

Q12, be sure to know EMI. They seem to like t ask it ther, but here's hopin for a full question on it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

Yeah, EMI looks hard, but it's actually an incredibly easy question.

• Advertisement

What is EMI?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

Electromagnetic Induction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭madnirvana

Fobia wrote:
    In 2fm's "606" show on physics, they said the option doesn't necessarily have to come up, but it's likely.

hey it came up since 2002 till now... hopefully thi year aswell..
    like it wont be nice if it doesnt..:mad:

it has to.

JC 2K3 wrote:
    Electromagnetic Induction.

Oh yeah.. I knew that <_< .. >_>

This will be a fun weekend!

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭WildCardDoW

Going over experiments, to guarantee some marks, then covering all the definitions, I'm using the papers and the marking sheets off the internet to help me in all section. [Very handy for Seciton A]. Hopefully it goes well, have a few days to study it. :)

My teacher was diabolical though, his system of teaching isn't very good and I came out of physics more confused more often than not. I odn't expect a good grade, hoping my maths and ability to remember random things [i.e definitions of everything] pulls me through. After that music, in which I am not prepared but hopefully A'd my practical.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

I predict,
    A;
    Mechanics exp;
    F against A

A heat experiment

Electricity exp;
    The thermistor

A light experiment

B;
    SHM
    Particle physics coupled with modern physics (theyve ran out of things to ask :D )
    and a question on waves.

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭WildCardDoW

They will have no problem repeating questions IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 279 ✭✭adam_ccfc

They will have no problem repeating questions IMO.
    They have to at some stage.

Advertisement